Nomenclature of the top of one's foot

-Riv-

The much appreciated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Arch? Instep? The top of his foot?

As in, the ME's recording at the scene: "Victim's right foot displays severe blunt-force trauma to the <???>"
"Dorsal aspect" is probably what you're looking for.

Michael Myers

Take a chance. Amaze yourself.
Registered
Reaction score
In the carpenter's shop eating oysters with the wa
Website
www.dancerandspy.com
For an ME, yes. I used a poor example of the narrative use I had in mind. Consider the ME talking to the victim's wife, who hasn't the ME's professional background. To her, "dorsal" might invoke the notion of a fish fin.

"Oh, he always had that problem. Couldn't hardly get his boots on because of his <some layman's understanding of the nomenclature>."

Last edited:

-Riv-

The much appreciated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For an ME, yes. I used a poor example of the narrative use I had in mind. Consider the ME talking to the victim's wife, who hasn't the ME's
professional background. To her, "dorsal" might invoke the notion of a fish fin.

"Oh, he always had that problem. Couldn't hardly get his boots on because of his <some layman's understanding of the nomenclature>."

The OP is confusing, then, because it says it is the ME recording, not talking to a layperson. :greenie

"Top of foot" works in layman's terms, I would think.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
"I couldn't pull my boot on because of my foot's top." ???

In this case, you'd probably refer to it as the bridge of the foot—it's the center curvature of the top of your foot over the arch and instep: "I couldn't pull my boot on because the bridge of my foot is too high (or was swollen)."

ETA: Sorry, was typing while you were closing. :greenie

Last edited:

Michael Myers

Take a chance. Amaze yourself.
Registered
Reaction score
In the carpenter's shop eating oysters with the wa
Website
www.dancerandspy.com
"bridge" could work

ETA:

Or not. "My foot's bridge is too high." most likely would invoke in the reader's mind the notion of a castle's footbridge. I'm not worried so much about what words I write, but rather what the reader is most likely to percieve.

Getting a bit off-topic. Sorry about that, Ari. Case closed?

Last edited: