Comp titles question

Gibby

Registered
Reaction score
My basic question is:

Is it okay to use comp titles older than the 5-year rule (though not too much) so long as they are tailored to the specific person being queried?
Or is there just never an exception to that rule?

In my case, I'm hoping to query a small press directly that deals in weirdly-formatted books, with my hybrid novel. In my comps, I'd reference 2 of the titles that they published previously. "It has a similar sense of farce as A and a focus on ephemera imagery like book B" I'm hoping the age of the books could be overlooked – comps for hybrid novels aren't all that easy to come by. And I'm also hoping that it shows that I've done my diligence and have really looked at their previous work (and could hopefully fit well into their roster).

No?

Thanks for any and all information! Please feel free to tell me if I'm out in left field.

D.L. Shepherd

Revising, revising, revising...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
Hopefully someone else will chime in, but my gut says in this situation it would be just fine. As you said, it's tailored to this specific publisher, and using books from their house.

Gibby

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for taking a stab, I'd take a gut reaction any day of the week. I realize it's an odd situation. I guessed that if there were any bits of good advice to be had – they'd come from here.
Thanks again!

famousfannie

Registered
Reaction score
With my last novel, the agent who repped it used a book from the 1940s as the only comp title when she sent it out on submission (it was set in modern times). Hope this helps