Howdy, folks!

Vatnip

Registered
Reaction score
I finally joined, after reading the forums for ages and ages. It appears to be very useful, a great resource.

About me and my writing, I have been sitting on a book for over a year. I polished and polished until I got it as good as I could make it (without guidance, that is). I then sent off about 15 queries at the end of last Summer, got a few rejections. Being quite busy I just didn't have the proper time to devote to "selling" the book, but I have to say that some of the rejections were seriously disheartening. Not that there were negative comments about the book, but rather the sheer numbers.

I had one agency tell me something along the lines of "we apologise for the lack of personal response, but bear in mind that we get over 300 submissions a week". Taking that number at face value, and imagining how tiny the sliver of chance is for my book in amongst them, I was suddenly thinking of "lotteries". If I were ploughing through book number 248 on a Thursday, would I even be able to recall book 125 on Tuesday? If a phone rang while I was rushing through book 100, would I have given the work due consideration? A real crap-shoot. One of the other rejections I received then upped the ante, explaining that they receive up to 600 a week, the nail in the coffin, so to speak, for my then attempts.

So, I'm going to give it another bash, and might find a little inspiration from the forums here :) On the upside, I have a completed book already, and quite well polished as I said. Doesn't mean its the best it can be, but it would be a real shame to just throw it in a corner somewhere and forget about it.

So, that sounds kinda negative for an introduction! But onwards and upwards :)

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Vatnip

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for that, I'll try to be as useful as possible to others and actually make a contribution to the forums. Heres hoping I pick up a few things along the way too :)

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. Glad you are not giving up. Congrats on finishing your book and getting as far as you did. Good luck!

Vatnip

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, I appreciate it. Yeah it was a great feeling to have finally "finished" the book. I think I may have overshot things a little by delving into submissions straight away (all with the due care for query construction of course). Maybe a break is necessary sometimes, time to jump back in again :)

Greyburne

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Vatnip, I'm a few steps behind you in the process. Spent the last week melting my eyes in the archives at Query Shark. Found this forum through a blog post by Delilah S. Dawson at Chuck Wendig's site about the publishing process. Step 13--which I haven't quite got to yet--is "DON’T LET QUERYING MAKE YOU CRAZY. BECAUSE IT WILL." Sounds like it's not unreasonable to reach out to 60+ agents before you maybe get a yes. Basically it's like job hunting these days. Expect to fail for a few months at least, but keep at it. Easier said than done, eh?

Vatnip

Registered
Reaction score
Oh for sure, it certainly seems like querying is the kind of thing that could drive you up the wall. Im saying this as someone who only dipped a toe into it. I had a quick look at the query shark you mentioned, will definitely have a better browse later, looks good :)

CameronJohnston

Great Old One
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronjohnston.net
Welcome to AW and well done on getting your book finished :) That's a huge thing!
Querying agencies is an exercise in patience and frustration :\ All you an do is keep on subbing and work on the next thing. I hope you get some bites soon!

KMKelleher

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome aboard! I do hope you will find inspiration (or at very least commiseration) here. It's impressive that you've taken even the first steps to getting published. Putting yourself out there is always tough. Good on you and keep it up.