Pirating/Scam alert

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't think this was quite a fit for Bewares & Background checks, and since it pertains mainly to independent publishers I'm posting it here.

Dozens of people in an indie author FB group I'm in have received messages overnight from an "Adriana Lucas" who claims she is trying to download their books for review and is having trouble. They've also said they're seeing this scammer come up a lot in other writers' groups they belong to. I got a scam message from her via my Booksprout ARC this morning. She requests that authors send their MOBI, EPUB and PDF files directly to her email, [email protected]. This would allow her to circumvent the anti-pirating codes that Booksprout and other ARC services add.
Booksprout is now aware of the issue and is investigating.

This scammer also regularly comments on author blogs about "having trouble finding your book" and asks authors to contact her directly. A username she uses on blogs is Lokyygg. Email address is the same.

Here is the message she sent me:

I review books on Amazon and Goodreads. I am having issues accessing your book. I tried 3 times but the booksprout links don't work for me. Kindly email me a review copy of your book. Sorry to bother you. I can read PDF, EPUB and MOBI files. You can also send me the Amazon link of your book and I can buy it directly from there.

Adriana Lucas
[email protected]

I'm sure the offer to "buy directly" is an attempt to add some patina of credibility. (It would be easier to do a search on Amazon than to privately email an author, I'm sure.)

I hope it goes without saying, but never send your defenseless ebook files to a stranger. Has anybody else heard from this scammer?

skunkmelon

Randomly curious
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferponce.com
I just received the exact same email and something about it rang my alarm bells. Thank you for posting here so that I found your comment and saved myself grief.

Her email to me which is, as you can see, exactly the same as yours:

Hello,

I review books on Amazon and Goodreads. I am having issues accessing your book. I tried 3 times but the booksprout links don't work for me. Kindly email me a review copy of your book. Sorry to bother you. I can read PDF, EPUB and MOBI files. You can also send me the Amazon link of your book and I can buy it directly from there.

Adriana Lucas
[email protected]

I politely directed her to Booksprout customer service.

L.C. Blackwell

Keeper of Fort Blanket
Registered
Reaction score
Finding this thread late, but thanks very much for the heads up!

Since you just reminded me, here's one I got from "Anne-Elisa Schaffer."

Dear Ms. Blackwell,

I’m writing from the film/tv rights database for books, Rightscenter, to inquire after the status of dramatic rights to FOR SALE MURDER. Can you please let us know if the film/tv rights are available and if you have an agent or attorney handling them on your behalf that we should note?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Anne-Elisa

The above might have been more impressive if I had actually written a book by that title, or in that (apparent) genre.

J.W. Golan

Registered
Reaction score
I received a similar message from "Adriana Lucas". Came as a Facebook message. Looks like they're still up to their tricks.

blacksummerpress

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing this. Just got one from the same person (slightly different email) today.
Jenny Morgenstern has messaged you regarding the ARC for
If they are having trouble using Booksprout, you may wish to point them toward our help center where they can find the answers to most common questions or forward this email to us at [email protected]. We recommend authors never send files through email. You are welcome to forward this message to our support team for review and assistance.
Hello,

My name is Jenny Morgenstern. I am a book reviewer. I have tried to download your book several times but the links don't seem to work. I also contacted the booksprout team but got no response from them either. I am quite frustrated already. I guess I am better off just buying you book from Amazon. Can you please email me your book's order link? Please note that I am unable to receive gift copies via kindle. Thank you.

Jenny Morgenstern
[email protected]
You may reply directly to this email to respond to them, or reach them at [email protected]

Was warned about scammers. I don't know why booksprout requires us to make the email a

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the bump, blacksummerpress. Looks like a thread that should be bumped on a regular basis. :welcome: