AW is an Amazon Affiliate

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

paypal subscribe button

How To Support AW

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What game has your favorite story?

Revolutionize the World kuwisdelu's Avatar
    I just finished Horizon Zero Dawn and it's probably my favorite video game story so far.

But I also just love apocalyptic stories.

With those we love alive is also very good.
    "The Sixth World", in Nameless Woman (2018), republished in Transcendent 4 (2019).
    "Dreamborn", in Maiden, Mother, and Crone (2019).

(a twitter.)

Snufkin Coming For You Kjbartolotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Turnip Knight View Post
    With those two statements alone, you need to play Nier Automata. You'll enjoy it. Robots and philosophy, oh my.

Xenogears was super cool, but I never finished it. I tried more than once.
    Yeah, I like Nier better than XG now. My stars. Not just the weird recursive existentialism & symbolic symbology, but the quirk and humour that keeps it from lapsing into darkness-induced apathy. Not gonna knock on the WitchRim Assassin's Age: Inquisitions of the world, because I play them all, but there's something special about AA games like these are their singular visions.

Not even halfway through Path A, so I expect things will only get better.

Absorbing inspiration from the moon owlion's Avatar
    I love the story of Owlboy, especially as you have to work a bit to find some of it (and the character interactions help with worldbuilding a lot). I also really enjoy the stories of Ghost Trick, Journey, Okami, Detention, What Remains of Edith Finch, SOMA, The Wolf Among Us and Nier: Automata.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    No mentions of God of War PS4? Do my eyes deceive me? The dynamic fully realized relationships between characters ALONE should have it on this list. That's before mentioning all of the optional lore you can discover in the world. I also second Nier Automata, but mainly for 9S's character development across the three parts.

And an honorable mention to Horizon Zero Dawn. The attention to detail and the way Aloy talks to herself constantly is extremely engaging. Then you throw in a rich, vibrant world with a mysterious past that makes the whole world feel like a compelling character you want to learn about. But literally every npc fell flat for me. Amazing world-building and protagonist, but the cheap dialogue attached to the side characters was sometimes a chore to slog through tbh. Looking at you, Sun King.

figuring it all out
    One I haven't seen mentioned here is Until Dawn.

It's not revolutionary or anything. There's nothing about it that made it super fresh or new. But the characters just somehow felt very believable to me, I thought the many different paths the game could take was awesome... yeah, I was super into that. I love games that are mostly based on the player's choices.

And speaking of player's choices: honourable mention to Detroit: Become Human for the same reasons!

Bigger Than A Bread Box Absolute Sage lizmonster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmering View Post
    One I haven't seen mentioned here is Until Dawn.
    Added to my wish list, which is now at 27.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmering View Post
    And speaking of player's choices: honourable mention to Detroit: Become Human for the same reasons!
    I've become kind of addicted to this game because it's actually possible to get everybody a happy ending. The Kid likes to play by p*ssing everybody off, which gives it a very different feel.
    August goals:

Revisions!

Stretch goal:

Possibly a short but not if it sets me back on the above

Latest short story: "Factory Reset"

Linky to all the short stories.
    My short story, "Overlay," written for The Verge and adapted into a short animated film

Like AW? Here's how to support it!

Here are some books I wrote.
    Here's a newsletter (and public archive, for the curious-but-don't-want-to-subscribe crowd)

figuring it all out
    I've become kind of addicted to this game because it's actually possible to get everybody a happy ending. The Kid likes to play by p*ssing everybody off, which gives it a very different feel.
    Haha! I always say I'm going to play through it and make different choices, just to see... but I get too disappointed in myself when I mess up for someone and get them a sad ending.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12