Cat Health Scare

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
Early hours of Wed morning cat was paralysed in her hind quarters, and the impairment came out of nowhere.

Googled symptoms and rushed her to emergency vet, with heart in mouth. On examination vet suggested was not a saddle thrombosis and thought a slipped disc or an arthritis complication was more likely, though she couldn't rule out something neurological. Gave pws a shot of anti-inflammatory and instructed me to follow up with usual vet.

Cat was back on her feet on return home, but within an hour she was flopping about again. Vet appointment booked with expectation of having to put her down. Cat recovered a little, but was still wobbly on hind legs. Vet issued me with pain/anti-inflammatory meds, while I weighed up whether it was time to call it a day. Had misgivings, but cat was still eating and drinking, and she didn't seem to be in pain, so I thought she should have more time.

I finally headed off to bed today at 5am. When I eventually surfaced and looked in on cat, Sodface climbed out of her basket and charged towards me, with her best, "Feed me, bitch!" meow.

Sod.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
That sounds so scary!!! I'm glad she's ok now (apparently), but geez.

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Cats. Can't live with 'em. Can't eat 'em.

:Hug2:

Saddle Thromboembolism is ordinarily extremely painful (basically a blood clot in the vessels that supply blood to the legs) even for previously stoic cats. But those symptoms your pet experienced are severe. Keep in touch with her medical team and keep her indoors.

Consider having her heart structure and function evaluated, just for the sake of thoroughness.

It's sort of impossible to keep a cat quiet, short of crate rest, but don't encourage play or athleticism.

*pours fancy-yet-strong cocktails*

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
It was an interesting 24hrs.

Cat seems to be back to her usual self, which makes me think a clot was not the cause. Also, I've noticed she's had trouble reaching awkward places when grooming for a while and she protested when the vet prodded a tender place on her spine. She's eating like a horse -- providing it's something the picky bugger fancies -- so I'm assuming she's out of the woods.

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Was the jab steroid? That'll make you eat.

Slipped disc/pinched nerve can recur. Depending on how things go, doc may prescribe a stash of meds to keep on hand.

Mostly, the resting at this point.

And the booze. :greenie

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
Was the jab steroid? That'll make you eat.

Slipped disc/pinched nerve can recur. Depending on how things go, doc may prescribe a stash of meds to keep on hand.

Mostly, the resting at this point.

And the booze. :greenie

No, not steroid, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory. Vet (who was actually from Kansas, and which was kinda surprising because I live in S Wales in the UK) advised she preferred steroids, but as the emergency vet had commenced treatment with an anti-inflammatory that was the way to continue. Cat has always had a hearty appetite, so at least that's normal.

Pws is an old girl, whose scampering days are behind her, but I'm now watching her like a hawk, even so.

Boy, after Wed, I wish I could indulge and polish off a bottle of shiraz, but meds...

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Heh. In the U.S. NSAIDS are taught as a big feline no-no. And aspirin has a history of being problematic for kee-kats, reserved for use with clot-risk cardio cases. Most of the newer 'style' NSAIDS work and are tolerated quite well.

Yeah, observe and enjoy. 'So glad it's not the Bad outcome.

*extra cuddles and naps*