Star Fleet Academy -- Too specific of a term to use?

coffeehunter

Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to call an institution the Star Fleet Academy. I think Star Trek coined the name, and my story has nothing to do with that show. I think the name itself is still broad enough to use in any book. Should I consider a different name, or is this one fine?

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Regardless of whether or not you're risking legal issues, in the public mind Starfleet is inextricably tied with the ST universe, and "Star Fleet" isn't a very significant variation.

I'd strongly consider renaming on that basis alone.

coffeehunter

Registered
Reaction score
I'll consider renaming it then. And I thought Starfleet was two words earlier, so thanks for the correction.

Last edited:

ReadWriteRachel

Probably drinking coffee.
Registered
Reaction score
I definitely agree — it's an instant tie to Star Trek, even if you broke it up into two words. Are you looking for a name to also suggest somewhere where officers of a space corps train? What kind of institution are you naming? That could help others give you suggestions.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
What Brightdreamer said. Also, uspto.gov will let you search for trademarks (both "Star Fleet" and "Starfleet" show up there).

IANAL, but anecdotally? Paramount is very protective of their Trek stuff, and for good reason: it's worth a massive amount of money to them.

You might get away with it if you're not writing SFF, and your Star Fleet doesn't have anything to do with space travel or the military. But even under those circumstances I wouldn't risk it.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Paramount is really, really litigious. Like Disney, if they sue (and they sue frequently and easily) they have a flotilla of attorneys on retainer.

Just don't. Even if you win a court case, you lose because of costs.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
This is the same problem every Sci-Fi writer faces, gotta come up with something semi-original, Space Academy or whatever. The reader will know it's really Starfleet Academy masquerading under another name, but hopefully they can shrug past it and keep going.

I bet you knew this already.

-Derek

coffeehunter

Registered
Reaction score
I believe I found an alternative that works well.

Last edited:

rgroberts

Registered
Reaction score
I agree that it's too specific. My recommendation would be to follow the example of real-life service academies, which tend to be nicknamed after their locations. For example, the United States Military Academy is West Point. The US Naval Academy is Annapolis. You could then have its name be something like "Fleet Academy" or something even more bland, and have people call it by the nickname.

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
If you can survive 12 weeks of boot camp at Astro, you can survive anything!

-Derek

D. E. Wyatt

Registered
Reaction score
I think it's a bit thorny. I've seen other fiction use "Star Fleet" as a descriptive term for its space navy, (IE the Imperial Star Fleet) but if it's not just a colloquialism you're likely to run into trouble.

Last edited:

kwanzaabot

Registered
Reaction score
I'd look at something like the United States Military Academy as a likely precursor.

Wikipedia tells me it's variously known as "West Point, Army, Army West Point, The Academy, or simply The Point", so it stands to reason a real Starfleet Academy would use similar nomenclature. Think about where this academy is located, and come up with a common-use name based around that.

eg. let's say it's based out of Hellas Planitia (biggest crater in the solar system) on Mars. Graduates might call it Hellas, Hell, Mars, The Crater, The Hive (based on the "honeycomb" rocks), or some kind of corrupted version of the original name ("Planitia" means "plains", but "The Plantation" sort of sticks out to me, so the new recruits might refer to the drill sergeants as "slavedrivers", for instance).

Last edited:

coffeehunter

Registered
Reaction score
I think in most cases I refer to it as "the fleet," but when I need to, I give a general bland name for it, ie Spacefleet.

Last edited:

mpalenik

Registered
Reaction score
Back in high school, I wrote a story (or beginning of a book) that maybe could best be described as a Catch-22 style Star Trek parody, where I called the space-based military organization the Space Corps. Now, behold, 18 years later, our current president wants to make it a reality.

Sorry, I know that's not really helpful, but I've been dying for a reason to mention that somewhere. More on point, I wouldn't call it Star Fleet academy.

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Space Corps has been around for a while, not least in Brit Sci-Fi comedy series Red Dwarf. If they ever trademark it, I'm in trouble!

-Derek

lpetrich

Registered
Reaction score
List of United States military schools and academies - Wikipedia, List of government-run higher-level national military academies - Wikipedia are good sources of names for existing military academies.

Also "Star Fleet" is too close to Star Trek for comfort. Try some other name, like "Space Force" or "Space Fleet" or "Star Force".

I looked in Wiktionary for etymologies for terms for military forces, and they are usually very generic. For some of the more recent ones, one does not even need Wiktionary. "Air Force" and "Coast Guard" are rather obvious. Donald Trump's Space Force already exists as a branch of the Air Force: its Space Command.

As to military academies, their names are often very generic. If one has a Space Force, then "Space Force Academy" would be a good name. Aside from that, common sources of names are locations, like West Point, and military heroes, like Admiral Farragut Academy, a college-prep school named after a US Navy admiral during the US Civil War.

Tanydwr

Registered
Reaction score
On a side note, a nickname or a name after someone specific (or both) can also work well for world-building. Especially if, for example, there's more than one school - depending on how big and widespread your space fleet is, a single point might not be practical. There is, of course, the elite and 'regional' options, which could automatically create some nice intra-force rivalries, not to mention officer training versus enlisted training, depending on how the force works.

Jinnambex

Silence is deafening
Registered
Reaction score
Astral, stellar, celestial, space, Frontier, cosmos, solar, galactic, Astronomical,planetary, star, etc

navy, academy, institute, armada, guild, halls, society, ships, fleet, etc

Try jumbling up something or make up a word of your own! Naming stuff is fun. Get creative.