Jumping into the self publishing ocean

sandree

Registered
Reaction score
So something weird is happening. I had 17 downloads of my free first in series a couple of days ago and there are 35 downloads so far today (now it’s 40). WTH is going on? I don’t think I paid for any newsletter promos which is the only place I’ve seen spikes like that.

I only have two books published and the first had sunk to the depths of Amazon while I wrote number two. Number two didn’t sell much when it came out. I then went wide with both books and set the first one to permafree. I changed my publishing goal to just being happy if my books get read. Minimal promotion, mostly newsletter swaps. No money at all spent on promoting for the last month. The freebie hangs out around #20 - #30 in the free categories it’s in. So I was getting 1 or 2 downloads of the free book and an occasional sale of book 2 and I was busy painting and not paying much attention to the books.

So this is just weird. I don’t know where these downloads are coming from. Maybe a newsletter swap though I haven’t seen too much coming from those. I have found that being on Goodreads does bring some activity. Or maybe I paid for a newsletter in some brain fogged moment and have no record of it. Anyway, I’m curious to see where this goes...

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm. I don't know. But I now plan to mention on twitter that SoC is free and how much I enjoyed reading it last year. :)

I do know that some bot-like entities from all over the world occasionally visit my website and then contact me to tell me I should advertise with them because 'their readers would enjoy my book.' Uruguay, Lithuania, etc, all over the world I get these mails within a day of a hit from there to my website. An America sounding name, usually, but the hit to the website is always somewhere remote. That has made me wonder what sorts of algorithms are out there weeding through free materials in the hopes of finding someone willing to pay money.

IOW, although I bet those downloads are readers (and maybe a boost from Amazon for the permafree?), there might be other things going on as well.

^^None of that really hangs together. :) Color me puzzled.

Last thing--out of the blue I had two sales yesterday, which was after a dry spell, and I also don't know what to attribute it to although possibly something on twitter. But maybe it's a seasonal thing, people looking for christmas presents.

sandree

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the Twitter comment. That is one social media platform I’m not on. It continues to go up. Who knows?

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Indeed, the internet works in mysterious ways, but you are certainly welcome.

Two people clicked on the link in the tweet I sent. So, maybe two downloads from that, tops.

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
Amazon's algorithms have had smarter people than us scratching their heads for some time.

I've had surges like yours, for Twelve Tales of Christmas when it was free. I think it gets associated somehow with a more popular book, an "also bought" sort of relationship. And don't dismiss the power of those free newsletters. ItsWriteNow featured my Snow White book yesterday and gave me a nice blip.

Although if you try to use my blog post about free newsletters, I've had to update it. AskDavid and ChoosyBookworm are no longer free, which is a drag because they were two of the best. But most of the rest are still hanging in there. : )

sandree

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on the bump. I haven’t tried Its Write Now. I’ll put that on my list. I haven’t done any of those kinds of newsletters for at least a month. Just a few newsletter swaps on Story Origin.

But the downloads of the free book are continuing. 115 downloads the other day, 58 today. I’m just happy it’s getting read. One paid purchase of book two today. I can only hope I’ll get some more of those.