Where do readers start in a series?

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
When ever I consider reading novels in a series, I always start with the first. Am I unusual?

I ask because when writing the product description, I wonder how much of the backstory to include?

The novels are each somewhat stand-alone, but the world and many of the characters carry over.

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
I start with the first. The exception is if I start a novel, not realizing it's the second (or third, whatever) in a series. I'll finish it, then, but I'll be supremely annoyed that I didn't know it was a mid-series book.

All I need from the description, as a reader, is a sentence that says "This is the continuation of the Whatever Saga" and a list of the previous books in the series.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Depends. Mostly with the first, but there have certainly been books I've been given one or someone recommended one and only later did I realize it was part of a series. Usually I'll then read the others from the beginning, if I liked the one.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Usually if I start in a later book in a series, it's a mistake. But when I was young, I got a lot of books from the library that happened to be later books in series. When writing my sequels, I tried to keep that experience in mind, just in case someone were to mistakenly read book 2 or 3 first. I also got betas who read from the later books, just to get feedback on what the experience was.

When writing the blurb, just remember that even if someone wants to start from book 1, they may be introduced to your series through blurbs for the later books. So whatever you include, make sure it won't ruin the reading of the earlier books. And make sure it's enticing on its own.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
If I can help it, always at Book 1. If I find Book 2, 3, or 10 and they look interesting, I still try to track down Book 1. There are very few instances where I've read a non-Book 1 in a series first, and always when I didn't realize it was a series. (Some series are poorly labeled...)

That said, if your series is a bunch of standalone adventures, just occurring in the same universe, maybe make a notation (and/or mention in the write-up that they can stand alone.) A Suchandsuch Novel, instead of Book 1 of the Suchandsuch Series, for instance.

ByTXP

Strange Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
I usually start with Book 1, though there are cases where authors have written multiple series set in the same world and advised readers to start later, in which case I might go for the more accessible starting point. Those usually aren't as closely connected as books within the same sequence, though.

David Odle

Chasing the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.davidodle.com
Just curious - is this one long story broken into 3 (or 4 or 10) books (The Dark Tower, The Passage, etc.)? Or just the same character appearing in different stories (Alex Cross, Jack Ryan, etc.)? I'm a fan of the former, not really into the latter. Typically, when I see an interesting book and pluck it from the shelf, then find out it's another <insert name> novel, I put it back lacking the energy to hunt down the original.

That said, on the rare occasion where I did read a character-based series (e.g. Dresden Files), I hunted down the first one and started there.

benbenberi

Registered
Reaction score
That's actually a harder question than it appears. "Book 1" is the obvious answer -- but how do you identify Book 1? There are many series where the order of publication is substantially different from the internal chronology, so do you start with the first published, or the happens-before-the-others? (And if the latter, will you be annoyed if the author later publishes something that happens earlier still?) -- For me, I tend to prefer publication order whenever possible, even when it means huge leaps back and forth in the internal chronology. Other people argue differently.

There are also series where the relationship between entries is more complicated than simple chronology, so books may overlap in time, place, or character in a way that makes it difficult to discern the "correct" ordering. There may be no universally optimal entry point in a series of this sort, everybody just has to jump in and splash around and figure it out for themselves.

Some authors may write in several different styles or modes that you respond to differently -- you may like their humorous books, loathe their gritty procedurals-- and if they have done both in the same series, do you have to start with Book 1 of a type you dislike and slog your way through to achieve the delights of Books 3 and 5?

Does the order even matter? I've read some series where it absolutely does not -- each one is self-contained, the ongoing "arc" between installments is minimal, and there's really no reason not to treat them all like standalone books that happen to share a character or two. A variation on that type of thing: a series I have read where the books, written sporadically over the course of 25 years, all have an obviously contemporary setting at the time of writing. There were a group of purely episodic installments were set in the Swinging 60s & the 70s, but then one set in 1983 obviously came before all of those in the internal chronology of the central character's life, and a final one in 1991 -- while through all these books the central character is always the same age. Figure out the perfect ordering of a series like that and win a Major Prize!

Another problem -- does the reader have a choice? If they are browsing the library or the bookstore or a friend's collection and something perfectly enticing leaps out at them, they may go ahead and read it because that's the book that enticed them. So what if it's volume 4 of 12? Vols. 1-3 may not be there when they're browsing and may or may not be there next time either. They may not even know that vols. 1-3 exist when they start reading.

And suppose you read book 1 as a standalone, then discover many years later that behind your back it turned into a series. Does your prior reading of book 1 still count, now that you have books 2-10 in front of you? Sure, you may be able to re-read it... but if you're a person who never re-reads old books, it's book 2 or nothing for you.

ironmikezero

Registered
Reaction score
As a reader, if a series piques my interest I'll make every effort to ferret out the first book, and put any subsequent volumes on my to-do list (despite potentially being more readily available). I want to savor the tale in the order the author intended.

As an author, I make it very clear that a book within a series is prominently labeled as ". . . Volume 2 of the XXXX series . . ." since that is how I intend the reader to proceed. However, readers will do as they please (or must), so I don't worry about it.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
I read some series through my local public library. They are ebooks. I have to read them when they are available, and usually out of order. This is true of hard copies.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Some people do start in the middle, but more importantly it may have been months or years since they read the prior part.

indianroads

Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Just curious - is this one long story broken into 3 (or 4 or 10) books (The Dark Tower, The Passage, etc.)? Or just the same character appearing in different stories (Alex Cross, Jack Ryan, etc.)? I'm a fan of the former, not really into the latter. Typically, when I see an interesting book and pluck it from the shelf, then find out it's another <insert name> novel, I put it back lacking the energy to hunt down the original.

That said, on the rare occasion where I did read a character-based series (e.g. Dresden Files), I hunted down the first one and started there.

The story occurs over five novels - in books 1, 3, and (probably) 5 the main character will repeat. He's an android (although he didn't know that in the first book). He's self aware, has a conscience and moral beliefs, the only real differences are is that he can think and solve problems much faster than humans can, and his body regenerates almost instantly when injured. His power source is radioactive C14 diamonds, but he also gains sustenance from human food and drink.

Books 2 and 4 will have different human characters.

I'm doing my best to make each novel stand on it's own - my beta readers tell me I succeeded on the first two, but sometimes I have to mention something that occurred in a previous story... it can be a bugger sometimes.

indianroads

Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
As a reader, if a series piques my interest I'll make every effort to ferret out the first book, and put any subsequent volumes on my to-do list (despite potentially being more readily available). I want to savor the tale in the order the author intended.

As an author, I make it very clear that a book within a series is prominently labeled as ". . . Volume 2 of the XXXX series . . ." since that is how I intend the reader to proceed. However, readers will do as they please (or must), so I don't worry about it.

I do the same - the series name and book number are on the front cover, title page, and on the header of the book pages.

Last edited:

indianroads

Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
@ benbenberi

Thanks much for your thoughtful reply - I tend to overthink just about everything, so deciding which bits of the backstory is necessary to the current story can drive me nuts.

Each novel is clearly labeled with the series number, so hopefully there won't be any question. Beyond that, I guess all I can do is make each book stand on it's own, which can, at times, be tough.

Norman Mjadwesch

vacuous eyes, will bark at shadows
Registered
Reaction score
I always start with the first book. If I buy a later book in the series without realising I tend to become pretty annoyed, either with the publisher for unclear labelling or with myself for not paying proper attention. A lot of years ago I bought the second book in a trilogy from a discount bin and when I realised what I had done I refused to read it. After maybe five years of being pigheaded about that book (I really liked the blurb) I went and found the other two books and then them in the proper order.

That's actually a harder question than it appears. "Book 1" is the obvious answer -- but how do you identify Book 1? There are many series where the order of publication is substantially different from the internal chronology, so do you start with the first published, or the happens-before-the-others? (And if the latter, will you be annoyed if the author later publishes something that happens earlier still?) -- For me, I tend to prefer publication order whenever possible, even when it means huge leaps back and forth in the internal chronology. Other people argue differently.

There are also series where the relationship between entries is more complicated than simple chronology, so books may overlap in time, place, or character in a way that makes it difficult to discern the "correct" ordering. There may be no universally optimal entry point in a series of this sort, everybody just has to jump in and splash around and figure it out for themselves.

Some authors may write in several different styles or modes that you respond to differently -- you may like their humorous books, loathe their gritty procedurals-- and if they have done both in the same series, do you have to start with Book 1 of a type you dislike and slog your way through to achieve the delights of Books 3 and 5?

Does the order even matter? I've read some series where it absolutely does not -- each one is self-contained, the ongoing "arc" between installments is minimal, and there's really no reason not to treat them all like standalone books that happen to share a character or two. A variation on that type of thing: a series I have read where the books, written sporadically over the course of 25 years, all have an obviously contemporary setting at the time of writing. There were a group of purely episodic installments were set in the Swinging 60s & the 70s, but then one set in 1983 obviously came before all of those in the internal chronology of the central character's life, and a final one in 1991 -- while through all these books the central character is always the same age. Figure out the perfect ordering of a series like that and win a Major Prize!

Another problem -- does the reader have a choice? If they are browsing the library or the bookstore or a friend's collection and something perfectly enticing leaps out at them, they may go ahead and read it because that's the book that enticed them. So what if it's volume 4 of 12? Vols. 1-3 may not be there when they're browsing and may or may not be there next time either. They may not even know that vols. 1-3 exist when they start reading.

And suppose you read book 1 as a standalone, then discover many years later that behind your back it turned into a series. Does your prior reading of book 1 still count, now that you have books 2-10 in front of you? Sure, you may be able to re-read it... but if you're a person who never re-reads old books, it's book 2 or nothing for you.

This is very useful to me.

I’m having a related problem with this with my WIP. I have never really wanted to write a series because that’s a huge time commitment, but quite by chance last year I had an idea for a collection of stand-alone stories (HF, six novels) that connect to one another chronologically but share few (if any) common characters. I started writing Book 3 and when that’s done I’d like to do 4 and then 6. Even though they are all unrelated it seems illogical to number them in any way other than chronologically, but to write them out of order seems like a crazy idea, since I can’t get them into the world until the first ones are written. It could even happen that I’ll reconsider axing a couple of titles and just do them individually as a sub-genre that I have dipped into (I can always come back to them later).

Last edited: