• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Creating a Comfortable & Productive Writing Environment: Why It Matters

Dianee

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,
I was wondering if any of you are coping with back and/or neck pain while writing and if you have any suggestions?

Recently, I bought a wobble cushion, which is helping, but would love more ideas!

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
This is really not a Basic Writing Question; and it's awfully close to asking for medical advice.

I'll see if there's a mod willing to host a more general question about avoiding physical stress and pain while writing.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
We can't all have our ideal writing environment but there are things we can do to be more comfortable, healthy, and productive in our own writing spaces. If we aren't comfortable, we can sometimes be too other-focused, stressed, or in pain to be able to concentrate on the words we need and to be as productive as we'd like to be with our writing time. Certain adjustments may be needed to room temperature, the ergonomics of our immediate writing area—a chair with good lumbar support and arranging our workspace so that our tools are within comfortable reach—adjusting lighting to cut down on eyestrain, and even to making sure to wear loose comfortable clothing. We all have creative tricks for making the best of our writing spaces and our surroundings and how we made what we do have work for us instead of against us. This is the place to share those tricks, techniques, and suggestions with each other.

Dianee

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I'm sorry, I'm not asking for medial advice. Just thought others may have found tricks that have helped.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
I have arthritis in my spine. For a time I pretty much doing anything hurt - sitting, standing, lying down. I saw doctors and they were talking about a lumbar disc being a problem maybe, but oh you can have bulging discs and not have pain blah blah. It took me 5 years to before any medical professional told me I had arthritis in my spine. I've been doing exercise. Lots and lots of exercise. I'm at a point now - if I let up, I won't get up...

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
My sympathies, Layla. Exercise is incredibly important because we aren't really designed to spend as much time on our butts as we do these days; it wreaks havoc on the chassis. What adjustments have you had to make in your writing space?

Until last year, I had a favorite upholstered office chair I just didn't want to give up 'til it turned on me. After so many years of daily use, the seat had compressed and started to "cup" so that the lumbar support was no longer in the right place and I couldn't stay seated long enough to really "get into" my work (I was constantly shifting to get comfortable). So I gritted my teeth and started the search. I knew I wanted built-in lumbar support and a chair back curved back just enough to support my shoulders and upper back, but I was also worried about the cost. I was fortunate to find an amazingly comfortable chair with everything I needed plus it has adjustable tilt tension that allows me to adjust the resistance to suit my movements and weight. And the best part is that it was about 40 bucks less than I had budgeted.

If you can't stand up to write (sorry, Papa, can't do it) or write while reclining (how'd the heck did you do that, Mr. Twain?), a really good quality chair is a necessity.

I've made adjustments to the height of my keyboard to help my posture while seated, too.

Eyestrain is a killer, as well. Does anyone have a blue light filter and, if so, how's it working for you?

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Eyestrain is a killer, as well. Does anyone have a blue light filter and, if so, how's it working for you?

I don't have a separate blue light filter, but I recently got something Costco calls "office glasses" and they make a huge difference.

Back pain--I've got nerve, spine, and hip issues. What helps me is regular (slow, gentle) yoga, and when I'm writing, I get up frequently to stretch, walk, whatever.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
First, don't write for long periods of time without getting up and moving around. At least every 90 minutes, take a ten minute break that involves standing up and moving. Get up and stretch, do some light housekeeping, drink some water. But move.

Don't stare at the screen for several minutes at a time. Look away on a regular basis. Have a window, or photos, or something on the wall, and occasionally focus your eyes on something else.

Second, pay attention to your space; heights of desks, chairs, where your keyboard is, and your display position or writing tablet. Ergonomics for writers are very important.

EvilPenguin

Registered
Reaction score
Second, pay attention to your space; heights of desks, chairs, where your keyboard is, and your display position or writing tablet. Ergonomics for writers are very important.

Reading this article made me realize that I am literally doing everything wrong. I tend to write in a dark room, with only the light from my computer screen on. I've always known this was bad for my eyes, but I get so distracted by everything in my office that I don't want to look away from my computer screen and focus on something else. (I have a lot of painting supplies and comic books and stuff in my office and if I see any of those things while I'm writing, I tend to want to think about doing something else...)

I also have a horrible computer chair. It's a cheap Wal-mart office chair with zero lumbar support. And I really can't stand to sit in it for more than an hour or so and most of that time is not comfortable. My desk is also way too tall for a natural sitting position.

Ugh... I really should work on fixing some of these things so I don't cause more permanent damage to my poor body.

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
I don't have a separate blue light filter, but I recently got something Costco calls "office glasses" and they make a huge difference.

Back pain--I've got nerve, spine, and hip issues. What helps me is regular (slow, gentle) yoga, and when I'm writing, I get up frequently to stretch, walk, whatever.

Add hands and knees and we could be the same person. It's good to know those glasses do make a difference; I had thought about looking into them last year after the blue light filter I bought didn't really cut it and that was likely because 40 years of staring at computer screens had already done their "thing". But I discovered Windows 10 (which I'm not overly fond of otherwise) has a nightlight feature that lets me adjust the amber setting to my own comfort level (highish) which reduces eyestrain tremendously.

First, don't write for long periods of time without getting up and moving around. At least every 90 minutes, take a ten minute break that involves standing up and moving. Get up and stretch, do some light housekeeping, drink some water. But move.

Don't stare at the screen for several minutes at a time. Look away on a regular basis. Have a window, or photos, or something on the wall, and occasionally focus your eyes on something else.

Ergonomics is hugely important. When you think about how much time we spend at our desks (on our butts), on our work computers, and on our personal devices—well, the damage adds up over time.

These are great tips and we should consider the article in Lisa's link our own personal required reading. The more steps you take to improve your working conditions now will pay off in greater comfort and productivity.

Note: The reason I took on this thread in OWB is simply this: I've noticed how many times folks have equated distraction with writer's block; it isn't writer's block but it's a contributor and one we might not be conscious of. Our brains are focused on the stress and discomfort and are sending us signals through our inability to focus on our writing that we need to make changes. It's the reason I suggest to other block sufferers that they might want to stop and try to figure out why they're blocked.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Add hands and knees and we could be the same person. :ROFL: t's good to know those glasses do make a difference; I had thought about looking into them last year after the blue light filter I bought didn't really cut it and that was likely because 40 years of staring at computer screens had already done their "thing". But I discovered Windows 10 (which I'm not overly fond of otherwise) has a nightlight feature that lets me adjust the amber setting to my own comfort level (highish) which reduces eyestrain tremendously.

For me it isn't just the filter, it's having a pretty much full field of vision at the rx I need for reading (I'm extremely nearsighted, add in the problems with close distance now because of age, blah), which not only helps my eyes, but in turn helps the way I'm positioned.

Ergonomics is hugely important. When you think about how much time we spend at our desks (on our butts), on our work computers, and on our personal devices—well, the damage adds up over time.

These are great tips and we should consider the article in Lisa's link our own personal required reading. The more steps you take to improve your working conditions now will pay off in greater comfort and productivity.

Note: The reason I took on this thread in OWB is simply this: I've noticed how many times folks have equated distraction with writer's block; it isn't writer's block but it's a contributor and one we might not be conscious of. Our brains are focused on the stress and discomfort and are sending us signals through our inability to focus on our writing that we need to make changes. It's the reason I suggest to other block sufferers that they might want to stop and try to figure out why they're blocked.

Physical discomfort won't cause a block for me, but it can bring it on faster/make it last longer.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Add hands and knees and we could be the same person. It's good to know those glasses do make a difference; I had thought about looking into them last year after the blue light filter I bought didn't really cut it and that was likely because 40 years of staring at computer screens had already done their "thing".

Wirecutter has a good piece on blue light glasses.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score

This is close to the model I use, but mine just has a horizontal bar that has two screws on each side going into (to clip on top of my eye glasses): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073X4YTBV/?tag=absowrit-20

Pro: It works. I can work SOOOO much longer at the computer without eye fatigue.

Con: You need a micro-screwdriver. After time, mine started cracking around the screws on one of the blue blocker lenses. I have to re-tighten it every other day. I will, likely, have to buy a new pair soon. The crack is getting larger.

Con: If you look at the Amazon link I posted, it is blue. When I wear the blue blockers, I cannot see the blue; it looks like all other text. I already had a mishap of asking for a source to a thread AW Admin posted, but I couldn't see there was an active link because of it. You'll need to find a way to manage this issue.

Last edited:

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
There's an app called f.lux, which I use on my Mac. I'm not sure of its total compatibility range. Anyway, you plug in your time zone and the hours you keep, and it starts stripping and filtering the blue light from your screen as the sun sets and bedtime approaches. If you use the computer in the middle of the night it will be a very dim, very yellow screen. I started using it so I could write right before bed and not have blue-light insomnia.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been suggested, but vary your writing spot. I have a few: Sitting at the dining room table, standing at the pub-height table, relaxing on the sofa, and laying on my stomach on floor or bed (this for stints of longhand, not laptop, to get past block.)

I have a knot that starts in my shoulder if I am too long in one spot, and this rotation approach seems to help. Especially the lying on stomach/longhand in a notebook. I always benefit from that physically and word-wise.

Good luck.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I tend to write in a dark room, with only the light from my computer screen on. I've always known this was bad for my eyes, but I get so distracted by everything in my office that I don't want to look away from my computer screen and focus on something else.
You don't have to look at stuff, just away from the screen. It's the contrast between the dark room, and the bright screen that's the big problem. At least keep all the room lights on, and see if there's some way to put a light coloured panel behind the screen - even light-coloured curtains, or perhaps curtains in front of those tempting shelves?

My desk is also way too tall for a natural sitting position.
When you get a new chair, double check as to how adjustable the height is. If nothing else, if you check out office supply places, some of them have blocks you can put under the legs of your chair to raise them. (No help at all if the chair is wheeled.)

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Until last year, I had a favorite upholstered office chair I just didn't want to give up 'til it turned on me. After so many years of daily use, the seat had compressed and started to "cup" so that the lumbar support was no longer in the right place and I couldn't stay seated long enough to really "get into" my work (I was constantly shifting to get comfortable).
Glad you found a substitute! For anyone else in the same boat - a chair that works well for you, but the stuffing or cover is giving out - try a re-upholstery place. If they can make an old couch or recliner look like new, I'd assume they can work their magic on any chair. Just let them know what it was like originally, where the support was, etc. No idea what the cost would be, but if the chair is otherwise a good fit for you...?

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
I use f.lux and have a Varidesk, which allows me to switch between sitting and standing throughout the day. I also write on my laptop on the sofa sometimes. Every morning I have to do some gentle yoga and keep stretching and moving throughout the day.

Dictation is another great option to get you away from the desk, but it's not for everyone.

Updown

Registered
Reaction score
This used to happen to me pretty often, I try to set a reminder to get up and have (even if its really brief) walk around the apartment for a few minutes. Sometimes this isn't enough, but it's something.

However if you're really in the zone, it is so easy to look up and realise three hours or more have passed, thus the need for reminders. I hope you find a solution, OP!

Ztwist

Registered
Reaction score
I read about Anna Burns--Booker prize winner for Milkman--having terrible back pain and being unable to write for long periods. I just wanted to mention that you are certainly not alone. An adjustable chair is really important. Personally, I have only tiny problems, but I need to be careful and stop hauling my increasing heavy kids around and maybe rotate my mattress so I don't wake up already aching.