I Highly Recommend Trelby As Free Screenwriting Software

charles19

Registered
Reaction score
Hi. I just wanted to mention that after using Trelby for a couple of weeks I am very happy with its performance. It took a while for me to dig deeper into the program, but it is actually much more feature-rich than I initially suspected. Once I took the time to explore its capabilities I was very pleasantly surprised. It basically did everything I needed it to do.

Pros
Extremely user-friendly and intuitive
Enough features to accommodate most screenplay-writing needs

Cons
No longer supported, so no upgrades possible

Thanks,

-Charles

Anne_B

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Charles19, what platform are you on -- PC, Mac, Chromebook?

Auteur

Redacted
Registered
Reaction score
I used Trelby for a while, but found it lacking some essential features. Celtx (desktop application), IMO, is much better.

Anne_B

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Auteur. I looked at Celtx but I need something compatible with a Chromebook for now. Should have been more specific above.

Anne_B

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Derek. I'll check out that link.

I did a search for "screenwriting programs compatible with Chromebook" and found some that I subsequently asked about on the "Screenwriting Software Tech Forum."

edited to add: The apps in that link appear to be for mobile devices. FWIW, I'm researching on behalf of Spouse, who's only interested now in something that will work on his Chromebook. After I checked your link it led me to this 2018 comparison of programs that looks as if it will be helpful, so thanks again!
https://www.scriptreaderpro.com/screenwriting-software/

Last edited:

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Glad you found something, somewhere. I thought the Chromebook was pretty much a mobile device, designed as a laptop. But I don't have one so I couldn't check stuff out.

-Derek

WildBill

Registered
Reaction score
I have a Chromebook, but I don't use it for writing due to lack of security. I'm old and just don't trust cloud based systems. I did try Trelby but wasn't impressed. I've been using Celtx for a couple of years now on my laptop and I'm very happy with it.

-Wild Bill