Anyone know of any short stories exploring with the idea of parasites?

something

Registered
Reaction score
I think the kernel of my current story's idea is something to do with parasitical relationships. Just wondering if there's any stories that people know of that deal with this issue, be it literally, metaphorically etc. Thanks!

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Sorry I missed this post, something! I actually have a short story regarding parasites in the anthology in my signature. :) Unfortunately, it's not available solo, but it is a good anthology.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
There are parasites (usually a hostile invasion) and symbiotes (usually a mutual agreement where the symbiote and host cooperate).

Which are you primarily interested in?

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
There is another Clarkesworld horror story about parasitic relationships which I can't for the life of me remember. But it had a great line "and then he entered her" which has stuck with me, because it was such a play on bad sex scenes married with the vision of actually "entering" a person's body. (Shivers!!)

pharm

profoundly de minimis
Registered
Reaction score
I think the kernel of my current story's idea is something to do with parasitical relationships. Just wondering if there's any stories that people know of that deal with this issue, be it literally, metaphorically etc. Thanks!

The titular short story of Octavia Butler’s Bloodchild deals with parasites both literally and metaphorically in fascinating ways. Several of the other stories in that collection tackle adjacent themes. It’s really a tremendous collection. Highly recommended.

Not a short story, but you could read the first part of Dan Simmons’ Hyperion as a kind of novella directly on point here as well.

pharm

profoundly de minimis
Registered
Reaction score