MarNoWriMo 2019 - Wind and Taxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Did a LOT more writing this week. I'll probably get the fifth chapter done by tomorrow. Finished the Grinch's butt and started his leg on the cross-stitch, so that's making progress too. The only thing I haven't done is the short story, and that's kind of looking like it won't happen what with the guessing thread for sisyfus distraction. As long as I keep making myself do treadmill, I'll be happy. Gotta get that fitness back.

[ ] write one short story
[ ] keep working on cross-stitch
[ ] write five chapters on longer project (quasi-historical AU fantasy) (currently at 4 chapters - roughly 16K words)
[ ] treadmill at least 4 times a week
[X] week 1 (plus 1 walk in the park)
[X] week 2
[X] week 3 (five times this week!)
[ ] week 4

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hooray for the Grinch's butt!

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
End of week 3 of March, and although I'm not burning down the house with my writing speed, I continue to stay on target. I also continue to get about three days of exercise in per week, mostly shlepping seed at the store. Short-story reading is on schedule. I've given myself a 10k goal for April Camp Nano, and I think I can probably do it, although I need to get cracking on organizing what I've written so far.

Second round of formatting edits have come in for my review, and I'm expecting a first draft of the redesign of the Kinglet cover soon, maybe as early as Monday. So the self-publishing choo-choo is running slow but steady.

Write 100 words a day on Book 5 of series
[x] Week One - total for 9 days 1408 (average 156 words per day)
[x] Week Two - 984 (average 140 words per day)
[x] Week Three - 1106 (average 158 words per day)
[ ] Week Four
[ ] Read three books 1 of 3
[ ] Continue reading one short story a week
Get 30 minutes of exercise every day
[ ] Week One nope
[ ] Week Two nope
[ ] Week Three nope
[ ] Week Four
[ ] Review, rewrite acknowledgements and forward final edit files for Books 2-4 to formatter putting off until April
[x] Continue research into self-publishing; set a re-release date for the series and think about promo for same
[x] Send off prequel to fantasy series to betas
[ ] Organize Book 5 writing into chronological order

Aphotic Ink

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so the last couple of days I managed to get some editing in, and while that damn "I need to do something that isn't writing!" procrastination kicked in hard, it kicked in and helped be get submissions done.

So.

[ ] get a story submission-ready - definitely in progress
[:D] submit five times - 7/5 (!)
[ ] finish five books - 2/5
[ ] move my office desk rearrange my office - in progress and nearly done; just a couple of smallstacks left
[ ] knit at least one sleeve for my sweater - in progress
[ ] finish a story draft (or outline)
[ ] write/edit on ten different days - 7/10

It's late and I'm gonna read and knit a little to unwind before bed and hopefully get some more done on this story tomorrow. ;)

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow - congratulations on smashing that submission goal, Aphotic Ink!

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
I've got to switch projects this week, so I expect I'll carry the self-edit over to next month, and likely the rest of what isn't done yet, except maybe the July project. I should be able to come up with something for that :p

[ ] Finish four exercises from Steering the Craft
● Decluttering progress:
[ ] Sort and clear out office shelf.
[1/5] Sort through storage boxes from under the bed.​
● Read:
[X] Finish Timeline by Michael Crichton
[X] The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
[X] Ordeal by Innocence by Agatha Christie
● Writing/Editing goals:
[X] Finish draft of TCTUA
[-] Finish self-edit on CR
[X] Pick April's Camp project
[X] Pick this year's 3-Day Novel project
[X] Pick November's NaNo project
[ ] (Bonus) Pick July's Camp project​

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
I am now allowed to walk! A little bit at a time, along with range-of-motion exercises. I am soooooo excited, you don't even know. :D

I might write something in the next 2 days, but I feel pretty confident in updating today.

Final update:

[x] Survive surgery recovery
[] Write something, anything ~Maybe, we'll see

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So glad to hear this, Saoirse! May your recovery continue to be speedy and uneventful.

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Glad to hear you're recovering well, Saoirse! I hope it all continues to go smoothly.

Well, it's the last day of March here, so I'm wrapping up. I did not accomplish what I wanted to this month. :( At least I did the best with the exercise though. That needs to happen so I can get back to where I was before I got sick just after Christmas. The short story - well, I'm just going to have to accept that it's not going to happen right now. The cross-stitch has been going painfully slow, but now that it seems autumn is really here (it got down to 9 last night!) I'm hoping that will pick up a bit.

I was doing well on the longer story, but then the story exchange and guessing for sisyfus happened, so I got close to my goal there, but not quite over the line. And now it is being put aside for a new story. But I'll get back to it later this year.

So, that's it. Not a very successful month but with sisyfus now over, hopefully things will get back on track (as long as I can stay away from youtube! Although I do now know how to make maple syrup LOL (it was story research)).

[ ] write one short story
[ ] keep working on cross-stitch
[ ] write five chapters on longer project (quasi-historical AU fantasy) (currently at 4.5 chapters – about 18K words)
[ ] treadmill at least 4 times a week
[X] week 1 (plus 1 walk in the park)
[X] week 2
[X] week 3 (five times this week!)
[ ] week 4 (only 3 times, but also did 2 x 2hour heavy gardening and 1 walk in the park)

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Any goals accomplished are reason to celebrate. Congratulations, Jaymz!

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Saoirse - yay for walking!

Week four (and a half, really).

I did not finish my story - but I wrote 10k words on it. It turns out it wants to be a long story (or possibly a novelette/novella, given how much I've skimmed over or skipped writing (description? What's that?)). I might have gotten to the end if I had done more on Saturday, but after a long day, I was mentally exhausted. And it was no guarantee anyway since I spent a good portion of Sunday writing. Anyway, giving myself half a point there because no end but lots of words.

Game had lots of words, lots of planning, but session went well. Only ended up with 5k on Ginevra, since game and story took the rest of my words, but I'm not in any hurry with that one so that's okay. I finished typing up the chapter edits for S&M and no longer have any more excuses for not querying. Did not actually query. I considered sending one off today, but it would have been rushed just to get the goal completed. But given I'm basically ready, rushed is one more excuse. >>

Started reading Abaddon's Gate (James SA Corey, book 3) but didn't get very far. No half points for my reading, I just did terribly.

Baking: I tried an orange and almond cake for the game. It... failed utterly as a cake. I think maybe just didn't cook it long enough. However! Everyone liked it as a type of pudding thing (going back for thirds in one case). So, uh, bad cake, successful bake?

(Summary: decent writing, bad submitting, bad reading. So an utterly normal month for me.)

1. Read five books. 3/5
2. Final clean of SS story. Yes!
3. Edit one story. Yes!
4. Draft one new story. 10k words in.
5. Game planning. Yep.
6. Type up edit for S&M. Yes!
7. Send at least one query for it. Nope.
8. Write Ginevra. Little bit.
9. Read or write/edit each day, with one dedicated writing day per week. Yes.
10. Bake a thing. Yes. Definitely a thing.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had a big writing surge this final week-and-a-bit of March and doubled my output. I finally feel excited about finishing this book, after months and months of it feeling like drudgery every time I sat down to write. That may be because I shook off the last connection to my former publisher when I decided to have new covers done, or it could be because writing has become a habit again, rather than something I did once in a while. I also kept up with my reading: stayed on track with my short stories and finished Tim Birkhead's Bird Sense as well as Adrian Tinniswood's Behind the Throne: A Domestic History of the British Royal Household. The latter was chosen for research for Book 5 (I needed some ideas about how my MC's kingdom would function), but it turned out to be an extremely interesting and surprisingly brisk read. I find that I roar through non-fic when I'm writing steadily, but can't get interested in novels.

It turned out I didn't need to organize my work on Book 5 as much as I thought, so I'm going to let things stay messy until after April's Camp. I've given myself a 10k goal, which means I'll need to step up my game and produce about 333 words per day. I think I can do it. I'm sure going to try.

My exercise goal was a complete fail. While I got some exercise every week (mostly working at the store, and sometimes that was a LOT of exercise), I didn't get anywhere near making it a daily habit. I could blame it on spending so much time writing, but it was just laziness, pure and simple. I'm not giving up, though - that goal will return in April. I find I feel better if I get some form of exercise every day.

Write 100 words a day on Book 5 of series - done! Wrote approximately 5770 words this month, or 186 words a day.
[x] Week One - total for 9 days 1408 (average 156 words per day)
[x] Week Two - 984 (average 140 words per day)
[x] Week Three - 1106 (average 158 words per day)
[x] Week Four - 2294 (average 286 words per day)
[x] Read three books 3 of 3
[x] Continue reading one short story a week
Get 30 minutes of exercise every day
[ ] Week One nope
[ ] Week Two nope
[ ] Week Three nope
[ ] Week Four nope
[ ] Review, rewrite acknowledgements and forward final edit files for Books 2-4 to formatter putting off until April
[x] Continue research into self-publishing; set a re-release date for the series and think about promo for same
[x] Send off prequel to fantasy series to betas
[ ] Organize Book 5 writing into chronological order putting off until after April Camp

I'll be starting the April thread shortly. Whether you're participating in the April Camp or not, please join us there to state and track your goals for the month!

Last edited:

Aphotic Ink

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, mrsmig. Partly it's just trying to turn rejections around faster. Not happy to be getting them, but happy to be dealing with them a little better? And congrats on getting your words out!

Yay for the walking, Saiorse!

[:D] get a story submission-ready - done!
[:D] submit five times - 9/5 (!) (!!)
[ ] finish five books - 3/5 - not what I'd hoped but oh well
[ ] rearrange my office - in progress and nearly done; just a couple of smallstacks left
[ ] knit at least one sleeve for my sweater - in progress
[:D] finish a story draft (or outline) - done!
[:D] write/edit on ten different days - 10/10

Overall kind of happy about it all. I need to work a little harder on not slipping into the slump when I finish a project, but I can address that going forward. The nicer weather should help.

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
Right, March wrap-up. Did well on the writing side, not so much on the other things. Ah well.

[ ] Finish four exercises from Steering the Craft
● Decluttering progress:
[ ] Sort and clear out office shelf.
[1/5] Sort through storage boxes from under the bed.​
● Read:
[X] Finish Timeline by Michael Crichton
[X] The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
[X] Ordeal by Innocence by Agatha Christie
● Writing/Editing goals:
[X] Finish draft of TCTUA
[-] Finish self-edit on CR
[X] Pick April's Camp project
[X] Pick this year's 3-Day Novel project
[X] Pick November's NaNo project
[X] (Bonus) Pick July's Camp project

Status
Not open for further replies.