I feel like a failure

Eluveitie

Registered
Reaction score
After receiving an influx of agent requests and several offers, I thought that this would be the book that propelled me into success. Now, seven months on submission, and I feel like a complete failure. We've only had rejections so far, and I feel like I've let my agent down. I don't know what to do, and I'm miserable whenever I think of my book on submission. This book was so meaningful and personal to me, compared to the other manuscripts I've written, and I feel like if it doesn't get published, I'll be ruined. I just feel cursed.

Atlantic12

Registered
Reaction score
YOU ARE NOT A FAILURE.

You are brave.

You are out there taking risks instead of keeping your story hidden away. It's so hard to open yourself to the realities of publishing. It's terrifying! And you're doing it.

Others have found a home for their books after 7 months. It is possible, but I can totally understand how hard it is to keep your hopes up in the face of such discouragement.

Brownies and rum are all I can offer. And a virtual hug.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
First: What Atlantic12 said. You are amazing. Be proud of your book, and what you've accomplished.

Second: Although I can't tell you what'll happen to this particular book, I can tell you I personally know someone who had an agented book get dozens of rejections before it found a home. It did quite well - well enough that this author sold their next book to a bigger publisher. I've also heard of many people who were on sub for over a year and eventually sold.

I have hope for you. But please know you're not a failure, no matter what happens. Most writing careers are wildly non-linear - you may be down one day, but that says nothing about what'll happen the next. Be kind to yourself.

MindfulInquirer

Registered
Reaction score
I've recently experienced complete and utter despair over a project, and on the very same day, later at night, a replenished sense of confidence and hunger because of just a little bit of encouragement. It takes hard work to the point of sometimes not even remembering why you're doing it, and the negative can pour in seemingly forever, but eventually all it takes is a little bit of positive feedback and you've found that sense of purpose again. You can't be a failure if you try hard. Keep at it, give it a little bit more time.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Seven months isn't that long. You still have time. Hopefully your agent will keep submitting and trying.

Niiicola

Twitchy
Registered
Reaction score
This is a very normal thing to happen with a first book on sub, but it doesn't make it any easier. Sending you hugs. You aren't letting your agent down -- they are investing in you and your career for the long term and they wouldn't waste their time if they didn't think you were good enough to sell. Hang in there, and come vent with us in the Next Circle of Hell thread.

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
Oh my goodness, I feel for you. I'm sorry it's the book of your heart, too.

Something I've been clinging to lately is, life isn't a perfect trajectory. Things don't keep getting better and better or worse and worse. There's always ups and downs. You've had an up and you're on a down. There will be more of both. This doesn't make you a failure. I promise.

:Hug2:

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
Several people on this forum who have gone on to sell a book (including me) have bombed out in submission on a previous manuscript.

Apparently the success rate is less than 50%

CameronJohnston

Great Old One
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronjohnston.net
You are not a failure! It's a huge accomplishment to finish and polish a novel, never mind anything else. I've known plenty of other people that had their book picked up closer to a year on submission so there is still hope. I've also known people who had no luck and decided to self publish (but they did it rights, with a good cover and editing) and it found its market and audience, some of them in a big way. Publishers and their marketing departments are not always right.

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
Your agent knows that taking on any author is a risk, and that sales are guaranteed, so don't worry about letting your agent down - it is part of the business. As others have already said, you are not a failure - things not working out on sub is all to common. However - the next book you write could be the one, and it might even open the door for this book. You never know. I sympathise with how you're feeling and you are in good company - come along and join the Next Circle of Hell thread, where there are many people who've gone through the same experience.

mf1438

Registered
Reaction score
Website
markfleshman.com
Rejection happens at any age. What makes it harder for us now is that maybe we don’t, deep down, feel desirable. That’s up to us to change, not up to our readers. Easier said than done, but we’ve got to try.