Chatpati help

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Last night, hubby & I went to a restaurant specializing in Nepali & Indian cuisine. And, to my delight, hubby became enamored of a vegetarian dish called Chat Patty (how the menu had it spelled) -- save the fact that it was just too salty. I am trying to track down a recipe to try to make it at home (thankfully, I know where there are Indian markets near us), but I am pretty sure the version we had isn't just referred to as chatpati thanks to my initial internet searchings.

This version had puffed rice as the majority, with red onions and diced potatoes. Definite use of chile. No tomato.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Was it similar to this? Chaat. I'm wondering if the restaurant named their version after the regional variation from Chowpatty Beach, or the chotpoti type (though the link to that doesn't include rice).

Last edited:

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Hah! @ Chat Patty. It must be one of those spellchecker words.

An East India friend gave me a recipe for her chapati and it was basically whole wheat flour, salt, a smidge of oil and hot water. You made it into a firm dough and then pinched off golf ball size pieces of dough and then in your hands, make them as thin as you can. Put the chapati on an ungreased preheated frying pan (medium high heat) and when it starts to puff, flip it over and brown the other side. I'll see if I can find the recipe and give you the exact measurements.