Registered
Reaction score
I have here four covers that I'd like narrowed down to two:

book-1-version-01.jpg

book-2-version-01.jpg

Or with subtitle below:

book-1-version-02.jpg

book-2-version-02a.jpg

I'm mostly interested in choosing between the two font arrangements, but if there's any other feedback, I'd love that as well. I need to give Deranged Doctor back the results within a week or so, though.

The only other important thing with these covers is that I'm really trying to give the impression that this is a single story told in two parts. (Part 1 ends in a serious cliffhanger.) I'm going to have something at the end of the blurb for book 1 as well--I suppose I might as well get your thoughts on that while we're here. :)

The story concludes in Snow White and the Civil War, Part II: Plot of Gold.

I don't want to baldly state that Part I ends in a cliffhanger--that just seems to lack finesse. Would the above line do, in concert with the covers?

And I'm going to release both books on the same day.

Thanks so much in advance to everyone who pops in.

Last edited:

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like the subtitle below, too.

Just wondering, though, if you should put the 'Part 1' and 'Part 2' in yellow - just to make it stand out more?

-Riv-

The much appreciated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
book-1-version-02.jpg
book-2-version-02a.jpg

I'm mostly interested in choosing between the two font arrangements, but if there's any other feedback, I'd love that as well. I need to give Deranged Doctor back the results within a week or so, though.
I prefer the subtitle below. I'm wondering if the "Part 1" and "Part 2" could be a bit larger/more prominent. They seem to get lost, at least on images this size. Apart from that, the covers look great, to me, and give the impression that they belong together (but with the color distinctions to help show they are, indeed, two different books).

The only other important thing with these covers is that I'm really trying to give the impression that this is a single story told in two parts. (Part 1 ends in a serious cliffhanger.) I'm going to have something at the end of the blurb for book 1 as well--I suppose I might as well get your thoughts on that while we're here. :)

The story concludes in Snow White and the Civil War, Part II: Plot of Gold.
Works for me. :)

All the best,
Riv

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I prefer the subtitle below. I'm wondering if the "Part 1" and "Part 2" could be a bit larger/more prominent. They seem to get lost, at least on images this size.

I agree with Riv here.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
I vote for the second version. Honestly, I didn't even see the subtitles on the first version until someone pointed it out.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, I still go for the subtitles below. I suppose I expected the font color balance to stay the same—with the subtitles to remain in gold and with the part numbers in gold as well—but this works well, too. They're beautiful covers, Cathleen, and I still love 'em.

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Another vote for the subtitle below, and a vote for liking the covers.

Oh my word, I managed to delete half the paragraph and not notice.

The F blurs into the next letter the way half of it is faint. I wasn't sure it didn't say 'Fittest' or 'Forest'. Obviously fairest makes sense but the point is still that the font is an issue. (A tiny issue.)

Last edited:

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
Wow! Thanks, everyone. I love it when the choice is easy. We might play around with some gold font, and/or I'm thinking the swirls might look nice in gold. :)

ETA: We're probably all overthinking it, though. Supposedly, covers are often split-second decisions. They appeal to the "Ooo, shiny," reactions of your readers, and hitting genre is the most important thing. I don't know if the covers convey noblebright, but I think they at least evoke a classic fantasy vibe, and that should work, too.

DDD did such a good job with these that it has me wondering if I should just get out of their way in the future. I painted the flags on this one, but that was all.

Or maybe turn the whole thing over to them only for future novels? (Collections and novellas sell less.) I really wanted to paint my covers, but these are better than what I could do. Hmmmm...

Last edited:

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
Deranged Doctor Design did the covers, Marissa. :)

Just an FYI for anyone else using an American flag--apparently the American flag should only be shown on the left, or it's considered disrespectful: https://www.va.gov/opa/publications/celebrate/flagdisplay.pdf.

This'll be an easy fix (just reverse the flag image and make sure Union flag's staff is in front). But I thought I'd mention it because you never know if anyone else will have an issue like this, so it's good general knowledge to have. :)

I deliberately painted the US flag on the right, since I've always considered the Union position to be the correct one, but I guess I erred. Just passing it on.