Groundhog Day trope examples

Michael Myers

Take a chance. Amaze yourself.
Registered
Reaction score
In the carpenter's shop eating oysters with the wa
Website
www.dancerandspy.com
What I've come up with after some random memory filtration while preparing the tomato bed:

Groundhog Day
Russian Doll
Edge of Tomorrow
Run Lola Run
Dark Matter: Season X, Episode Y.
Star Trek: series:season:episode ???

My point being: this plot device by now must be considered a trope. Agree?

Jack McManus

smoothopr8r
Registered
Reaction score
I suppose it could be considered a trope.

How about "50 First Dates" starring Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore? I copied this from IMDB:

"Henry Roth is a man afraid of commitment up until he meets the beautiful Lucy. They hit it off and Henry think he's finally found the girl of his dreams, until he discovers she has short-term memory loss and forgets him the next day."
Been awhile since I saw it, but The MMC goes through a recurring daily scenario.

The IMDB page for Groundhog Day has a keyword search for the most popular "Trapped in a Time Loop" that lists a slew of movies with similar plots. So yes, I would say it definitely is a trope, and well trodden territory at that.

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
If we're including memory loss-induced repeats, wasn't there a David Spade comedy Blank Slate, about a man whose memory reset each morning? Never saw anything but the ads, but that was the concept I recall.

And there was a later X-Files episode, where a woman kept reliving the day when her boyfriend bombed a bank until she finally figured out how to stop it (with some help from Mulder and Scully, who started catching on to the repeats.)

Also at least one Twilight Zone episode, IIRC... (The one I remember most is the one where Jack Klugman was the spaceship captain.)

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Just because I love it, that X-Files episode is called, 'Monday,' and stars Carol Burnett's late daughter.

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Two more: the YA novel Before I Fall (and movie adaptation). The movie Happy Death Day, which has a lot of wink-wink Groundhog Day callouts, and its sequel. Both involve dying at the end of every or almost every cycle, much like Edge of Tomorrow.

Oh, and memory-loss-induced repeats could maybe be called the Memento trope. That’s the first place I saw this, anyway. Though that movie complicates things by being told backwards so the audience shares the protagonist’s confusion.

Last edited:

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
A time loop is how Dr. Strange beats Dormammu. And I anticipate some kind of time loop in the next Avengers movie (the followup to Infinity War).

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
You want to read Ken Grimwood's Replay - I heard Groundhog Day and several others were semi-based on it. The book is on a much longer timescale - and clever. Far more in it than you can fit in a movie.