"previously published"

Stytch

Registered
Reaction score
First question: If a short story is published by a small private-school's academic journal that explicitly states it collects no right and only makes a tiny print run (and has no on-line presence) does that really count as "previously published" or not?

Second question: How would you react if the following happened to you: I sent a version of the above question to a magazine whose website says "no reprints without querying first." I think my first mistake was thinking that the statement meant "query whether a previous publication is something we'd consider a reprint." I sent a very brief email asking if a story I'd printed in the described circumstances would be considered a reprint. I did not really "query" in the publishing sense. I got back this response: "- thank you for letting us see your shot story. Alas,as per our guidelines, we don't accept published stories -- we receive a large number of unpublished stories, so to be fair to other writers, we can't make excpetions to our policy. Please feel free to submit again with a new story." (sic) Typos and weird form(?) response aside (I did not send them my "shot" story, or any short story), why would you put that on your website if the policy is "no reprints," something I've seen written clearly in plenty of places. What am I not understanding??
How am I supposed to feel about this? I'm not trying to name names, but the magazine in question has been around for a LONG time, and the person's name on the email is... a published writer, I googled them. Their name is mentioned here a few times. I just can't get over the quality of the response from something and someone I'd think would do better. Do people get this sort of ridiculous response very often? Am I just not understanding something? Do editorial types not proofread?
Ok, I feel better to have gotten that out there now. Thanks.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It is previously published and they replied that they won't make an exception even given how minor the publishing was. So, typos aside I guess that is your answer. The only thing that strikes me as odd is that they suggest people with reprints query when they have what seems to be a pretty firm rule about it.

Updown

Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately that is quite common with some publishers/agents. If it has been published at all before, in any form, some people refuse to take it on.

pdichellis

Murder! You want fries with that?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
murderandfries.wordpress.com
Sympathy and a couple of quick points:

1. It's a reprint because "First (Publishing) Rights" are no longer available. Once it's published, First Rights are gone regardless of how big the publishing run was.

2. Sometimes editors send weird rejection notes (looks like yours included some cut & paste). They're busy people.

3. Look for reprint markets that say they accept reprints, with no conditions attached. "Query first" or "By invitation only" often means they are super picky about reprints (reprints from top market, by top author, award winner, etc.). Definitely mention in your cover letter the original publisher's print run was small and the story has never appeared online. Will probably help your chances.

Good luck!

David Odle

Chasing the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.davidodle.com
One thing that is often misunderstood is how much time editors have in a day to deal with your question or manuscript. Many of them (most of them) have full time jobs and are supporting the publication in their "spare time", or at the very least, juggling it with a million other activities. Be happy you received a response. Also, it appears the editor actually took the time to answer your specific question - maybe they copy/pasted into their form rejection.

It's never personal. And your question was answered. To pdichellis's comment above, there are several publications that accept reprints. Find those.

Good luck!

Paul Lamb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paullamb.wordpress.com
In my experience, editors have very long memories, so if you send them something that has been published, even obscurely published, and they don't realize it but learn it later, you're on their blacklist forever.

But as pdichellis said, there are publications that focus on reprinting already published works. So even if one mag's standards don't allow it, there may be other options for your piece.