Any Horror recommendations?

Dom Perkins

The Idahoan Horror Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Any Horror recommendations? Either novels or short story collections. But anything other than Stephen King, only because I've read a lot of his work and I want to try reading a new author.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I enjoyed Laird Barron's three early story collections, The Imago Sequence, Occultation, and The Beautiful Thing That Awaits Us All. I was a little more lukewarm on The Croning, but still found it interesting. His work always has a strong sense of realism to it, but always tends to get very bloody and freaky, with a weird horror vibe. Can be a little florid, but I respect how bizarre and unsettling some of his stories get. My favorites stories of his are The Redfield Girls and Jaws of Saturn.

Cherie Priest is one of my favorites, I'd say her work is fairly accessible and her books can often be very different from one another. Maplecroft ended up being fairly literary and dense, putting an unexpected new twist on Lovecraftian tropes. Family Plot, by comparision, was a by-the-numbers ghost story that easy to enjoy and then put down. And Agony House was a fun, straightforward YA horror novel that was able to tactic some tough topics effortlessly. Well-realized characters and a sense of humor are consistent throughout her work.

David Wong's John Dies at the End series if you like horror-comedy, it's very weird, self-referential, and deliberately unhinged. I thought the first one was fun, if a little too frenetic, but managed to go some deep places. The second one impressed me a lot more and ended up being one of my favorite books. The third I haven't read yet because I just found out about it right now.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I have no shame. The first link in my sig goes to my first two horror books. Staking Cinderella comes out end of next month. :greenie

Also, everything by Damien Angelica Walters and Brian Keene.

Last edited:

Dom Perkins

The Idahoan Horror Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks mate. I'll write down those names for next time I go to the library.

- - - Updated - - -

I have no shame. The first link in my sig goes to my first two horror books. Staking Cinderella comes out end of next month. :greenie

Also, everything by Damien Angelica Walters and Brian Keene.

I'm broke right now but I'll give them a look :)

screenscope

Registered
Reaction score
Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill is one of the scariest horror novels I've read. Hill is Stephen King's son, but he has a very different style.

Going back some years, there's The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty, of course, and I would recommend just about every novel by James Herbert, particularly his early books.

writergirl1994

Registered
Reaction score
My recommendations:
1. Bird Box by Josh Malerman
2. Mapping the Interior by Stephen Graham Jones
3. Mongrels by Stephen Graham Jones
4. The Only Good Indians by Stephen Graham Jones
5. Ring Shout by P. Djeli Clark
6. Alice Isn't Dead by Joseph Fink
7. Horrorstor by Grady Hendrix
8. The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks
9. Zombie by Joyce Carol Oates
10. The Girl With All the Gifts by M.R. Carey
11. Handling the Undead by John Ajvide Lindqvist
12. The Other by Thomas Tryon

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
I've got some young adult recommendations:

1. Freeze Tag by Caroline B. Cooney

2. And the Trees Crept In by Dawn Kurtagich (Also called "The Creeper Man" in other countries).

3. Harrow Lake by Kat Ellis

TulipMama

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a big horror genre guy in general, but I'm right and properly addicted to The Magnus Archives

It's got just the right amount of mystery and oddity to hit that Lovecraftean itch. It's an audio blog, so I'm listening to it while cooking and cleaning.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Not a huge horror fan myself, but I'll give a strong second to P. Djeli Clark's Ring Shout.

Also adding the Newsflesh trilogy by Mira Grant (a.k.a Seanan McGuire), a zombie apocalypse trilogy that eerily foreshadowed the COVID pandemic in how society had to adapt to a ubiquitous disease, as she based the zombie phenomenon on virus research.