In the UK was have an organisation called ALCS they collect money from people who use your work. For example, we write a lot of magazine articles and then once a year we get a payment from ALCS (a lot of money). The USA doesn't have the same system in which for example libraries/universities have to log and pay when they make copies of your work. However, they do appear to have a system in which if you publish in the USA and that work is the used in the UK (or other counties that reimburse) then you get payments. However, I can only see organisation that do this for music and art work and not the written word.

Does anyone know anything about this? Is there an organisation in the USA that covers the written word that I'm missing?