Thoughts on Info-Dumping first chapter of a novel

screenscope

Registered
Reaction score
No, I do know what backstory means. I'm talking about a collection of information sometimes referred to as an 'info dump.'

My point is that one person's info dump is another person's highly interesting/engaging/relevant piece of writing.

Writing is all opinion, no facts... in my opinion.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Writer's toolbox-type articles abound explaining why info-dumping is bad news and is called a "writer's sin"; you only have to slap "info dump" in your search engine box to find those so I won't link to them. This article, though, comes from the Turkey City Lexicon. It's a primer for SF workshops, but don't think it hasn't value if you don't write SF. It's chock-full of interesting terminology that applies to all genres and if you happen to see one or more of the terms out and about, you'll already know what's meant. You'll also recognize correlations to basic terms you're already familiar with in their drier forms.

• Infodump

Large chunk of indigestible expository matter intended to explain the background situation. Info-dumps can be covert, as in fake newspaper or “Encyclopedia Galactica” articles, or overt, in which all action stops as the author assumes center stage and lectures. Info-dumps are also known as “expository lumps.”
  • “I’ve suffered for my Art” (and now it’s your turn)

A form of info-dump in which the author inflicts upon the reader hard-won, but irrelevant bits of data acquired while researching the story.

Or, you know, you can read it for the fun factor 'cause it's a hoot with terms like "Squid on the Mantelpiece" (a reference to Chekov's pistol).

A big "thank you" to Lisa for that article. (She saved you from a boatload of article citations I was gonna dump on you all. just sayin')

Last edited:

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
On a first draft DUMP ALL YOU WANT. Then on your rewrite redistribute any material that would better go elsewhere.

After you have completed a few books you will intuitively avoid UNNEEDED exposition not only at the beginning but elsewhere in your book. And you likely will have learned when you DO need a lot of exposition at the beginning, and how to make it interesting.

TrapperViper

Registered
Reaction score
Hello TrapperViper. A question that occurs to me as I read your thoughtful posts: Do you read a lot? I strongly believe that the best way to learn what works and what doesn’t work in fiction is to read widely and with your brain engaged.

If it’s openings you want to study, pick up some of your favorite books and reread their openings, paying close attention to what each sentence is doing, and how the opening makes you want to read on. How is the opening engaging your curiosity? How is it establishing setting? What is it telling you about character? Good openings do all these things at once.

Pick up some recent books in the genre and marketing category you want to write in, and do the same analysis. Some of them will work better than others. If you find yourself not engaged, think about what’s going wrong. You will find so many answers to your questions by studying the books around you.

:e2coffee:

Just want to say that I have taken this bit to heart and it has worked out great. Thank you for the advice.

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
That's so helpful. I have been told I needed to have more exposition.