Online Publishing Resume

Status
Not open for further replies.

charles19

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone:

I just launched a website that is partly an online publishing resume, and partly a showcase of my magazine articles for interested readers. Initially, I wanted to get some publishing experience before circulating my book to publishers. Now, publishing articles has taken a life of its own so I decided to dedicate a website to it. I was wondering what fellow writers thought of using this as an online resume when approaching potential agents or publishers? I think I can promote my book as well in such a website, and that having the site link in future articles may also attract interest.

The site is located here:
http://www.lightfigures.com

Thanks,

-Charles

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone:

I just launched a website that is partly an online publishing resume, and partly a showcase of my magazine articles for interested readers. Initially, I wanted to get some publishing experience before circulating my book to publishers. Now, publishing articles has taken a life of its own so I decided to dedicate a website to it. I was wondering what fellow writers thought of using this as an online resume when approaching potential agents or publishers? I think I can promote my book as well in such a website, and that having the site link in future articles may also attract interest.

The site is located here:
http://www.lightfigures.com

Thanks,

-Charles

How could you promote a book that hasn't been published?

As to an online resume for agents, I don't think it's particularly useful. They're interested in what you're pitching, and you can just have your most prestigious things noted in the query. I mean some agents might click to see, but most people are wary of links, and for the most part, it's irrelevant if you're trying to generate interest in them picking up your book (unless your book has some specific area of expertise that you've written extensively/have qualifications in -- especially if you're pitching nonfic. Fiction, for the most part, your resume is irrelevant [save a robust or totally terrible and extensive publishing history in the area].)

charles19

Registered
Reaction score
The book itself is nonfiction and does require a certain area of expertise, which the articles speak to.

Greyburne

Registered
Reaction score
Charles, based on the limited amount I've read, I have to agree with Cornflake. The impression I've gotten regarding agents' opinions of resumes is: "That's nice, but is what you're sending me any good?" Even things like contest victories and awards, the response seems to be pretty much to ignore it and focus on the pitch for the book you're interested in getting published.

charles19

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for your insight. I will definitely take that into account. I am working on the pitch now. I will maybe show it on one of these forums to get comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.