• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Speare | Thought organizing programs?

Girlsgottawrite

I write at work...
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone used Speare? Any thoughts to share? I like the idea of a way to organize my thoughts, but this seems a bit expensive and I'm not sure about keeping my work on someone else's site.

Any similar programs to recommend would be helpful as well.

Thanks!

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
To be honest, it seems like one more aspect of micromanaging with an online app that you can do just as easily with an analog set-up (pen/paper) or create notes on your phone if you're away from the keyboard that can easily be transferred via email or Dropbox for later use. And keeping it entirely online doesn't sound like such a great idea because these things tend to disappear when you least expect it (hello, Facebook outage this week, anybody?) Hard pass from me but YMMV.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Here's the Speare Website. It's pricey, in my book; partly because it's subscription based, so you have to keep paying ($4.95/month paid annually).

It's not really unique. It does automatically sync on multiple devices (Web, iOS, Android, etc.).

You could do pretty much everything it does with cards/sticky notes/paper.

Other apps to look at:

Bear.app (iOS and macOS)

Ulysses

Scrivener

Any number of mindmapping and outlining apps.

The basic idea behind Speare is helping writings with prewriting, with the rhetorical stage known as invention (generating and organizing ideas).

Freewriting and brainstorming are techniques that Speare uses, but you could use any text editor or word processor or pencil and paper to accomplish the same thing, using the same techniques.

Last edited:

Girlsgottawrite

I write at work...
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! My very supportive husband is convinced his will help me work through my problems with re-writing this book, but I'm feeling sort of like the two of you. Just thought I'd ask around to see others' opinions.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Seconding the suggestion that Scrivener will be a brilliant help: I've written lots of books and have tried lots of different softwares, and the only ones I regularly use now are Word and Scriv. Great, both of them.