Book Readings

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have been tapped to give a reading of a short story I contributed to an anthology at Seattle's prestigious University Bookstore. I have a five minute limit. I think I can run through the story in that time, but if not, do I just give an excerpt? Or just the beginning?

Any other advice? I've never done one before but am prepared to be entertaining.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I have been tapped to give a reading of a short story I contributed to an anthology at Seattle's prestigious University Bookstore. I have a five minute limit. I think I can run through the story in that time, but if not, do I just give an excerpt? Or just the beginning?

Any other advice? I've never done one before but am prepared to be entertaining.

Practice, and time yourself. If you can get through the whole thing, great. If you can't? Choose a more-or-less coherent excerpt, beginning or otherwise. Read something you think will make them want to read the rest.

I'm aware of being a fast talker, so I practiced taking my time, including where I needed to breathe. I got through a lot less in five minutes than I thought I would (or that I could have, if I'd just motored through it). If you can get someone to listen to you practice, so much the better.

Good luck, and have fun. :)

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
What lizmonster said. When you practice, aim to speak as slowly as you can. That will give you a more accurate estimate for those five minutes. And you might try marking places to take a break and drink a sip of water. I've also been told to choose an excerpt *not* from the beginning, but that's up to you. Sometimes later excerpts mean you have to given an intro.

David Odle

Chasing the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.davidodle.com
Yep, I would practice it and see how far you get in 5 minutes. If you get through the whole thing, then you're done. If not, pick a really good 5 minute piece. I'd be curious to know how it goes.

I've never done it either, but I've been asked to do a reading and not sure if I want to. They said I could just do a sit and sign as well but they prefer a reading. My insecure fear - I'll stand up to read and alas, there ain't no one sitting out there.

I'd love to hear how it goes for you. Good luck!

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I've never done it either, but I've been asked to do a reading and not sure if I want to. They said I could just do a sit and sign as well but they prefer a reading. My insecure fear - I'll stand up to read and alas, there ain't no one sitting out there.

FWIW, I've heard numerous anecdotes from even well-established authors about readings where there was nobody there (or nobody but their mom :)). Think of it this way: at the very least, it's good practice, and you'll entertain your hosts.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I did this once, and it was a blast! Time yourself, and don't try to rush it. I think it would be better to give a compelling reading of a snippet than to rush through the whole thing. My story was short enough I didn't have to worry about time, and I'm not sure what I would have done had I had to cut it short. For that case, I think I would have read the last half, and maybe given a "our story so far" synopsis for the first 15 or so seconds of my time.

An aside, this reading was done as a conference call, and we could hear the other callers. One story was, shall we say, trying too hard, and when it was done all the other listeners were breathless. "Exquisite!" "Incredible!" "Beautiful and you are a beautiful person!" while I stiffled a "Lol, whut?" Then my story, which had death in the first sentence! Action! Relatable characters! A Vonnegutian/O Henrian gobsmacking ending! was met with "Huh." "Int. . . eresting." "Thanks." Oh well, you can't win them all.

David Odle

Chasing the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.davidodle.com
Think of it this way: at the very least, it's good practice, and you'll entertain your hosts.

Good point. This is one arranged by the publisher in a town 1,200 miles away. At the very least, no one knows me and I can lie about what happened.