Anyone ever rewrite a novel draft?

shadow2

Novelist
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not usually good at making drafts and editing. But I do see its value.

Is it a stupid idea to rewrite an entire finished novel? Basically there are some major changes to the world I'm writing that I want to make. I don't really see how to do this easily by just editing. But at the same time, rewriting an entire novel is a lot of work (I must have poured hundreds of hours into the draft). Has anyone tried this? Is there a better way to substantively revise a story than rewriting it?

Cal_Darin

There's always another secret!
Registered
Reaction score
Oh. I did that. I'm still kinda doing that! For the same reason (major changes to the world and all that)

And I mean, revising and rewriting are somewhat hand in hand? Some things you might be able to keep, others you'll need to scrap.

I'll say this-- my first draft took me over a year to get out. The second one (since I already had the story mostly figured out) ~3 months!

shadow2

Novelist
Registered
Reaction score
Oh. I did that. I'm still kinda doing that! For the same reason (major changes to the world and all that)

And I mean, revising and rewriting are somewhat hand in hand? Some things you might be able to keep, others you'll need to scrap.

I'll say this-- my first draft took me over a year to get out. The second one (since I already had the story mostly figured out) ~3 months!

Oh, cool! I feel like I should do this, but then I was wondering, is this a normal thing to do to a novel, just finish it, think it over, and then start writing it again? But I can tell the process I took in writing it is haphazard - upon reflection I included some stuff that doesn't need to be there, and I didn't even have a clear idea of who some of the characters were or what the main conflict was when I started. Not nearly as much as I do now.

When you did this, did you rewrite every word, or did you copy/paste some stuff from the draft? And did you write it side by side with the draft (structuring it vaguely the same) or just go at it from your memory? I can't tell which would be better.

Cal_Darin

There's always another secret!
Registered
Reaction score
I started trying to copy/ paste. And then realized it was worse than that. Wound up keeping a single scene from the original.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm doing this now. I'm taking the (new to me) approach of getting about 50k words onto the page as quickly as I can, with no editing, no rearranging, no nothing, knowing the whole time that I'm going to start over at page 1 and rewrite every word. Why? This is the sixth or seventh novel I've written, and all before have been written as a single draft I edited heavily as I went . . . to end up with a heavily edited first draft. One got published so it's not wrong to do it this way, but I wasn't happy with the results.

The benefits of the approach I'm trying now is that I'm not as married to saving scenes or individual lines as much as I was using the other approach. I know what parts are going to work in the later draft and which aren't, and I don't feel as much need to rescue a bad scene. Out it goes! It also shows me which ideas aren't as well thought out as I thought they were and need more research. I'm currently at 40k of my target 50k after two months of on/off writing (that's another benefit--I got a shipload of words on the page right quick) and will get to the rewrite soon. It's getting to the point that I will need to see the next iteration to fill the final gaps and have a complete work (shooting for 75 to 90k final manuscript). The advice I'll be following is to actually re-write, not copy and paste--the first draft is so rough cleaning up a copy/paste is going to take as much time as re-writing it clean, plus if I copy/paste I know myself well enough to know I'm going to try to save unsavable parts.

Let us know how it goes :)

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I am sort of doing this, with what is my first novel. Not literally, as in starting with a blank page one and writing fresh, but in some ways, close (and for some scenes, exactly this).

When I reached the end of my first draft there was much that had changed along the way, much that was incoherent, much that needed complete scrap and redo. I created a new outline/synopsis, a scene-by-scene accounting of everything that needed to happen in the novel, and then I rearranged the existing scenes against that new synopsis. Some of the scenes can stand as they are (though they will need heavy editing). Others no longer have a place in the novel at all and are scrapped. For others, maybe bits and pieces will survive, woven into brand new scenes. And there are some new scenes in the new outline that didn’t exist at all in the first draft and now need to be written.

In all, I’m guessing that somewhere between a half and two-thirds of the second draft will be material that didn’t exist in the first draft. As I said, it’s my first novel, and I knew absolutely nothing about writing fiction when I began. So there’s all the knowledge I’ve gained during those years to apply, all those rookie mistakes to excise, and so on. I’m sure that more than half of it is completely unsalvageable.

There was a related thread in Basic Writing Questions not that long ago; you might find it helpful too.

:e2coffee:

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
This is my process. I write one version on paper, review it to see what could be better then set it aside and write a new version in the computer. For the 2nd version I focus a lot more on the language itself, since I now know what the story is.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
I'm on my sixth rewrite on my first novel (although I did write a totally different book in the interim.)

I consider it a rewrite if more than 50% of the novel has to be redone from scratch.

I want the story to work, and I don't want to leave any story behind. So far, fingers crossed, I've salvaged or at least cannibalised every story so far.

gtanders

Registered
Reaction score
Website
leovaughn.com
Is there a better way to substantively revise a story than rewriting it?

No. :)

IMO, the ground-up rewrite is something every book must go through.

Now, that said, the ground-up rewrite can occur at different "layers" of the story. For example, I've revised my process to the point that a lot of the ground-up rewriting happens in the rough pre-writing stage. I hack out notes, try to make connections, find inconsistencies and missed opportunities--all before I've committed a single word to anything resembling a manuscript. Having that stuff hacked out, i.e. having the bones in order, I'm ready to hang dependent organs on them (ready to write a manuscript).

It doesn't work perfectly. My current project, I did the above process, wrote a draft, and in that journey, discovered the true heart of the story, which I didn't have before. I changed course mid-stream and wrote the last 1/3 of the book *as if* it was the ending to that new story, not the ending to the story I had set out to write. Now I'm going back and writing a new beginning to splice into the ending I discovered.

So I'm ground-up rewriting the first 1/2-2/3 or so. But it's heavily informed by rough hacking, which means all the themes are there, MC's motivations shouldn't need more work, etc.

Anyone familiar with Agile Methodology? I think that's what I'm doing here.

Last edited:

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Interesting idea! I'm familiar with Agile project management, but I've not thought to apply it to the writing process. Just thinking out loud, I wonder if it would work well with the "pantsing" approach, in that the writer evaluates the next steps based on the progress so far and goes wherever the story leads. Pantsers don't always stop and evaluate, so it might not fit exactly, and Agile management doesn't mean there are no pre-determined goals; quite the opposite, actually. In the past, when I've outlined I've by default used a work breakdown structure (WBS) approach without knowing it: Define the goal for the book, determine the objectives and setting, then each chapter or scene is its own entity that fills in the schedule to accomplish the whole.

Anyway, sometimes I love the scholarly analysis of writing more than the writing itself. It's fun!

Last edited:

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score

Here's an interesting blog post of AGILE and whiskey: http://agiletips.blogspot.com/2011/08/little-law-cycle-time-and-throughput.html

Scrum, Agile, Lean, Kaizen philosophy.... I wouldn't worry about these. I think two issues are at play:

1) Quality vs. Quantity
2) You are a one-man team; i.e. you must complete almost all tasks of the production process (of your novel) alone.

I use project management for my work. I like structured work, deadlines I set, knowing the work I must do the next day before that day starts, and so on. Time and Task charts and similar things are useful, but only if you are working multiple deadlines (like writing a series and as you write the next book, you are doing things to the first like proofing what betas/agent/editor commented on). Taking in revisions/rewrites/other to the mix, if needed. Well, its a way of keeping on top of things; not for everyone.

I think, maybe, instead of Agile you are working Dan Wells' Structure in your "pre-writing" phase.

Part 1 (of 5) of his 10-min videos on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcmiqQ9NpPE&feature=youtu.be

Dan Wells' format, at least for me, is a dumbed down explanation of thread interweaving of plot and subplots and tell a complete story. I used it for my first book, the book I just started. It helped me a great deal, but only for a standalone project. For series, other tactics are needed, such as symmetry, how to manage character arcs, and so on.

E.Murray

Queries suck.
Registered
Reaction score
I agree it's hard to know when to revise and when to rewrite. I spent a couple years revising (heavily) my first book. The goal was always to keep the basic structure intact, mainly because it was such a complex story that I didn't want to screw it up. After endless revision and several betas, I got to the point where I felt the story was as good as I could make it (given my writing capabilities at the time). I decided to just throw it out on Amazon, so I bought a cover and did all the editing stuff. Then I realized that if it wasn't good enough to attract an agent or to make beta readers demand more, it wasn't good enough. Period.

So I spent a year on a ground-up rewrite. The rewriting process was very "freeing" for me. I was able to start with characters that I really understood and, therefore, design arcs that really work (or so I hope). And since I had a good idea of where I wanted to go, I could make the whole thing more cohesive. Even though the rewrite was a ton of work, I'm very glad I decided to go for it. Now, of course, I have to start the revise-go-round. But that's ok, because the base is better this time. So my point (and I do have one) is that you shouldn't be afraid of the rewrite. If you could do it once, you can do it again.

shadow2

Novelist
Registered
Reaction score
I'm doing this now. I'm taking the (new to me) approach of getting about 50k words onto the page as quickly as I can, with no editing, no rearranging, no nothing, knowing the whole time that I'm going to start over at page 1 and rewrite every word. Why? This is the sixth or seventh novel I've written, and all before have been written as a single draft I edited heavily as I went . . . to end up with a heavily edited first draft. One got published so it's not wrong to do it this way, but I wasn't happy with the results.

The benefits of the approach I'm trying now is that I'm not as married to saving scenes or individual lines as much as I was using the other approach. I know what parts are going to work in the later draft and which aren't, and I don't feel as much need to rescue a bad scene. Out it goes! It also shows me which ideas aren't as well thought out as I thought they were and need more research. I'm currently at 40k of my target 50k after two months of on/off writing (that's another benefit--I got a shipload of words on the page right quick) and will get to the rewrite soon. It's getting to the point that I will need to see the next iteration to fill the final gaps and have a complete work (shooting for 75 to 90k final manuscript). The advice I'll be following is to actually re-write, not copy and paste--the first draft is so rough cleaning up a copy/paste is going to take as much time as re-writing it clean, plus if I copy/paste I know myself well enough to know I'm going to try to save unsavable parts.

Wow, good luck with your story!

To be honest I'm shocked with some of the wisdom in this thread. I never even thought to rewrite any of my first 3 novels but now I realize that I would have been much happier with them if I had.

I'm so excited to rewrite this story now. And I think it's going to be easy - I have around 40,000 words already of periphery stories scrawled in random school notebooks and word documents that are set in my world but just backstory to my 70,000 word actual book. I feel like all of this stuff could in some way be part of the story, it just needs to be organized and rewritten cohesively in a way that makes sense and doesn't just relate to where I was in the story when I thought of it. And I love writing, I'm totally willing to put in the effort to make the story better by rewriting if it's going to improve it.

Thanks for the advice guys, this forum is always so helpful :)

pattmayne

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattmayne.com
Full rewrite?

I did it a few times with two different novels, and neither of them got any better.

I've since learned to plan and plot better before the first draft. I still have to rewrite sections, sometimes whole chapters, but never (so far) the whole novel.

If you find yourself having to rewrite the whole novel, try to really figure out what went wrong the first time.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
I learn by failing :)

A plan is only as good as your capacity to make plans, and therein lie my limitations.

On the flipside, my intuition "jumps" do improve with time. I land on my feet more often, instead of in a tangle, and move in straighter lines as time goes on.

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score

One of my favourite experiences has been sitting in grad school, learning Agile project management, and thinking, "yup, this feels rather familiar."

I mean, there's more to it than that, but fundamentally, it's very similar. It's like coders discovered the writing process in the 1980s.

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, cool! I feel like I should do this, but then I was wondering, is this a normal thing to do to a novel, just finish it, think it over, and then start writing it again? But I can tell the process I took in writing it is haphazard - upon reflection I included some stuff that doesn't need to be there, and I didn't even have a clear idea of who some of the characters were or what the main conflict was when I started. Not nearly as much as I do now.

As you can probably tell from the responses here, yes, this is a normal thing to do. And you've hit on the reason why.

It's something that tends to separate "new" writers from experienced ones, at least in my experience. There are myriad ways to revise--yes, some people "pants" it and figure stuff out as they go, but even that's largely a process of rewriting and revising, it's just the start point is different.

The key is that you go back and revisit the story. Anyone can sit down and tell a story--verbally, prosaically, in song, whatever--to a group of friends. What separates informal storytelling from published fiction is that, if you seek publication, you're seeking to be part of an industry from which people expect entertainment. Polish is part of that. By no means do you have to rewrite outright, though it can certainly be helpful. You do have to find a way to make the story efficient and effective. Writing for readers is work.

I find I rewrite fairly fully at least a couple of times per WIP. Current MS went through 2-3 heavy rewrites, with another 3-4 scattered rewrites where I went after specific chapters or sections--it's possible to look at the story taking shape, realize that, say, you need a whole new plot beat here, and then add it. Or remove 5-6 chapters and replace them with something quite different.

One thing I wish more people would at least try is closing the document and rewriting a chunk--maybe a chapter or so--from memory. You'll remember the important bits. But having written it once, you'll almost subconsciously cut out the extraneous stuff and, simultaneously, discover more. Doesn't always work, but it can break a block and I'll take any tool I can get when one of those hits.

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Full rewrite?

I did it a few times with two different novels, and neither of them got any better.

I've since learned to plan and plot better before the first draft. I still have to rewrite sections, sometimes whole chapters, but never (so far) the whole novel.

If you find yourself having to rewrite the whole novel, try to really figure out what went wrong the first time.

This is an interesting point, and I think us writers, whatever method we use, need to have it clear in our own minds what we want the first draft to do. If the purpose of the first draft is to be as close to the final product as possible, then your approach is spot on and the need for re-writes indicates specific problems with this or that section. On the other hand, if the purpose of the first draft is to throw the spaghetti on the wall and see what sticks, it's entirely possible nothing will and the whole plate will need to be thrown again, and possibly against a different wall. Whatever doesn't work simply doesn't work and should be discarded before any further energy is expended on it. Neither is right or wrong, and I've written both ways.

Carl L Sanders

Registered
Reaction score
I rewrite them all, while waiting to get antsy enough to begin a new one. And yeah; they get better each time. :Shrug:

Elenitsa

writing as Marina Costa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
caribbeandawn1720.jcink.net
I did it with all the four novels in my signature, several times, given that they had been written first in my high-school/ uni years. Also with the short stories collection, in a certain measure. (Most of these stories were written in the latest decade, but in English, and when translating them in my mother tongue, I didn't merely translate, but adapt and re-write).

Kenneth Keltarin

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't been published yet, but I know I'm going to have to re-write my first manuscript, because my second is actually a prequel and invalidates some of the plot points of the first. However, I knew that from the start of the second manuscript, so it's not like a rude-awakening thing.

(I haven't had all of my morning coffee yet so I apologize if my thoughts aren't as coherent as they should be.)

I don't know if I'll re-write my new manuscript. I will if an editor recommends it, or beta readers point out a fundamental flaw in something I never noticed. Getting other eyes on what I have is an important next step for me. I think the best advice I can think of is: don't necessarily decide on a re-write internally, listen to what people are telling you (especially about your work) before you jump into that. But since you're already asking about that here, you've essentially done that already! Hooray!

shadow2

Novelist
Registered
Reaction score
One thing I wish more people would at least try is closing the document and rewriting a chunk--maybe a chapter or so--from memory. You'll remember the important bits. But having written it once, you'll almost subconsciously cut out the extraneous stuff and, simultaneously, discover more. Doesn't always work, but it can break a block and I'll take any tool I can get when one of those hits.

I won't have time to do a full rewrite until the summer, but I just did this: rewrote a chapter from the center of my book. It made it so much better! It's like complete gold compared to what I had before. You're right, I naturally forgot about and removed the clumsier parts of the scene and added things that make more sense in the context of where the story actually progresses.

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Bizarre this thread just came up again. I've spent the last hour starting the second, and much more polished, draft. It's harder than I expected it to be! I am still feeling tied to the words of the first draft, although not verbatim I want to capture the stuff I like from the first. I'm also not adding as many words as I thought I would be, so (with only a few pages done so far, look at me all paranoid) I hope I have enough story fleshed out to get a full length second draft. The first draft was only 40K words, and the ideas were starting to poop out.

David Odle

Chasing the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.davidodle.com
I did this once, with the first novel I ever wrote. That thing sucked so bad, I had to start from scratch. That said, I did still copy a few parts from the original.

Not sure I'd do that again. For me, it comes down to time. I prefer to work the editing/revision process in the original MS (so easy with MS Word and other software). Not like in the old days where you had to retype the whole damn thing! Another perk to being alive in the 2000's.