If anyone is a fan of Vonda N. McIntyre - not great news...

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Looks like she's recently received a bad diagnosis: inoperable pancreatic cancer. A year, maybe...

CaringBridge page with more details, contact info

My parents knew her from old fandom (she was involved in a group known as the Nameless.) I also recall reading one of her Star Trek books, in which she gleefully murdered Kirk numerous times as Spock had to watch. (She hated the character, and saw the misogyny on the show before many did.) A sad day for SF...

D. E. Wyatt

Registered
Reaction score
The only thing of hers I ever read was the Star Wars novel the Crystal Star. I have to admit that afterwards I never had an interest in picking up anything else with her name on it.

My condolences to her family, though. I lost my dad to pancreatic cancer just after Christmas 9 years ago. A year is probably an optimistic prognosis; it's a very aggressive cancer, and unfortunately as I understand it, it's usually not detected until it's already well advanced because of misdiagnoses (in my dad's case it was covered up by his diabetes, and to this day I still wonder if the cancer wasn't the problem all along).

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am sad. I LOVED her fantasy historical The Moon and the Sun, about the court of the Sun King and what happens when they encounter a mermaid from the New World. A very underrated book. The research was extremely well done. She also wrote many short stories, the majority of them dystopic and depressing, but they made you think.

Marissa D what is the Book View Cafe?

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
I am sad. I LOVED her fantasy historical The Moon and the Sun, about the court of the Sun King and what happens when they encounter a mermaid from the New World. A very underrated book. The research was extremely well done. She also wrote many short stories, the majority of them dystopic and depressing, but they made you think.

Marissa D what is the Book View Cafe?

Book View Cafe is an author-led cooperative publisher of (mostly) genre fiction (heavily slanted toward SF and fantasy) that started up in 2008, and Vonda is one of the mainstays. The website/store is www.bookviewcafe.com

babbage

Registered
Reaction score
Loved her Star Trek novel The Entropy Effect when I was a kid. I need to read Dreamsnake, which is buried in my book shelf somewhere.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Oh crap.

I love her work, and her generosity towards other writers.

Dreamsnake had an enormous influence on me as a teen.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Looks like it won't be much longer, unfortunately...

The CaringBridge page from the first post is still being updated, if anyone wants to leave comments for her or her caregivers. (It looks like she may have finished the last book she was working, on at least.)

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Vonda passed away this evening, peacefully and with little pain according to the post on CaringBridge.

Damn.

Damn. She was a lovely person and a wonderful writer. This is a loss to so many people; my condolences and deepest sympathies.