Can I even submit something like this?

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been away from writing and this board for too long, so I'm sorry to jump right in and ask for help. I wrote a very short piece, 260 words. It's a short essay about grief. Can I even submit this anywhere? Do you know of a publication that buys pieces like this?

Thanks to all who have advice.

Last edited:

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
A 260 word essay on grief will probably be a hard sell. It sounds too much like a blog post.

I don’t know if you’ll have luck with finding anyone to buy it, but you may be able to guest-post on someone’s established blog.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Is this fiction?

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
Well guys, now I feel stupid. I should've realized this was flash fiction. I found a contest through WOW, Women on Writing and submitted it today. I haven't submitted anything in over two years, so I'm glad I asked!

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
The best things about online communities is how they open up possibilities.

Congrats on taking a chance and good luck.

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
The best things about online communities is how they open up possibilities.

Congrats on taking a chance and good luck.

Thank you! I love this forum for exactly that reason! Plus everyone here is pretty solidly cool :)

David Odle

Chasing the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.davidodle.com
Flash fiction is in more demand than people realize. Myself, I can't write flash fiction. I've tried. But, there are several publications seeking it. I'm publishing a three-part series on publishing short stories on my blog (I just posted part 1 yesterday). If you're interested, check it out. Bottom line, yes, if it's good, you can publish it.

Last edited:

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
Flash fiction is in more demand than people realize. Myself, I can't write flash fiction. I've tried. But, there are several publications and seeking it. I'm publishing a three-part series on publishing short stories on my blog (I just posted part 1 yesterday). If you're interested, check it out. Bottom line, yes, if it's good, you can publish it.

I'll check out the blog post! I submitted to a writing contest and paid extra for a critique, but would love to submit elsewhere if they don't like it.

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
Update: Thanks for the replies! I submitted to a creative non-fiction contest WOW! Women on Writing. I didn't make the final cut, but got excellent feedback with a critique. They said normally writers score less than an 8 out of possible 15. I got 13, and was encouraged to change a few things, and resubmit. Has anyone participated in this contest? Thanks again for the feedback!

David Odle

Chasing the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.davidodle.com
Good to hear that you received some critique. In my experience, responses to the fee-based contests are typically positive, even on rejections, and the value is in the critique. They'll tell you why they rejected it. I've only entered two, but both times, that's what I got.

Good luck in your pursuit!