Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
That reminds me very much of the Victoria Bitters | Amy Player | Jordan Wood | Andy Blake scam saga and the Ms.Scribe saga, with the layers of lies, scams, exploitation and mysteriously non-terminal terminal diseases.

Last edited:

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
Well... that was excellently researched and completely terrifying.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
A well-researched and fascinating article. The story reminds me of Catch Me, If You Can combined with "will the real X please stand up".

I've met a pathological liar or two but neither were this clever: one was delusional and the other narcissistic (to the point of being suspected of having NPD). However, both were easy to see through.

The focus in the article, however, has made a career out of lying and deception. A true conman. While I see how creepy and terrifying this is, the descriptions and revelations of this person are a study in characterisation. Antagonist, protagonist, hero, and villain, all wrapped in one. An absolutely fascinating and successful combination.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This story was at once fascinating and repelling to me. The guy clearly got away with what he could, because he could... his previous lies led to success, so he continued to manipulate and lie. As to why chose to lie, and leave obvious clues that he's lying (the fascination with Mr. Ripley, the Munchausen's PhD that never was) well, he enjoyed lying. He enjoyed putting one over the clueless masses. I won't say he's a psychopath, but his behavior certainly is. He had all the advantages in the world, yet chose to take the extra step(s) that let him pull ahead a little further.

It also seems he thought no one recognized him for what he was. I think a lot of people were suspicious. From the article in New Yorker friends and colleagues did, they just didn't know what to do about it. How do you walk up to a co-worker and say "You're a complete and utter liar?" There is no good way. How do you tell his superior that? "So-and-so's brother is actually alive. Here's his address in New York." What would the boss think of you? What would the boss do about him? Adults should not have to be accused of blatantly lying like toddlers and assuming other adults are stupid enough to believe their lies. (Sounds like a certain president, no?)

And the thing is, it's so easy even for average people to dig up what's true what isn't. Calls to a university, address traces, social media connections. It can take a few days, working full time, but it can be done.

I don't believe this guy for a minute that BPD is to blame for his shenanigans. It's another lie.