This sickens me.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/12/u...g-scandal.html

In a major college admissions scandal that laid bare the elaborate lengths some wealthy parents will go to get their children into competitive American universities, federal prosecutors charged 50 people on Tuesday in a brazen scheme to buy spots in the freshman classes at Yale, Stanford and other big-name schools.
In addition to the parents, others involved in this racketeering includes coaches, admissions officers, testing companies, and a college preparatory business known as "the Key."

At the center of the sweeping financial crime and fraud case was William Singer, the founder of a college preparatory business called the Edge College & Career Network, also known as The Key.

The authorities said Mr. Singer used The Key and its nonprofit arm, Key Worldwide Foundation, which is based in Newport Beach, Calif., to help students cheat on their standardized tests, and to pay bribes to the coaches who could get them into college with fake athletic credentials.

Mr. Singer used The Key as a front, allowing parents to funnel money into an account without having to pay any federal taxes.
While Mr. Singer's operation has been exposed, I can't help but wonder how many others are doing the same thing and getting away with it. And of course there are plenty of perfectly legal ways wealthy, influential people give their kids a leg up in college admissions already, from kids getting "legacy" admissions at colleges or universities attended by relatives to a really rich parent offering to donate money to a program or building on campus.

People often complain about affirmative action, stating that it's "unfair," because something other than GPA and test scores might be taken into consideration for admissions. I rarely hear the same people bitching about the ways the status quo is maintained and enforced.