Rejected by my kids' school

zmethos

from words to worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mpepperlanglinais.com
So a few months back (December, or maybe January), the principal at my kids' school emailed me to ask whether I'd be interested/willing to speak to the kids about being a writer. I was flattered, of course, and said yes. Then never heard anything more. But today a big email announcement went out that some other author is coming to speak to the school and the kids will be able to purchase books and have them signed! Yippee! Maybe I'll keep my kids home that day...

bapeery

Registered
Reaction score
Yikes! That sounds unprofessional of them to just ghost you. Since your kiddos are moving schools anyway, on the better and brighter things!

SAWeiner

Reaction score
Ouch!!! Sorry to hear this. At least, they could have explained to you why before making a public announcement.

Atlantic12

Registered
Reaction score
Well that stinks. Totally unprofessional. Your kids should go to school that day and be supportive -- all writers need that -- but then ask really really loudly when their mom gets to speak since the school asked her too, and is this going to be some kind of a recurring series thing about writers? Cool!

Stytch

Registered
Reaction score
OMG they must, like, have soooo many author parents hanging around that they can afford to treat them like this?? That's messed up. Is there a chance the other author does more kid-friendly stuff? I just see the regency romance image on your photo, that's why I ask. I could understand choosing another author if that was the case (unless you do that stuff too). But even then, common courtesy would be to at least get back to you one way or the other. Sounds like someone dropped the ball.

zmethos

from words to worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mpepperlanglinais.com
I do have one YA fantasy that is kid friendly. And nothing against this other author, who I'm sure is lovely. The announcement said she'd won an award, so that probably made her a more attractive catch. And she does write more middle grade stuff, whereas I only have the one YA. I just feel badly treated by the school, especially since I'd been asked to "talk about writing," which in my mind means it doesn't matter what I write. (I'd also been told that the district frowns on guests selling things to the students, but apparently it's fine in this case, so I feel misled there as well.)

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I smell a “friend of the superintendant” case. Or a PTA leader. Or someone with clout within the school.

Regardless, sorry that happened! It seems strange that it was made into a zero-sum game by the school. Why not ask both of you to come in and speak??

ChibiUsagi

Banned
Reaction score
I do have one YA fantasy that is kid friendly. And nothing against this other author, who I'm sure is lovely. The announcement said she'd won an award, so that probably made her a more attractive catch. And she does write more middle grade stuff, whereas I only have the one YA. I just feel badly treated by the school, especially since I'd been asked to "talk about writing," which in my mind means it doesn't matter what I write. (I'd also been told that the district frowns on guests selling things to the students, but apparently it's fine in this case, so I feel misled there as well.)

I am SO sorry that happened to you. But I'm happy to see you back around here :)

I am glad your kids are leaving that school next year. :Hug2:

zmethos

from words to worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mpepperlanglinais.com
I smell a “friend of the superintendant” case. Or a PTA leader. Or someone with clout within the school.

Regardless, sorry that happened! It seems strange that it was made into a zero-sum game by the school. Why not ask both of you to come in and speak??

That's very possible. The PTA at this school is a tight clique and I'm not "in" with them. They probably had someone they'd rather use, and the principal is also part of this circle, so...

But yes, why not make it a panel or a series? I know of at least one other author parent as well, and a couple other local authors that do write picture books and middle grade...