Martial Arts

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
In the UK, anything can be considered a weapon, if it can be proved in court you were carrying the item with the intent of using it against someone. Even carrying it for the purpose of self-defence is not allowed.
That's definitely a different mindset than the US. My Sensei developed a self-defense "Aiki-cane" curriculum (inspired by these guys, and using their canes); one of the primary benefits is that you can take your cane basically anywhere here and nobody will give you a second glance.

BlackKnight1974

Registered
Reaction score
That's definitely a different mindset than the US. My Sensei developed a self-defense "Aiki-cane" curriculum (inspired by these guys, and using their canes); one of the primary benefits is that you can take your cane basically anywhere here and nobody will give you a second glance.

The approach to self-defence in the UK is worlds apart from that of the US and there is certainly no "castle-doctrine". The law states you can do whatever you believe to be proportionate to defend yourself, however you will have to potentially justify it in court.

Culturally, I think the UK is has a completely different mindset to the US on self-defence - and weapons in particular. The carrying of a locking pen knife in a public place is potentially a prison-worthy offence. Likewise, if you are licensed to hold firearms/shotguns, then saying that they you would use them to defend your house from burglars will see you lose them in very short order. If someone broke into your house and you did shoot them, you might be able to justify it - stating it as your intention would land you in trouble.

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
The approach to self-defence in the UK is worlds apart from that of the US and there is certainly no "castle-doctrine". The law states you can do whatever you believe to be proportionate to defend yourself, however you will have to potentially justify it in court.

Culturally, I think the UK is has a completely different mindset to the US on self-defence - and weapons in particular. The carrying of a locking pen knife in a public place is potentially a prison-worthy offence. Likewise, if you are licensed to hold firearms/shotguns, then saying that they you would use them to defend your house from burglars will see you lose them in very short order. If someone broke into your house and you did shoot them, you might be able to justify it - stating it as your intention would land you in trouble.
I feel like these are both extremes... but given my druthers, I'd rather live with some risk of getting in trouble for defending myself, than the proportionally still small - but real - risk of being gunned down by some angry white boy with an AR-15 and a grudge. Sadly, I'm too old now (and not wealthy enough) to be let in to anywhere I could actually see myself living.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I have... feelings about AR-15s, but there are plenty of gun (and gun control) threads elsewhere on AW, so probably best to keep that chat for those and keep this one about martial arts.

Over in my corner of the world, our club has a seminar coming up this weekend, and at training last night sensei suggested to our most recent black belt that he teach a session. I say "suggested", but given sensei had already written up the day schedule and posted it on Facebook, I don't think "no" was an answer! So I spent most of yesterday's session being uke for the black belt so he could work out what he wanted to teach. He was a bit worried about whether the techniques would be "new" enough for the seminar (as in, things people hadn't seen before) - the majority of the confirmed attendees are dan grades from other clubs. In between break falls, I suggested that it wasn't so much about things that were brand new as things that he could do really well, which I hope was helpful. Sensei is always keen for us to find "our" jujutsu - it's not about us rote-copying his techniques, it's about learning how they work and finding out what works for each of us.

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
In between break falls, I suggested that it wasn't so much about things that were brand new as things that he could do really well, which I hope was helpful.

:Thumbs: :Thumbs:

I'd much rather spend an hour practicing the most basic techniques and sharpening myself with someone who's really good at them, than fumbling through something *NEW!!!* just because the instructor thought that's what they had to bring - particularly if they're not solid on it themselves yet.

Sensei is always keen for us to find "our" jujutsu - it's not about us rote-copying his techniques, it's about learning how they work and finding out what works for each of us.
I totally get that. I mean, obviously it does take a few years to get the techniques into your body, but there comes a point in every serious martial artist's career when they start to make it their own, to figure out what makes sense for their body and their approach to life in general. I'm just starting to move into that phase, I think... I expect it to take many years.

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
We did an active shooter training class in the dojo last week then a few days later the two mass shootings happened. :scared:It's good to have some information on that stuff even though I would think it's impossible to fully be trained and prepared for a situation like that. I was happy to hear that a lot of companies and schools (if not all schools) are now going over active shooter drills.

Tonight is our last class with the street clothing for a while. Not sure how often they do it but this is my sixth month of training and so far it's the only time. It's been fun.

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
How much is spirituality a part of your training and if it's not done in class do you do it out of class to compliment your martial arts?

Earlier in the thread we talked a bit about meditation. We begin and end each class with a brief meditation and in class one night it just hit me. I can't explain what it was or how it happened, I just knew something did. I came out of that meditation knowing I could do it and benefit from it. For the last few months I have done short meditations to start and end the day. Plus the ones we do in class.

Right now I am almost finished with Zen in the Martial Arts the most recent book I've read on spirituality. It's a quick read but I am going slow on it, reading one or two chapters a day, just to absorb as much as I can. I'm finding that spirituality is an important part of my martial arts journey. As Sensei tells us, Karate is not about fighting. It's about living.

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Doesn't quite work like that in the UK unfortunately. All it would take would be for the investigating officer to question your medial need for a walking stick and that, coupled with any evidence that you are proficient in a form of stick fighting (not least any footage that shows you know what you are doing), would see you charged with possession of an offensive weapon and probably (depending on how good a job you did) of grievous bodily harm (potentially with intent).

In the UK, anything can be considered a weapon, if it can be proved in court you were carrying the item with the intent of using it against someone. Even carrying it for the purpose of self-defence is not allowed.

Definitely a different approach than what we have here in the USA. Since 9/11 the airport security has been much stricter but I believe you can still bring a cane on board the plane. You can wear a belt on the flight, which could be used as a weapon. I mean, if you think about it almost anything can be used as a weapon.

It varies from state to state but in most US states, if not all, adults can carry a concealed firearm if you have the proper concealed carry weapon (CCW) permit.

Many of the people I have trained with, and all of the instructors I've had, were big firearms supporters. Some have had a CCW. I first learned to shoot because of martial arts. I keep a loaded gun in the house but I'm not much of a gun person myself.

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
That's a very useful thing to know! I suspect the odds of getting mugged in a gi are not great... :)

Right! When I was in TKD I knew a guy who wore his gi to and from class and even would wear it when going out jogging. Most of us just train in it and nothing else. I don't even wear it outside the dojo. However this was the same guy who wore a nut cup everywhere he went. He wouldn't leave the house without wearing a cup because he thought that if he got into a fight someone would try and kick him in the groin and he wanted protection.

It feels a lot different at first to train in jeans and sneakers. We sparred last week in street clothing and I didn't even notice the difference, so in that case it feels the same. When sparring I am so focused that I could be wearing a suit and tie (something I considered doing, you never know when you might get attacked) and I probably wouldn't notice anything different. Doing kicking drills does feel different.

Sensei changed his mind and decided we are going to do one more week of street clothing. :hooray:

BlackKnight1974

Registered
Reaction score
Right! When I was in TKD I knew a guy who wore his gi to and from class and even would wear it when going out jogging. Most of us just train in it and nothing else. I don't even wear it outside the dojo. However this was the same guy who wore a nut cup everywhere he went. He wouldn't leave the house without wearing a cup because he thought that if he got into a fight someone would try and kick him in the groin and he wanted protection.

It feels a lot different at first to train in jeans and sneakers. We sparred last week in street clothing and I didn't even notice the difference, so in that case it feels the same. When sparring I am so focused that I could be wearing a suit and tie (something I considered doing, you never know when you might get attacked) and I probably wouldn't notice anything different. Doing kicking drills does feel different.

Sensei changed his mind and decided we are going to do one more week of street clothing. :hooray:

I used to wear a groin guard when I worked as a bouncer- certainly saved me a couple of times. I also carried an old gum shield just in case, although that saw a lot less action. I haven't worn a Gi since my traditional Karate days (circa '94), so I would imagine that it would feel a bit strange now.

As for spirituality - I don't practice anything specific, however the ability to remain calm and control your emotions under pressure is definitely a useful skill to have. Not only does it mean better decision-making, it will also make it easier to regulate your output and breathing as well as making an adrenaline dump less likely. Awareness of your surroundings is also important - which is another thing that requires a calm mind. Lastly the ability to ignore, cope and continue with injury or damage is something that is not easily practised in an controlled environment, but is invaluable once you have it.

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
>Spirituality

My spirituality is mainly nature-based, and it actually does go with my practice - in no small part because of the location of our dojo. It's a traditional Japanese-style building set just in the edge of some woods, with a course of screening all the way around at about head-height, so we're very intimate with the weather and the changing seasons. There are a couple of large industrial ceiling fans, and removable glass windows we put in when it gets cold, but no other climate control. O-Sensei wrote a fair bit about the relationship between Aikido and nature, and I feel very fortunate to have found such an unusual training environment.
:Sun:

I also have some thoughts that I really ought to write out properly, about how Aikido (and martial arts generally, I suspect, but I can only write what I know...) can actually fulfill a number of quasi-religious functions while still not *being* a religion in any real sense... if I actually get that done, I'll share it here! (I'm thinking it'll be about the length of a blog post)

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I used to wear a groin guard when I worked as a bouncer- certainly saved me a couple of times. I also carried an old gum shield just in case, although that saw a lot less action. I haven't worn a Gi since my traditional Karate days (circa '94), so I would imagine that it would feel a bit strange now.

As for spirituality - I don't practice anything specific, however the ability to remain calm and control your emotions under pressure is definitely a useful skill to have. Not only does it mean better decision-making, it will also make it easier to regulate your output and breathing as well as making an adrenaline dump less likely. Awareness of your surroundings is also important - which is another thing that requires a calm mind. Lastly the ability to ignore, cope and continue with injury or damage is something that is not easily practiced in an controlled environment, but is invaluable once you have it.

If you're working security I can see it.

To me a big part of spirituality and martial arts training is staying calm in pressure situations. When we feel stressed we get angry, anxious, ect, and lose focus. Then everything can feel overwhelming. We don't see the world clearly and we make mistakes we normally wouldn't make. That's one of the key things I have been working on with my meditation, is to channel my anxiety and anger in an effective way so I can keep calm and focus under pressure. It's all part of my goal to be an impeccable zen wizard. :tongue I'd say Karate training has helped me a lot with that and I don't know if I could keep that approach if I left martial arts.

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
>Spirituality

My spirituality is mainly nature-based, and it actually does go with my practice - in no small part because of the location of our dojo. It's a traditional Japanese-style building set just in the edge of some woods, with a course of screening all the way around at about head-height, so we're very intimate with the weather and the changing seasons. There are a couple of large industrial ceiling fans, and removable glass windows we put in when it gets cold, but no other climate control. O-Sensei wrote a fair bit about the relationship between Aikido and nature, and I feel very fortunate to have found such an unusual training environment.
:Sun:

I also have some thoughts that I really ought to write out properly, about how Aikido (and martial arts generally, I suspect, but I can only write what I know...) can actually fulfill a number of quasi-religious functions while still not *being* a religion in any real sense... if I actually get that done, I'll share it here! (I'm thinking it'll be about the length of a blog post)

Wow, that is an unusual dojo. Sounds like a fun experience and the adaptability of the climate could be beneficial.

I look forward to reading your post!

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
Traveling for work this week, hoping to train tonight. It's always fun to visit dojos and broaden my exposure to different approaches to the same basic curriculum!

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
How was it?
It was good. That sensei's personal style is pretty different, so I definitely had to focus harder on doing what I was shown and not just falling into the way I'm familiar with - which is part of the whole point of doing this, of course! I'm home this week and then next week I go to Austin (where I've had the chance to train a couple of times over the last few years).

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wandering back into the thread after a long absence.

Richard White - Nice to see another pointy things aficionado here! I did a few years of Western European swordfighting, among other things.

And you can always find a stick. ;)

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
I bought a copy recently but have not started it yet. Do you think it would be useful for students of other martial arts?
I don't see why not. O-Sensei was a mystic, and a lot of what's in there is philosophical/spiritual thoughts (frequently couched in somewhat flowery prose...), but I expect any martial artist would find it interesting. People who knew and trained with him for years have been known to say they didn't always understand what he was talking about when he put his "mystic hat" on, and I certainly don't claim any kind of deep understanding for myself, but I do find it useful. :)

Last edited:

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I don't see why not. O-Sensei was a mystic, and a lot of what's in there is philosophical/spiritual thoughts (frequently couched in somewhat flowery prose...), but I expect any martial artist would find it interesting. People who knew and trained with him for years have been known to say they didn't always understand what he was talking about when he put his "mystic hat" on, and I certainly don't claim any kind of deep understanding for myself, but I do find it useful. :)

Probably gonna make it my next read. I still got a ways to go on my current book so it might be a little bit yet.

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Good classes this week. We have worked on some ground fighting. It's not something we normally do so it has been nice to get some practice with it.

Shadow555

Registered
Reaction score
After being so many years since I took martial arts back when I was a kid, I finally decided to try it again. I want to hear some opinions on what others think of this.

So I recently joined a kung fu school, which teaches hung gar, wing chun, praying mantis and bagua zhang, which has a very traditional setting like has weapons hanging, the old lion heads and everything. I've been going so far for a month and so far I get to do some stances which I have had some students there try to show me and correct me the proper form which is good. They sometimes do a little exercise warm up drills like some cardio and hitting the pads. And I've been learning the beginning of a form which I've been told to practice over and over again which is fine. But since I've been coming almost everyday the class is available, I seem to be the only beginner there. It's a small studio, so not a lot of students. But everyone there I'm told is advanced so after we do the warm ups or somedays we do warm up stances, then after that everyone goes to their area and does their own thing and train together. They do things like body conditioning drills together, some fight application drills, some other training conditioning drills. I end up being stuck in the corner by myself trying to perfect that beginning portion of the form I was told to work on. I get corrected every now and then.

There's one student who tries to help me there with correcting my stances and forms but since he's more advanced, he returns back to the group to train with them. Sometimes he'd get a little frustrated if I'm not getting the proper stance right like bending my knees the right way, proper clawing with the hands and such. Keep in mind I haven't practiced kung fu or any martial art in a while. There's one female student who actually takes the time to show and correct me the proper stances and forms which I respect. I was told I kind of have to learn these things on my own by others and it's up to me but as the days have gone by I continue to do the same thing while the rest all get to learn some different drills and all kinds of fighting applications. The sifu who's a big and heavy set guy shows up at the end of the night and sits and watches the class and correct them in their techniques but doesn't seem to pay any attention to me or allow me to learn any basic steps like live drills or techniques against another opponent like self defense moves. I completely understand since I'm a beginner and these things take time but I feel like I'm left alone and everyone else gets to work together. When I asked about the techniques he was demonstrating he told me don't worry about that stuff and continue my beginning form in the corner.

It feels like sometimes I don't exist in the class and I'm being ignored because I'm the new guy? Maybe he feels I'm not ready because my form technique is still wrong?

When we do the warm up drills we do these element techniques which is fire, earth, water and metal. For many weeks I try to follow them and can't get it right or keep up at all. I finally say something that I can't do this and one of their students decided to show me a bit. But I'm just not as advanced enough to follow. So their female student who's actually showing me some easy steps like one move at a time and how to step properly first and practice that. So I guess with a little more practice of the foot work a bunch of times hopefully I will get it down pat.

One of the drills we did with the pads like throwing earth and uppercut techniques and crescent kick moves, one of the students holding the pads for me started screaming and yelling after I accidentally missed the pad and hit his forearm. Again I haven't done this in a while and it's my first month in so I'm not used to throwing kicks at pads. He started yelling at me to hit the target and not miss ever again. So he made me feel bad and has been a little hostile towards me ever since. He also yelled and cursed at me that I was holding the pads wrong for the earth and metal elements punching drills.

I hope I'm at the right place, i understand kung fu training takes time and I always wanted to get back into it like I did when I was a kid, but it just doesn't feel like what I expected it to be. I thought there would be more emphasizes on learning self defense and conditioning, yes the forms or conditioning and the warm up drills are great, but that's not going to help me when someone attacks me behind an alley or from an aggressive attacker in a real life scenario. Sifu shows up, tales and corrects anything with the other students. doesn't go over any techniques with me, bows them out and that's it. So far I'm only learning hung gar moves, and very little at the least. they said their school teaches hung gar, praying mantis, wing chun, and bagua zhang moves, yet I'm not allowed to participate in the wing chin class or praying mantis classes because they are too advanced, understandable because they are probably more advanced moves, I just feel like since i'm the only beginner here and everyone else is advanced, I won't be given much teaching in any other steps other than practice the same beginning form, not even practice beginner fighting self defense applications, just stand and work in the air. But I do respect the moves they teach their and it looks amazing to learn, just hope I get to learn them one day and there is no belt system, so I don;t have to worry about any fundings for ranks. I just feel I'm like an outcast in the crowd while they mingle and train together, I'm just there to be there? And that one guy I think is still mad at me for accidentally kicking his forearm and missing the bad.

Is it me or does it sound like something is off? Or is this how the real deal of training is? Because I haven't trained in so long since I was a kid. Am I being scammed? Or maybe I'm just a slow learner and some get impatient with me? how long does it normally take at a school to learn any live drilling applications? Do you have to perfect the forms first before moving on? It's hard for me to get answers when no one seems to really wanna go into it.

Last edited: