How to get an author to stop attaching my name to his work

SarahJane

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so I used to make cover art for other authors. I've since stopped because it was more trouble than it was worth, and quite frankly, I wish I'd never done it at all.

There is one author who self-published his book on multiple platforms and I guess he entered my name in somewhere, because if you search for my name, his book pops up and it appears as though I am a co-author of it. When I first noticed this, I emailed him and asked him to change it. He said he didn't know how to fix it. I emailed Amazon and got no reply.

This isn't the biggest deal, but it irks me. Does anyone know if I have any options available to fix this?

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's possible that he entered your name as another contributor to the work in the book's metadata. This information is attached to the book's ISBN(s). If he owns the books that list you as a contributor, he may be able to alter the metadata through his Bowker account. Otherwise, there's a chance he could change it wherever the book is published, for example, at KDP he would need to edit the book details. Some details, like the title, are not editable once a book is published. I don't know whether the "contributors" section is editable but in any case, that's where he needs to start.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
At one time, Amazon allowed you to list the cover artist or illustrator as a contributor. Pretty sure it still does.

He needs to go to his Bookshelf, select the book, then Edit Details from the three-dot button. About a third of the way down is the section for other contributors (after Author and before Description). There's a Remove button by each contributor.

SarahJane

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Devil Ledbetter and cmhbob. I'll email him again and ask him to change it if he can.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Amazon can also remove it. If the author self published use the KDP help system and escalate after the first reply (which will be something unhelpful generally).

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Just checked on one of my books. It looks like it shouldn't be any problem removing a contributor, at least on Amazon.

SarahJane

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, veinglory and rwm. The author isn't responsive, so I'll try contacting Amazon (and then with Nook, etc).

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
Thanks, veinglory and rwm. The author isn't responsive, so I'll try contacting Amazon (and then with Nook, etc).

You know, it occurred to me that I did list my editor as the editor in the book metadata for one of my books, and on the product data page it appeared as if she was a co-author, so I ended up deleting it in the metadata.