Line Editing: What it is and isn't, and will it survive?

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is Line Editing a Lost Art?

I found this article a pleasure to read and, though I almost certainly will never be a novelist, for instance, I also found it useful. The intimate and detailed descriptions of what line editing is, how it works, and the relationship between the line editor and the writer are moving and instructive both.

As well, there is just enough literary gossip about some of the famous writers we know of, and how the art of line editing worked with their processes, to spice things up a touch. Line editors are unrecognized contributors to the art of excellent writing, most often -- as who has heard of these people? No doubt a few of us here have but I bet most are as unaware as I was. I came away feeling these people are heroes of literature.

Ultimately the article seemed to offer me a more visceral and functional way of relating to text I myself am trying to improve or revise -- or decide if I need to do either.

Enjoy!

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Line edits, at their most basic, are looking at sentence structure and how the author uses language to communicate. Some authors need it more than others and it tends to help beginning authors to find their style. It's not a lost art, just a too often ignored step in processing a manuscript. Plus, there's a big overlap between a line edit and story development editing. Some of the examples in the article I would have placed outside of specifically line editing.

FWIW, for me, line edits usually focus on my heavy use of run-on sentences and my extreme use of the word "actually." I also get a number of "Did you really mean...?" word substitutions. There are problem words I always seem to use incorrectly. When I first started, I got a lot more suggestions on how to change pacing, tighten the dialog and fix transitions. Actually, I've learned most of those lessons but, actually, I can't seem to stop using the word "actually." :)

Jeff

Last edited: