Question Regarding Movies' Changing Attitudes Towards Women

charles19

Registered
Reaction score
Okay McCardey & Derek, you convinced me. I'll just register a copyright on it first. I'll excerpt the first few pages on SYW and hopefully find someone whose comments I respect and who is willing to read most if not all of it. And if its crap... its crap. This is a Hail Mary anyways. The important thing is that I like the play. That's my main motivation right now. But I am willing to consider that other people might not.

Great point Chris. I guess I will see what the critics think. Maybe the target audience is larger or much different than I think!

-Charles

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No need to register the copyright; you already own it and have since the day you put pen to paper (or fingers to keys). Registering it doesn't give you any added protection. Save yourself the time and effort. Besides, words don't become valuable until they are published. I have yet to know of a single case where an unpublished manuscript was stolen and published by someone else. Plagiarism is 99.999999999% of the time from work already published. It also looks amateurish and prima-donnaish to have a copyright when you go to submit. Read several of the threads here on AW on the issue. People well more knowlegable than I have already weighed in when others have asked.

A word about crits. Nobody is going to tell you it's crap, so long as you have the basic rules of writing down (which, based on your posts, you do). However, some people are sure to tell you it doesn't work for them, for reasons X Y and Z. You might not agree with them, and that doesn't mean they are calling it crap. Where I have gotten the most frustrated with SYW is when I think there is a magical path by which everyone who crits is going to be blown away. There is also a tendency of critters (I've fallen in too when critting) to overanalyze, especially with very short pieces. I sometimes feel I have to give constructive input on a 500 word slice when the same 500 words in a larger piece would work just fine and I wouldn't think twice. All that to say: in the end, YOU control the story, and not one word will change unless and until you decide it does. Consider the merits of all input, but reserve the right to acknowledge and move on if the advice doesn't work.

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Given it's a script, you may be better off, and have peace of mind, registering with the WGA. It costs a smallish fee (like $20 for non-members), and provides proof your work is yours -- not for U.S. copyright, that is conferred as soon as you write, and registering that can get more in damages but if you change stuff later you'd have to redo it and etc. ... scripts generally get WGA registered. Just google WGA East or West (whichever coast you're on) register and it should come right up.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
in the end, YOU control the story, and not one word will change unless and until you decide it does. Consider the merits of all input, but reserve the right to acknowledge and move on if the advice doesn't work.

Sticky this, though.

charles19

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I finally decided to post an excerpt in SYW. Anyone who has been following this thread and would like to make a comment please do so. I value your opinion. Doing this is like diving into the deep end of a pool. We'll find out if I am a good swimmer or not. The post is titled: "Wacky Comedy... Would Like to Get Feedback".

Thanks!

-Charles