Let's play The Cube, the (famous?) mysterious identity game

SwallowFeather

Oops I just swallowed a feather
Registered
Reaction score
Let's have some fun!

I discovered this game in a little square book picked up in a free-box of discards as everyone was moving out of the dorms after college graduation. I played it with many people in the years that followed, but I recently realized I haven't played it with anyone in ages, and I want to share. It's the kind of game you can only play once for yourself, so after that the joy is in sharing...

It's a visualization game. If you choose to play, you'll make a mental picture and keep adding to it certain objects as I name them. I'll do that in a series of posts following this one. I tell you what the object is, but you'll fill in the details--those are personal to you, and are the important, revelatory part. That's because these objects represent certain things about yourself--I'll tell you what they represent till you've completed your picture.

Try to complete each step before you read the post for the next one--the game works best that way.

Here in this thread, you'll play by describing your picture in a post, or, if you prefer to keep it private, but simply posting that you've played (completed your mental picture).

After three days, I'll give the answer key about what all the objects in the picture mean.

You can take this game as seriously (some people do) or as whimsically as you like. It was actually remarkably accurate for me!

Welcome to the Cube!

Last edited:

SwallowFeather

Registered
Reaction score
Step 1: The Desert and the Cube

Picture a desert; a flat, open landscape. In it somewhere, picture a cube.

What is the cube made of? How big is it? How is it situated? Do you see anything particular about your cube besides material, size, and position?

SwallowFeather

Registered
Reaction score
Step 2: The Ladder

Somewhere in your landscape, picture a ladder.

What is it made of? How tall is it? How is it placed in relation to the cube? What condition is it in? Anything else notable about it?

SwallowFeather

Registered
Reaction score
Step 3: The Horse

Somewhere in your landscape, picture a horse.

What kind of horse is it? How big? What color? Any other particular features about it? How is it situated in the landscape & in relation to the cube? What is it doing?

SwallowFeather

Registered
Reaction score
Step 4: The Storm

Now add a storm somewhere in your landscape.

Where is it? What kind of storm is it and how severe does it seem? Is it far, near, how is it placed in relation to the other things? How does it affect the other things—are they responding to it in any way?

SwallowFeather

Registered
Reaction score
Step 5: The Flowers

Now add flowers somewhere in your landscape.

What kind are they? What color(s)? How many? What condition are they in? How are they placed in the landscape in relation to the other things you've pictured?

Once you've added the flowers to your landscape, congratulations, you are done! Stay tuned for the answer key.

RAL

Registered
Reaction score
Large, 3 pronged, cactus, standing alone, in the far off distance, back right hand corner of the picture. Chain links hanging down from the right arm of the cactus. The 2 ends of the chain coalesce together into a cube that looks like a lantern hanging down.

left side foreground there is small pit dug. The tree branch/vine ladder lays horizontal covering the pit.

A lean, fit yet tired horse ... halfway back on the left side. He is facing to the right, his neck hanging down ... not to eat or graze the grass. not in preparation to lie down in exhaustion. Merely in a momentary stance of collecting oneself, a pause to breathe, the eyes alert, readying himself for the greater fight to come.

Far back left a dust up. Could be the onset of a tornado. Could just be what's on the dirty ground back there being tossed up in the air, and around by the swirling winds. Its magnitude yet to be determined.

In amongst the swirling dirt are dry dead flowers. tossed around higher and higher up into the sky. The more they ascend the more they are ripped apart and spit upwards and outwards.

Last edited:

CWDao

Registered
Reaction score
The cube is made of wooden planks. It is 3x3x3 feet. It is sitting slightly sunken in the sand.

The ladder is made of bamboo, it extends infinitely towards the heavens. It is at least half a mile away from the cube. The ladder is in perfect condition, and it seems almost fixed permanently.

My horse is an old pony. About 4 ft high. I had to look up the color, it's grullo or tan-grey. It's velvity. It's equally far away from the ladder and cube. It's looking down at the ground.

My storm is just a massive cloud, situated above the box. It is a deep black, with thunder booming from within it, no rain. The things are unaffected.

My flowers are irises. White and blue. There is a small field surrounding the horse, in good condition. It does not reach the other objects.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
OMG, I used to do this all the time in high school! Think I still have the same image I always did, but I wonder how it would be different if I did for the first time.

The cube is extremely large and hovers and rotates. It is made of white marble and carved in an extremely baroque/rococco fashion, with elaborate openwork and statuary.

The ladder is just a ladder, but small and not particularly secure.

The horse is an awesome, beautiful horse, running towards the cube in a epic, majestic fashion.

The storm surrounded the box, and is an all-enveloping hurricane, but never quite reaches it. It is something near, but still distant.

The flower are a huge, multicolored field, encircling the box but not directly under it.

SwallowFeather

Registered
Reaction score
Oh hey you guys! This went nowhere at first and I assumed it got buried and would never resurface. Thanks for playing!! This is fun. I'll wait around and see if we get a few more takers & then post the answers. (& I'll post my own Cube first as well, for fun.)

Norman Mjadwesch

vacuous eyes, will bark at shadows
Registered
Reaction score
The cube is white and medium sized, positioned in the middle distance on the right. It is unclear what it is made of but is too bright to be concrete and is not plastic.

The ladder is a wooden ladder, propped up against the right hand side of the cube, angling to the left. The ladder is used but not frail.

The horse is on the left, facing left, doing nothing. It is pale, maybe straw coloured but possibly a bit darker - there is glare from the sun that is obscuring the view. The horse has a large blaze on its face.

The storm covers the entire horizon, roiling dark purple clouds with a couple of lightning flashes. They do not affect the lighting of the rest of the scene, but are more of an added extra for foreboding mood.

The flowers are vibrant pansies, purple and mauve, loads of them, all along the foreground of the landscape. There is nothing about their appearance to suggest that they are in a desert.

Last edited:

SwallowFeather

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for playing everyone!

I'll give the answers first, and then my cube visualization, b/c if I do it that way I can put in a bit of analysis. That's kind of the fun part. I'd be interested to hear any analysis you have of your Cubes as well!

So, the answer key:

The cube represents you.

The ladder represents your friends.

The horse represents your love-interest.

The storm represents trouble in your life.

The flowers can represent your children or your contribution to the world.

So--what did you learn? Did any surprising similarities or symbols jump out?

SwallowFeather

Registered
Reaction score
OK, my Cube: a wooden cube of bird's eye maple that's actually a box with a seamlessly fitted lid. Exactly the height to be comfortable for sitting on. Has a kind of finish on it called a French polish. (The bit that struck me the most here is kind of silly, but I grew up as an American expat in France, so you could say I have a bit of a French polish at least applied to my surface...)

My ladder: a living ladder-shaped tree (with leaves) rooted in the earth & reaching into the sky. (I'm religious, and also very nature-loving so my interpretations of this tend toward myself/my friends being connected with God and the earth.)

My horse: a black & white paint mustang who, once the storm shows up, tries to climb the ladder. (My husband does have a bit of a double nature, and the mustang thing perfectly fits a theme of his life, which is being once tame and now wild... and he has a tendency to anxiety about future trouble!)

My storm: storm-clouds on the horizon. (I'm an optimist and perceive trouble as distant, I guess.)

My flowers: scattered abundantly all across the desert, like in real deserts after rain. (Well, I have one kid. I kind of took the flowers as a hope about my books... we're not there yet for darn sure!)

What do you see in your picture that connects with your own life?

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
I'll play! Imma gonna write my answers without looking at the answer key or other people's answers to avoid being influenced by what are bound to be some cool landscapes.

Cube - made of clear crystal. Smooth sides. The size of a house. Floating about 20-30 feet in the air. If there were trees, it would be brushing their tops. The sand has wavy lines and you can see these through the cube.

Ladder- plain wood, new and clean looking. Rounded ends and round rungs that look like pieces of wooden broomsticks. Leaning against the cube and just long enough to let someone climb up and sit on the cube if they wanted, but no people around.

Horse- a paint - brown and white splotches. Maybe a mustang. Under the cube and seems to get shade from it, even though the cube is clear. Even though it's a sand desert, it's at ease and grazing, so I guess there's a patch of grass I can't see.

Storm- it's a thunderstorm with black clouds that turn day into night and spectacular lightning. One of those desert monsoons I saw growing up in the U.S. southwest. The ladder is wet. The horse is unfazed and dry, chilling under the cube.

Flowers- little tiny plants covering the desert like an ankle-deep carpet. Mostly yellow and white with some other colors here and there. Blue, red, purple. They smell lovely. They sprouted up because of the rainstorm and won't last long, but they're amazing while they last.

All done! Now to check the answer key and see what it says!

Norman Mjadwesch

vacuous eyes, will bark at shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, time to dissect and see how weird my life is…

Me as the cube: someone who is happy to stand to one side so as not to attract notice.

The ladder as my friends: do my friends lean to the left with their views? Mostly. Though I would not say I prop any of them up.

The horse as my s/o: she seems to be ignoring me Big Time in my pic! Well. It might be time to have a sit down together?

The storm as life problems: spectacular and spanning the entire horizon but far enough away to ignore for the time being. LOL, the story of my life.

Flowers as life contribution: depending on which contribution specifically, I’ll go with my writing seeing as how AW kinda has that as a theme. So I have all of these ideas that are front and centre in the desert of my life, i.e. finding representation, though for some reason my flowers are flourishing which is certainly not the case IRL. Maybe I need to bring those storms closer? Not a happy prospect.

Man, there would be so many ways to interpret this exercise, so long as we don’t take it too seriously. But a fun way to pass a bit of time.