Was this normal for an editor?

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
When I was fifteen, I wanted to get my epic 100k /300 page novel published (bless my heart). My mom had a friend who was an editor. I sent her the first chapter, roughly around 20 pages. It took us six months of emailing before finishing it. By that time I had blown a ton of money on this editor (or at least for a jobless teenager). At the end, it was too much.

My question is...is half a year way too long for only 1/15th of a book? I'll admit my writing wasn't great, but it was serious enough to pay for an editor. Am I supposed to be expecting this for my novel now? I still have a little ways to go on my novel, but I was wondering if I should expect something similar? Because those six months messed with my head, especially since the editor wouldn't tell me what was good or bad about my writing.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I can't say what's normal. I can say it sounds like this is not it. I know there are freelance editors here on AW; I'll let them chime in on how long they think 20 pages ought to take.

Should you ever hire an editor again (and you don't need to do that, especially if you're planning to trade publish), I'd suggest getting a contract up front with both price and timeframe specified.

I'd also suggest finding an editor who'll do a sample for you - two or three pages - so you can see if they're giving you the sort of feedback you need (and so they can make sure they can properly help you).

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Long before you hire an editor you need to revise the work yourself, and use crit partners and/or beta readers.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
Long before you hire an editor you need to revise the work yourself, and use crit partners and/or beta readers.

Yeah, I didn't know much about the publication process when I was a teenager. I know about betas and crtis which will hopefully help me avoid the same mistakes I made in the past.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
I can't say what's normal. I can say it sounds like this is not it. I know there are freelance editors here on AW; I'll let them chime in on how long they think 20 pages ought to take.

Should you ever hire an editor again (and you don't need to do that, especially if you're planning to trade publish), I'd suggest getting a contract up front with both price and timeframe specified.

I'd also suggest finding an editor who'll do a sample for you - two or three pages - so you can see if they're giving you the sort of feedback you need (and so they can make sure they can properly help you).

Good ideas. Thank you.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
When I was fifteen, I wanted to get my epic 100k /300 page novel published (bless my heart). My mom had a friend who was an editor. I sent her the first chapter, roughly around 20 pages. It took us six months of emailing before finishing it. By that time I had blown a ton of money on this editor (or at least for a jobless teenager). At the end, it was too much.

My question is...is half a year way too long for only 1/15th of a book? I'll admit my writing wasn't great, but it was serious enough to pay for an editor. Am I supposed to be expecting this for my novel now? I still have a little ways to go on my novel, but I was wondering if I should expect something similar? Because those six months messed with my head, especially since the editor wouldn't tell me what was good or bad about my writing.

It's hard to say, as I don't know what was going on w/re revisions, how long it took you to implement changes, what level of changes were needed, what kinds of editing you're talking about, etc.

In general, before you hire an editor, it's best to be clear about expectations on both sides. Many people will look at a small excerpt (1,000 words or something) and give you a sample edit, or some ideas of what they'd say, so you can both see if you feel you'd be a good fit, feedback-wise. You should also discuss timelines and cost for first, second, etc., passes. Even if someone can't give you an exact date, it's reasonable to get a window (within X weeks/by this date) you'll have stuff back.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
In general, before you hire an editor, it's best to be clear about expectations on both sides. Many people will look at a small excerpt (1,000 words or something) and give you a sample edit, or some ideas of what they'd say, so you can both see if you feel you'd be a good fit, feedback-wise. You should also discuss timelines and cost for first, second, etc., passes. Even if someone can't give you an exact date, it's reasonable to get a window (within X weeks/by this date) you'll have stuff back.

That's probably where I went wrong. She basically said send the first chapter. So I did. I should have learned more about the process. When I was writing it, I didn't know what queries or agents or publishing was really about.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
That editor is an idiot and has no problem taking financial advantage of an inexperienced writer. Should be ashamed of themselves.

The LAST person you hire before indie publishing is an editor, because you'll likely have to do several reqrites and pay the editor all over again for proofing.

Some editors will provide feedback for a fee or you look for a feedback exchange with another writer. Then you do more revisions.

I can state that taking such a horrible long time over 20 pages is NOT normal. If your book was ready for a real line edit, that person should have let you know after the first reading. If your book needed a rewrite, that person should have let you know right away. An editor with any experience and scruples will--or should--turn down a book that isn't ready. Sadly, a lot of them just take the work and the money, and I suppose they excuse it with "the customer is always right" trope.

I have edited much longer works than yours in less than a month, averaging 20-30 pages a day depending how much has to be done. Payment was half down, half on completion. Paying everything up front is an invitation for an editor to drag their heels.

I am so sorry you dealt with this asshat. They took advantage and that is inexcusable.

If you are still interested in getting feedback, PM me and I'll recommend someone with reasonable rates who will tell you the truth. If she thinks a book needs more work instead of an edit, she'll turn down the job.

David Odle

Chasing the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.davidodle.com
Clearly, I don't know the circumstances, but speaking in generalities, nope, it shouldn't take that long at all. Copy-edits don't typically take as long as development edits, but if you're dealing with an experienced editor, they'll give you their timelines. A good editor is seldom sitting around waiting for someone to send them stuff, so be prepared to wait in line and be sure you know how long that wait is.

A good approach is to try a short story first to test the waters. You need to ensure you can work together. That's very important. Different editors have different styles. You want to find one that brings out the best in you.