Infinite Dimensions as a setting-science fantasy

Alex37

Registered
Reaction score
My book is set in a futuristic, infinite dimensional version of the universe and Earth. ALL of the characters mentioned in the story (Even the average person) are at least infinite dimensional. I’ve taken a lot of inspiration from comic books, action anime, Gnosticism, and the Matrix for this concept. In my writing, everything is a version of our world, just on a larger, super three dimensional scale (also in terms of time, etc). I think merely describing it as merely as a macro cosmic version of our own universe should be the easiest way of describing this infinitely larger universe, as opposed to actually trying to describe extra dimensions.

One might argue this is hard to imagine since we don’t know what extra dimensions look like, etc. However, no one really knows what an advanced alien civilization should look like and fantasy realms are fictional, yet we imagine them anyway.

Please note my writing is definitely not hard science fiction. It’s more of a fantastical take on higher dimensions. It’s science fantasy where magic and technology coexist. There are also rules, limitations and some very powerful antagonists in place to keep people relatable and from being too overpowered (the Matrix influence also figures into this).

My question is, if someone else tried to write a similar story and setting, what might they do differently? Thanks so much in advance.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Look up Stephen Baxter and Terry Pratchett's Long Earth series. Only infinite Earths, not people, but might be a good place to get some ideas for how they made it work.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
LOL, all my stories are set in infinite dimensions, even if I'm writing social realism. I also enjoy the 'reality is defined by perception and nothing is what it seems' trope. But I like your take on this, the challenge is always winnowing down an infinite setting to a manageable theater of action.

Stytch

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I came here to mention The Long Earth, but that's already been covered. I'd google "multiverse" and see what else is out there. ... As to what I'd do differently, if I did anything at all, I'd wonder what happens when they realize that somewhere there's a version where none of the other versions are possible (i.e. one of the possibilities must be that there are NOT infinite possibilities) and how the whole place doesn't fold like a house of cards on that realization. A la Douglas Adams, every time someone almost figures out the universe, it restarts, maybe. "Can't have that, missy."

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Actually a number of our members have crafted tales in this science fantasy genre, myself included. It's potentially a very rich environment in which to delve. I loosely structured an entire series (THE STEWARD) on the Multiverse, as proposed/extrapolated via Membrane Theory, and speculative evolutionary theory. In short there are accessible realms with differing laws of physics and sentient inhabitants who strongly resemble certain beings from our own familiar myth and folklore (many of whom turn out to be evolved from the human genome - and some of whom still reside in our home realm, hiding in plain sight).

You can craft a cohesive story from almost anything your mind can imagine. Go for it! Best of luck!

Last edited:

P.K. Torrens

Saving up for a typewriter
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think you’re describing a setting where people experience more than the standard four dimensions? Whereas The Long Earth is a tad different. That setting is more to do with parallel universes, eh.

The best hard SF description of how multiple dimensions would be experienced, in my opinion, can be found in Cixing Liu’s, Three Body Problem trilogy. That description is how scientists think it would actually work. And, no spoilers, it’s pretty wicked.

Last edited:

themindstream

Registered
Reaction score
So I'm also writing a multiverse setting and i find the 'alien worlds' metaphor is an apt one. Within the rules you make for your universe, the same concepts in creating those worlds apply. Even if you are explicitly doing parallel "Earth" and mean to have it recognizable to an Earthling of this universe, think of all the things on the grand scale of geological time that could have changed, not just human history. (Where I differ: I've elected not to go with the concept of parallel 'selves'. I figure the points of diversion are potentially infinite and of indeterminate number, so while it's theoretically possible to meet your double while traveling through the worlds, the chance is infinitesimally small. However, some greater trends do foment similarities, like a high ratio of intelligent bipedal sophonts. Given similar conditions, evolution is not unlikely to produce similar outcomes; even in our world, many traits have evolved independently on multiple occasions.)

What changes from the interplanetary alien setting is how those worlds interact with each other. Again depending on the rules of your universe, it may be possible to fall into another universe by sudden accident, for example, something that could never happen when visiting another world requires getting in a spaceship. You could have the residents of one world clash, or trade, with another, for no more effort than it takes to walk across town. You could have organizations forming to attempt to exploit and/or regulate interdimentional affairs. From the consequences of these, and similar scenarios, you have the seeds of story.

Alex37

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone.

By dimensions, I mean transcending the three or four dimensions, and the three or four dimensional limits we face. Alternate universes don’t play as big of a story as that. That’s what I meant it’s like our universe *and* *us* but on an infinitely larger scale (space, time, etc).

In the book I wrote, the infinite dimensions of existence aren’t even the highest planes of existence.

The characters have super cosmic powers (it’s a superhero story), though I also stated there are limitations and restrictions set in place to help characters being relatable and keep them from being too overpowered. Not only that, but people fear and cancel out of each other.

*The average citizen in the book is infinite dimensional in scale. As are the main characters. While in our eyes they would be considered godlike, next to each other they actually have flaws, fears, and goals like the average person in this reality. It’s kind of analogous to the Game of Thrones in the aspect that many af the main characters are royalty, yet they are also far from perfect.

My major goal is to make some of the most powerful characters and main characters in written fiction that are also highly relatable.

Last edited:

lpetrich

Registered
Reaction score
By dimensions, I mean transcending the three or four dimensions, and the three or four dimensional limits we face. Alternate universes don’t play as big of a story as that. That’s what I meant it’s like our universe *and* *us* but on an infinitely larger scale (space, time, etc).
By "dimensions", people usually mean parallel universes or overlapping universes, like some etheric plane whose inhabitants can cross over into our familiar universe plane. Something like how a kitchen magnet's magnetic field overlaps with the air around it.

Dimensions in the sense of extra space dimensions? If they exist, then they would be curled up into a very tiny ball. Macroscopic extra dimensions would have very observable effects, like keeping stable orbits from happening.

Alex37

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the reply. I really appreciate it.

I mean dimensions as in a combination of extra space dimensions and overlapping realities. Please note this is Not a hard science fiction take on the concepts. It’s more Like a science fantasy / fantastical take on the concepts. I’m loosely basing it off a concept that each successive dimension is infinitely more vast than the previous dimensions, no matter how curled up the extra dimensions might be (ex a five dimensional object would have a fourth and fifth dimensional mass greater than zero while a three dimensional object would lack any mass in the fourth and fifth dimensions) It’s also very loosely based on the theoretical theory of infinite Hilbert spaces. Finally, I’m going by the somewhat comic book-esque concept that higher dimensional beings cannot interact with lower dimensional beings directly and would use other means to get to them(avatars, etc).

Put simply, it’s just my fantasy based take on the concepts. I hope this clears things up.

Last edited:

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Chronicles of Amber (roger zelazny) is an epic fantasy series set in a universe of infinite multiple dimensions, with a "true" dimension at either end (Order and Chaos). I would certainly read the series as they're famous, landmark fantasy novels.

P.K. Torrens

Saving up for a typewriter
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My question is, if someone else tried to write a similar story and setting, what might they do differently? Thanks so much in advance.

Have a look at the Three Body Problem - I am pretty sure that's a comparable story, and what you are looking for. Other suggestions all strike me as parallel world stories.

My major goal is to make some of the most powerful characters and main characters in written fiction that are also highly relatable.

Sounds easy, heh.

By "dimensions", people usually mean parallel universes or overlapping universes, like some etheric plane whose inhabitants can cross over into our familiar universe plane. Something like how a kitchen magnet's magnetic field overlaps with the air around it.

I disagree with this. Extra dimensions have a very specific meaning in science fiction. A lot of people confuse "another dimension" with "parallel worlds". The OP is very clearly describing a situation where ?humans? can observe multiple other dimensions as part of their reality. This is different to a parallel worlds story.

Thanks so much for the reply. I really appreciate it.

I mean dimensions as in a combination of extra space dimensions and overlapping realities. Please note this is Not a hard science fiction take on the concepts. It’s more Like a science fantasy / fantastical take on the concepts. I’m loosely basing it off a concept that each successive dimension is infinitely more vast than the previous dimensions, no matter how curled up the extra dimensions might be (ex a five dimensional object would have a fourth and fifth dimensional mass greater than zero while a three dimensional object would lack any mass in the fourth and fifth dimensions) It’s also very loosely based on the theoretical theory of infinite Hilbert spaces. Finally, I’m going by the somewhat comic book-esque concept that higher dimensional beings cannot interact with lower dimensional beings directly and would use other means to get to them(avatars, etc).

Put simply, it’s just my fantasy based take on the concepts. I hope this clears things up.

Got ya. But if you're going for a totally made-up way of observing things, why are you interested in how people would describe it? Clearly, people would describe it very differently to you given that yours is fantasy. If the idea is cool, then go with it.
As I've mentioned above, if you want to see what scientists think observable extra dimensions would look like, then read the TBP series.