Paranormal romance that does things the other way around?

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
I feel weird being here, as the romance genre really isn't my thing. At all. But I find I have an odd itch, and so I just wanted to ask.

I have developed a certain antipathy for the urban fantasy genre, because for years it was just about the only fantasy my local bookstore would stock, and almost all of it was in the paranormal romance subgenre. The sort about a female magic user of some stripe, being stalked by either a menagerie of various supernatural hunks, or just the one smarmy vampire bad boy.

Not exactly my thing. (And sorry if I'm being too negative.)

But I suddenly started thinking; is there something out there that reverses the gender roles in the typical UF setup? A normal-ish human male who falls in love with a supernatural woman? I think some interesting character stuff could be woven out of Mr. Mortal dealing with his attraction to a vampire/whatever, and with having a girlfriend that is way more powerful than him.

Just a thought.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
I don't see how it would really change the story except maybe the target audience. I've read plenty of books that do this. Average human male finds mysterious girl with mysterious powers. It works for me.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Romance more typically has a female POV or a divided one. Having the supernatural being be POV would be a more unusual option, regardless of gender. Wanting the super-sexy monster lover is an obvious wish-fulfillment angle. But what's in it for the monster? Inquiring minds want to know.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Think of the Little Mermaid, only this time she gets the Prince (or the Sailor) instead of conveniently vanishing. Or, the Selkie stories, only this time she isn't a victim. Go for it.

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
Well as we all know, the true monster is man, so maybe the monsters find us just as dangerous and alluring?

Hey, there's a story seed. In most settings vampires and other monsteroids collectively hide from humanity, because, let's face it, if they were revealed we'd probably wipe them out. So actually dating a human and revealing the big secret to one would be a hugely dangerous, nerve-wracking experience.

Hmm...

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, there's a story seed. In most settings vampires and other monsteroids collectively hide from humanity, because, let's face it, if they were revealed we'd probably wipe them out. So actually dating a human and revealing the big secret to one would be a hugely dangerous, nerve-wracking experience.

Hmm...
Yeah. So your were-girlfriend occasionally becomes a ravenous beast. Big deal. A net benefit, even. What's lycanthropy, the need for human blood, or the occasional urge to lure human men to their deaths with your siren song, compared to, I dunno, genocide? I've never heard of a vampire genocide.

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
I've never heard of a vampire genocide.

Underworld 4 does it. Vampires and werewolves get exposed, and the human race goes on a collective killing spree. Turns out super strength and cool longcoats aren't much of a match for organised kill teams and helicopters.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
It was a theme throughout Buffy the Vampire Slayer. She's a powerful super-heroine, and the mortal guys she dated weren't always able to deal.

Similar stuff for Willow the Witch, though for a few seasons she dated a werewolf.

The theme works in real life where a strong, independent, confident woman intimidates most men. Sadly, many can't handle it. I dated this guy in college and after I beat him at bowling by 50 points, he stopped calling. :D

Last edited:

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
Battle Angel Alita has a core concept of normal man / robot-monster woman or whatever. I hope we see more of them, I love the trope.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Underworld 4 does it. Vampires and werewolves get exposed, and the human race goes on a collective killing spree. Turns out super strength and cool longcoats aren't much of a match for organised kill teams and helicopters.
Yeah, there's the thing. It's the humans doing the genocide, not the monsters. Makes U think.

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
But I suddenly started thinking; is there something out there that reverses the gender roles in the typical UF setup? A normal-ish human male who falls in love with a supernatural woman? I think some interesting character stuff could be woven out of Mr. Mortal dealing with his attraction to a vampire/whatever, and with having a girlfriend that is way more powerful than him.

Normal guy + supernatural/monster girl seems to be pretty common in anime/manga.

Last edited:

KBooks

Registered
Reaction score
Some of Kristen Painter's Nocturne Falls books have a human guy and a supernatural girl. There's definitely that sort of stuff out there.