Buying an ISBN?

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
In the process of publishing my latest book, a sequel to the 7th. The ebook will go on KDP, but this time the "pbook" will go on IngramSpark because I want it to be a hardback.

I also want to buy an ISBN for the pbook. Any advice on how to do that & get the cheapest deal?

lonestarlibrarian

senior bean supervisor
Registered
Reaction score
When I bought mine back in 2009 through Bowker, a batch of 10 sold for $275. With your ISBN prefix application, you also got a link that would generate the bar code that went with it.

In 2019, one ISBN goes for $125. 10 ISBNs go for $295. So if you're planning on doing multiple formats (each format needs its own ISBN) or multiple projects, the 10 ISBNs would make sense by your third item.

100 ISBN's go for $575, if you're planning on doing more than 10 things.

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
I'm curious why you want one. Unless you're making a run on the USA Today best seller list (and being exclusive to Amazon, you can't do that), it's an expense you can avoid.

another possibility is to go in with a friend on a set of 100.

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
I've gone back and forth on the ISBN thing. I'd like them because I want to publish hardbacks through Ingram, but it's hard to justify almost six hundred bucks at my level of sales. But Laer has been doing this longer, and she's seeing some more success than me. Investing a chunk like that might make sense for her.