Victorian combat drugs

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing the climax of a story set in an expy of Victorian London (circa 1860's). The heroes are exhausted and sleep deprived, and heading into a firefight. The thought occurred that they might resort to some chemical assistance to bring their energy up. I know cocaine was available in the 19th Century, but what else might be lying around?

And what is the window for the effects to stay in their systems? And just generally, how will someone on a powerful stimulant feel? I've never used any stimulant other than caffeine and energy drinks.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
On the "what does it feel like?" side of things, I take prescription stimulants for ADD and hypersomnia. (I fall asleep unexpectedly. Like, while standing up, teaching a class. Or while actively typing on my laptop.) Generally, the meds don't make me feel anything special. I don't get a buzz or high. They prevent me from feeling groggy during the day, they motivate me to get out of bed, and they help me focus, so I can get things done. Without them, I tend to nap multiple times throughout the day and I lack the willpower to do anything productive.

The only "oopsie" I had was about 18 years ago, when I accidentally took one at bedtime, instead of my regular nighttime pills. That was not a fun night! No sleep, just a lot of energy, which I couldn't do much with, seeing as how it was the middle of the night. As I recall, I did a lot of cleaning and housework.