Massacre(s) in Christchurch - 3-15-19

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
At least one, possibly four people (four arrested, unclear who did what, save the worst of it), shot up two mosques in Christchurch, and deployed IEDs around the city center. At least 30 dead.

The 28-year-old man who opened fire in one mosque livestreamed the massacre. He also uploaded an 87-page manifesto beforehand.

If this all feels reminiscent of Anders Breivik, not surprising, the gunman namechecked him, along with several other mass shooters.

He also said he's a supporter of Donald Trump (by name, no supposition), and used very clear Neo-Nazi language, like invoking the 14 words.

Breaking, Christchurch is locked down, it's a fucking mess. Several stories on BBC front page, as well as the NZ Herald.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Please,
[FONT=&quot]"Do not share the footage. Do not watch the footage. This is not part of normal life. The people who have committed this atrocity have wanted the attention. We should never normalise this. Do not share the[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]footage. Do not watch the footage. This is not part of our daily lives. It should never be accepted as part of our daily lives."[/FONT]

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Ah, gods, those poor people. This has to be stopped. The terror, the xenophobia, the hatred that justifies and glorifies murdering people at spiritual practice, it has to be stopped.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Because this thread is for Activism, Current Events and Hope - but oh god, hope is so fragile just now - here's a lesson from a prominent Australian Muslim tonight, on where responsibility lies.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
New Zealand is a nation in the Pacific, in Asia, and part of the cultures of Islam. As Jacinda said, 'they' are us. I struggle to even comprehend this event.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

We've been there. I don't struggle to comprehend it, just like the speaker in mccardey's link wasn't shocked. When religions are demonized, the demons perpetrating that demonization call up the demons for whom sacred spaces are not holy, are not sanctuaries.

We'll chant for them.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I have no words. It happens over and over, but I still can't comprehend the hate that would lead someone to choose this kind of evil. My heart aches for the victims and their loved ones. Thanks for linking the site for donations, though my link says "donation not available" right now. Maybe it's getting so much activity it's not working properly at the moment, so I'll check back later.

Last edited:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, so hard to know what to say. The shows of support and people standing in togetherness are inspiring. And, even beyond the usual suspects, the conversation needs to continue about who enables this.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trump press conference just now was pretty disgusting. Trump went from reading a support statement to NZ then directly into promoting fear mongering, his veto so he can build the wall, and he brought "Angel families" and complimented them...

Faux concern over the slaughter of Muslims and more promoting of hate mongering for Trump's political gain..

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

We've been there. I don't struggle to comprehend it, just like the speaker in mccardey's link wasn't shocked. When religions are demonized, the demons perpetrating that demonization call up the demons for whom sacred spaces are not holy, are not sanctuaries.

That's true, but Aly is not only talking about religions - just to be clear. It's anytime we Other communities and people - particularly for political purposes. It's way past the time we can be surprised when viciousness in words translates to vicious acts.

We'll chant for them.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal
That's lovely.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Trump press conference just now was pretty disgusting. Trump went from reading a support statement to NZ then directly into promoting fear mongering, his veto so he can build the wall, and he brought "Angel families" and complimented them...

Faux concern over the slaughter of Muslims and more promoting of hate mongering for Trump's political gain..

This whole idea that we should be AFRAID of entire groups of people based on their nationalities, races, religions, orientations etc., is so antithetical to what I think it is to be an American that I can't understand why and how the conservatives are the ones who are associated with patriotism.

It's heartbreaking to see it happening in other countries too.

Does anyone know yet how the shooter got that gun and smuggled it into NZ?

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Does anyone know yet how the shooter got that gun and smuggled it into NZ?

He owned them legally. The NZ government is considering modifying its laws.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/mar/15/new-zealand-prime-minister-gun-control-jacinda-ardern

Ardern said the alleged shooter was found to have used five guns that he appeared to legally own under a “category A” licence obtained in November 2017. He appeared to have begun buying guns the following month, she said.

The guns taken from the alleged perpetrator included two semi-automatic guns and two shotguns, the prime minister said. Answering questions from reporters, Ardern said all options to restrict gun violence would be considered.

New Zealand allows ownership of semi-automatic guns frequently described as “assault rifles” that are banned in countries such as Australia and the UK. Guns can be bought online and anyone aged 16 with an entry-level licence can possess them.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
New Zealand has always been a nation that has a lot of guns, about one gun for every three people, but little gun crime. Standard rifles are not hard to get. There has been a lot of complacency, which I am sure I have been part of. The 'it doesn't happen here' phenomenon.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
The latest reports seem to suggest there was one shooter. One of the other detainees has been cleared, two other with unclear status.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

That's true, but Aly is not only talking about religions - just to be clear. It's anytime we Other communities and people - particularly for political purposes. It's way past the time we can be surprised when viciousness in words translates to vicious acts.

That's lovely.

True.

And thanks.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
And the hatemongers are acting with glee here in the States...
(I did not know this happened this afternoon. If I had realized it, I probably would have been arrested.) :mad:

Trump supporter drives ‘build the wall’ float past New Zealand mourners at Cleveland City Hall

If you'd been arrested, I would've contributed toward bail money... totally justified.

Act fast, before the gun money starts flowing in to oppose - if it hasn't already...

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
The latest reports seem to suggest there was one shooter. One of the other detainees has been cleared, two other with unclear status.
This is what's making me sickest about this attack: it seems to be wholly the work of an extreme right Australian. Now we're officially exporting terrorists to our closest neighbours. What a fucking indictment of this country's absolute failure to get a handle on its own racist right wing. Shame on our shit media that fans the flames, our shit establishment that sits on its hands, our whole hand-wringing "ooh noo we can't a racist nation, we've got Asian fusion restaurants and everything" middle class, for whom gently pointing out the obvious is far worse a crime than actually being racist. I feel ashamed to be Australian today.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is what's making me sickest about this attack: it seems to be wholly the work of an extreme right Australian. Now we're officially exporting terrorists to our closest neighbours. What a fucking indictment of this country's absolute failure to get a handle on its own racist right wing. Shame on our shit media, our shit establishment, our whole hand-wringing "ooh noo we can't a racist nation, we've got Asian fusion restaurants and everything" middle class. I'm fucking ashamed to be Australian today. We're shit.
We are indeed. We elected the guy who :
urged the shadow cabinet to capitalise on the electorate's growing concerns about "Muslim immigration", "Muslims in Australia" and the "inability" of Muslim migrants to integrate.
I am grieving so hard for this country, for the progress it never made.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
This is what's making me sickest about this attack: it seems to be wholly the work of an extreme right Australian. Now we're officially exporting terrorists to our closest neighbours. What a fucking indictment of this country's absolute failure to get a handle on its own racist right wing. Shame on our shit media that fans the flames, our shit establishment that sits on its hands, our whole hand-wringing "ooh noo we can't a racist nation, we've got Asian fusion restaurants and everything" middle class, for whom gently pointing out the obvious is far worse a crime than actually being racist. I feel ashamed to be Australian today.

Me fucking too.

What an absolute shitshow.

Norman Mjadwesch

vacuous eyes, will bark at shadows
Registered
Reaction score
This is what you get when our supposed leaders keep imposing their divisive views upon the rest of the country so that individual careers can be extended at the expense of humanity, promoting fear via misinformation and outright lies. This is what you get when there is an unrelenting campaign of fearmongering based on race and religion. This is what you get when media is a thinly disguised mouthpiece for politics. Are these bigots the best people that our country can offer up as our public face? If so, we are truly fucked.

The animal that did this came from the town where I live. I’m glad I never knew him and I’m glad I will never meet him. This sick bastard DOES NOT REPRESENT US!!!!!

I expect that many people will soon forget their outrage and will once again allow themselves to be influenced by an entirely hypocritical and sensationalist cycle of unending bullshit. It would be nice to discover that our leaders will actually go against their natural instincts and provide something that resembles leadership (on this and other issues) but I sure as hell am not holding my breath. Everything about this is disgusting.

We used to have a litter awareness slogan in NSW years ago: “Do the right thing.” Maybe that should also apply to the garbage that has been elected to public office. I doubt that any of them would have the brains or decency to see the parallel, or to accept that they should shoulder any of the responsibility for this criminal tragedy.

Last edited: