Royalties from your freelance work (USA or other)

alext262

Registered
Reaction score
In the UK was have an organisation called ALCS they collect money from people who use your work. For example, we write a lot of magazine articles and then once a year we get a payment from ALCS (a lot of money). The USA doesn't have the same system in which for example libraries/universities have to log and pay when they make copies of your work. However, they do appear to have a system in which if you publish in the USA and that work is the used in the UK (or other counties that reimburse) then you get payments. However, I can only see organisation that do this for music and art work and not the written word.

Does anyone know anything about this? Is there an organisation in the USA that covers the written word that I'm missing?

Thanks

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
In the UK was have an organisation called ALCS they collect money from people who use your work. For example, we write a lot of magazine articles and then once a year we get a payment from ALCS (a lot of money). The USA doesn't have the same system in which for example libraries/universities have to log and pay when they make copies of your work. However, they do appear to have a system in which if you publish in the USA and that work is the used in the UK (or other counties that reimburse) then you get payments. However, I can only see organisation that do this for music and art work and not the written word.

Does anyone know anything about this? Is there an organisation in the USA that covers the written word that I'm missing?

Thanks

If you write for the screen there are protections and remunerations available to members of the WGA (east or west); if you write music (even just lyrics), there's ASCAP.

As for payments when your work is copied or lent, as far as I know, that's not a thing.

alext262

Registered
Reaction score
If you write for the screen there are protections and remunerations available to members of the WGA (east or west); if you write music (even just lyrics), there's ASCAP.

As for payments when your work is copied or lent, as far as I know, that's not a thing.

Hi Yes in the USA it's not a thing but in the UK it is. So I presume that if you publish in the USA and its copied in the UK that can claimed back for, but it doesn't seem there is an organisation that covers it.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Yes in the USA it's not a thing but in the UK it is. So I presume that if you publish in the USA and its copied in the UK that can claimed back for, but it doesn't seem there is an organisation that covers it.

In the US, that organization is called "Your Lawyer." :)

Jeff

shadowsminder

writing in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowsinmind.carrd.co
In the USA, no one is allowed to publish or use another written work without permission from its rights holder. The writer holds all rights until contracted with a publisher, who pays for rights to publish under specific terms. No one else may reproduce the work without asking for the right. An attorney can represent a particular set of rights.

(An exception to needing to ask for permission is fair use, which rarely involves money going to the writer. Fair use is like quoting a line for commentary or like copying then dissenting a news article in a classroom.)

Does it work differently in the UK? I think what you're describing is more like a writer signing up to a gigs hub.

Example: https://compose.ly/become-a-writer/

Writers usually respond to requests or query articles first. However the work is sold, the hub site keeps track of payment then sends it to a processor (PayPal or Stripe) or directly to a bank account. The writer can also sell different articles at the same time outside the hub. What that happens, the writer works directly with the publisher, arranging for payment on their own.

Is that at all close to answering your question?

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
In the USA, no one is allowed to publish or use another written work without permission from its rights holder. The writer holds all rights until contracted with a publisher, who pays for rights to publish under specific terms. No one else may reproduce the work without asking for the right. An attorney can represent a particular set of rights.

(An exception to needing to ask for permission is fair use, which rarely involves money going to the writer. Fair use is like quoting a line for commentary or like copying then dissenting a news article in a classroom.

No. Fair use is not a grant of right; it's a potential legal defense in court. Fair use is determine by a court. It's expensive. It's time consuming.

There is no quantitative unit (words, or lines, for instance) that automatically qualifies as fair use.

It's decided by a judge, and often, a judge and jury. Even if you win, your purse will lose.

If a work is still under copyright then ask permission; it's quite likely that you will obtain it, and depending on your use and the circumstances, you might pay only a token fee.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks

Nope; we don't have that in the U.S. U. S. authors can, however, register for their ALCS payments for works loaned by U.K. libraries.

There are, usually used only for academic purposes, by faculty for educational use, copyright clearance compaies and services, but the author has to specifically register each work with such a service.

Last edited:

JNLister

Registered
Reaction score
Important clarification from the UK: ALCS is not about publishing royalties for your articles being published/syndicated/reprinted by a magazine.

Instead it's about getting royalties for people photocopying (Xeroxing) articles, for example a user in a library, or a university lecturer running off copies for a class of students. It's the same system that covers royalties from books being loaned by libraries.

https://wp.alcs.co.uk/app/uploads/2019/01/JOURNAL-FAQs-JAN-2019.pdf

Last edited: