tktktktk

Last edited:

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
Congratulations! Perseverance is essential for writers, as you've demonstrated. If you haven't already, you might consider sharing your successful query letter. Getting 6 requests to read is huge.

I hope the next stage goes swimmingly, and you're back soon to report a sale.

Atlantic12

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, that is awesome! I am really glad that you found a solution you can live with, and of course, the first book may only be shelved temporarily. As someone who also writes in the suspense genre but crosses over quite a bit, I can tell you that is extremely hard to do, and it has to be something that hits what the market is looking for. But it definitely can be done and is done, so don't give up on the first effort if you still believe in it. Your new agent should have some advice for you.

And you'll soon be on to the Next Circle! It's harrowing in its own way, but you've jumped the first hurdle, so wallow in your success. You deserve it.

Kensi99

Registered
Reaction score
tktktk

Last edited:

Atlantic12

Registered
Reaction score
I thought romantic suspense was a thing, but what do I know?

Or do you mean a suspenseful romance? Again, I have no idea, but maybe the time will come for it. If you have a good editorial agent in your corner, you'll get some guidance about how to steer the writing you love toward marketable and still enjoy yourself.

CameronJohnston

Great Old One
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronjohnston.net
Congratulations! That's great news :D I hope that tricky book finds a good home at some point too. Either that after this book people recognise your name and you self publish it to critical acclaim...

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Kensi, that’s awesome! I’d love to see your query whenever you’re able to share it.

I did something similar in moving from my first agented book to the one that sold: read comps and reined myself in hard. For me, simplifying my out-there ideas was also key.

Kensi99

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Kensi, that’s awesome! I’d love to see your query whenever you’re able to share it.

I did something similar in moving from my first agented book to the one that sold: read comps and reined myself in hard. For me, simplifying my out-there ideas was also key.
tktk

Last edited:

RaggedEdge

I can do this
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations! You've come through some tough lessens, and it sounds like you've got a solid start towards the next great achievement, too. I'm agented but still learning similar lessons about genre mash-ups and trying to figure out how to fit within market parameters. It's an art and a science for sure. Enjoy this milestone!

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
Thanks, Barbara. I wouldn't want to do that yet as nothing is signed on the dotted line while the others read, but I rewrote it at least 30 times. I also hired two different query editors who helped me hone. The key for me was to be SPECIFIC - not use vague generalities like "But her life would change forever" but to say exactly what was happening without giving away the twists. Also to make sure I had stakes. "If she doesn't X then Y will happen." It wasn't easy, believe me! Haha.

30 passes seems about right. Writing the query is undoubtedly harder than writing the book.

If those query editors helped, one or either of them, consider giving them a shout-out. (I wasn't one of them, so I can say that.)

Congrats again, and may good news come your way before you can say "agented author."

Kensi99

Registered
Reaction score
30 passes seems about right. Writing the query is undoubtedly harder than writing the book.

If those query editors helped, one or either of them, consider giving them a shout-out. (I wasn't one of them, so I can say that.)

Congrats again, and may good news come your way before you can say "agented author."

Megan Easley-Walsh and Christina Kaye if anyone is interested. I had already given them a shout out on a Sub It group but didn't know if that kind of thing was wanted here. I DID change the text pretty drastically from the final versions they each saw, however, it was them who got me thinking hard about my query and the things I needed to focus on.

Kensi99

Registered
Reaction score
tktktk

Last edited:

Kensi99

Registered
Reaction score
I couldn't even tell you if it's romantic suspense or suspenseful romance - part of the problem, no?! LOL! Ah well, maybe it was ahead of its time. :)

merlot143

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations big-time! Very happy for you.

ByTXP

Strange Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Kensi! Query hell is real, but persistence and perseverance pay off.

bapeery

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations to you! It is nice to see someone come out on the other side. Fingers crossed for a successful publishing journey from here on out!

Kensi99

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, all. I had a second offer and three more are frantically (?) reading before the deadline tomorrow. One offer would be easier! This is all very surreal considering the demoralizing query hell I went through not very long ago!

ChibiUsagi

Banned
Reaction score
Thank you, all. I had a second offer and three more are frantically (?) reading before the deadline tomorrow. One offer would be easier! This is all very surreal considering the demoralizing query hell I went through not very long ago!

This is how it was for me. Everything turned on a dime.

See what hard work and patience can do?

Savor this moment. The road ahead is long. Take your victories where you find them.