Where to Send a 5k-word Deeply Personal Essay?

Vic20

The Friendly Computer
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all. A friend of mine has written a deeply personal 5,000-word essay about living as a thirty-something parent with memories of childhood sexual abuse. The piece is witty and intelligent, written in a strong but vulnerable feminist voice, and it utterly broke my heart. I'm trying to encourage my friend to submit it somewhere, but as a writer primarily of fiction, I don't know where a piece like this would fit.

Any suggestions?

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It so happens I have just subscribed to a thing called Memoir Monday, an emailed weekly essay, and their blurb reads:

A weekly newsletter and monthly reading series co-curated by Narratively, Catapult, Granta, Guernica, The Rumpus, Longreads and Tin House. We've brought together the heavy-hitters of online memoir to provide the very best new first-person writing all in one place, so you'll always be well-read and in the know.

So I would suggest your friend (and you?) check out those publications and read a bit and see if you think friend's piece would be a fit.

Vic20

The Friendly Computer
Registered
Reaction score
Great idea, Kylabelle! Thank you very much. This was exactly the type of idea I was seeking!

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck to your friend!

nadja1972

on submission
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrisandberg.com
I would definitely recommend she submit to Longreads - good quality writing and they're not afraid of a 5,000-word piece.

onceuponatime

Learning and growing
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so glad you've got some great feedback above on places to submit - I appreciate this is long after the fact for OP, but in case anyone else sees this and is looking for advice...

Be careful about the confessional; Slate did a great article called The First-Person Industrial Complex a while back about how (primarily young, enthusiastic, desperate to get the foot in the door) writers share deeply private stories in a bid to get published, only to find that the internet is forever and the mileage for your career is not.

Not a reason not to publish, just a caution and something to think about. It's wonderful to have a piece of yourself that's so personal and you've found a way to express in words that feel right, just make sure that you've taken any steps you need to make you comfortable with sharing it to the general public.

New Pastoralist

Registered
Reaction score
Creative Nonfiction Magazine has a monthly publication, True Story, a 5000 to 10,000 word essay. You might read a couple to see if it's a good fit.