• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Ladderbird

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Out of the roster of 17 authors they represent, they appear to have made two sales, one of which was to non-profit publisher Red Hen Press (link to AW thread here. It's somewhat elderly but the main bone of contention - that the press charges unagented authors a $20 fee to submit - still holds). The second is to small but quite respectable SFF publisher Apex Book Company and is due out in August of this year.

So...they seem to be quite new, and maybe a tad shaky on their legs yet. I'm a bit concerned that in their Careers section, they state:

We are a full service literary agency offering editorial services, subsidiary rights, and conventional representation.

It's that "editorial services" thing that raises a red flag. I always feel that an agency or publisher offering editorial services has a potential conflict of interest ("We rejected your manuscript, but you can pay us to improve it for you.")

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Another sale...

Saving Ruby King by Catherine Adel West coming out in Winter 2020 (Park Row Books)

Corvid

~
Registered
Reaction score
One of their agents just liked one my DVPit tweets. Has anyone had any recent dealings with them?

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Yes-- Head of the agency requested my full and got back with a R and feedback in a timely manner.

I'd submit to them without qualm.

Corvid

~
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome, thank you Patty! I always feel better when I hear other people have good experiences. I'll give them a shot then.

OnyxEyez

Registered
Reaction score
I came here for the same reason as Corvid. It's good to hear they are responsive, and Tammy Lynn Stoner isn't a small sale for sure. I probably will give them a shot too based on this.

OnyxEyez

Registered
Reaction score
Most of the agents though look like they have little experience in the publishing world prior to this - should that be a red flag?

Wizera

MG/YA Author and Playwright
Registered
Reaction score
Queried Beth Marshea with an MG fantasy: 8/2/2022
Rejection: 10/25/2022

But I'm going to query Stefanie Molina, who I just heard speak at an SCBWI panel. She seems pretty great!