Self-Publishing Children's Books

CeeMe29

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Has anyone self-published a children's book and actually made money from it?
If so, do you have any recommendations of which companies are good to go with?
I researched the companies that are good and those to avoid, on the professional
book sites for children, but I'd like to hear from someone who's actually done it.
Thanks for any help/information.

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
When you say "companies", do you mean vanity presses? I think we need to understand what you're looking for before answering, but I can say that if you use the services of a vanity press, you will not be making money--you will instead be paying out a great deal and receiving a shoddy product in return.

Self-publishing children's books (it might also be good to define exactly what kind of children's book you mean--a picture book? Early reader? Chapter book? Middle grade or YA novel?) and making money from them is very, very difficult, mostly because most children's books are bought in stores, and most bookstores won't carry self-published books.

CeeMe29

Registered
Reaction score
Marissa, I know what you're saying, and maybe these companies are just replacements for former Vanity Companies, but
I have considered them, because of the services they provide. Ideally, I'll do true self-publishing, but still not sure if going
with a book printer or publisher like KDP or Smashwords is the way to go, either. I know people who went with "sheperding"
(maybe vanity) services for their first book, and it wasn't shoddy at all.
They set up their own publishing company, bought their own ISBN and such, but they still need to get the book out there.
Of course, the few people I knew who did this, didn't make great money. Well, one person claims she made five figures, but
hers was a unique novel.
So many regular publishers won't accept unagented/unsolicited material, so that doesn't leave many companies out there,
and most don't pay great royalties, but maybe that's still the way to go.
Just curious about anyone's experience with children's books below the middle reader level, but thanks for replying.

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Marissa, I know what you're saying, and maybe these companies are just replacements for former Vanity Companies, but
I have considered them, because of the services they provide. Ideally, I'll do true self-publishing, but still not sure if going
with a book printer or publisher like KDP or Smashwords is the way to go, either. I know people who went with "sheperding"
(maybe vanity) services for their first book, and it wasn't shoddy at all.
They set up their own publishing company, bought their own ISBN and such, but they still need to get the book out there.
Of course, the few people I knew who did this, didn't make great money. Well, one person claims she made five figures, but
hers was a unique novel.
So many regular publishers won't accept unagented/unsolicited material, so that doesn't leave many companies out there,
and most don't pay great royalties, but maybe that's still the way to go.
Just curious about anyone's experience with children's books below the middle reader level, but thanks for replying.

I'm not sure why you keep saying/think trade publishers don't pay great royalties. What do you mean by that?

It's true most publishing houses won't accept unsolicited material, but that's why there are agents. Have you considered looking for an agent?

As to KDP, etc., it's totally not my area of expertise, so I could be wrong here, but I think they're just platforms used by self-publishers to make stuff available, not publishers or printers.

CeeMe29

Registered
Reaction score
Self Publishing Children's Books

Well, maybe I'm behind on the royalty thing, but most pay 10-15% on the wholesale price.
Some smaller companies don't even pay that. So, unless you sell a ton of books, that's not
much compared to 60-80% but I guess you still have to sell a ton of books.
I know there are agents, but that's no guarantee, either, and then you split the profits.
You're probably right about KDP and such and I'm not crazy about them, so that's why I wanted to
reach out and post to anyone who might have self-published a children's book. I didn't mean to
upset you with my post. I was just looking for information, but maybe there aren't many self-published
childrens' authors.
Thanks for your reply.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Well, maybe I'm behind on the royalty thing, but most pay 10-15% on the wholesale price.

This is not accurate. A reputable publisher pays royalties based on the retail price, not net, not wholesale. And there's usually an advance.

Self-publishing is a great option if you have the skills or can pay those who do. But self-publishing limits your sales; libraries and bookstores won't be carrying your book.

If you're serious about children's book publishing, the very first thing to do is thoroughly read the Society of
Children's Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI) Website, starting with the FAQs.

SCWBI is an organization by writers and illustrators for writers and illustrators. There are local chapters and several conferences. It's a great group.

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
This is not accurate. A reputable publisher pays royalties based on the retail price, not net, not wholesale. And there's usually an advance.

This. A reputable trade publisher pays advances, which is a chunk of money that is yours even if the book does not earn out. Once a book has earned out, then royalty payments begin...and there are nice things called escalation clauses that can happen in contracts which increase the royalty rate when a certain sales threshold is reached.

Also, an agent usually gets 15%. They've usually earned it.