mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2:
In the coldest February, as in every other month in every other year,
the best thing to hold on to in this world is each other.
- Linda Ellerbee

Hello, everyone, and welcome to the February version of our monthly goals thread!

For those new to the thread, many of us participate in the annual NaNoWriMo festivities as well as the twice-yearly Camp NaNo - but that's not a prerequisite to join in. All are welcome to state their goals for the month: writing goals, reading goals, personal goals of all kinds. The writer's road can be a lonely one, but we're here to encourage, commiserate and cheer.

I'll start us off with my goals. I had a very successful January (after months of falling short) by making my goals small daily/weekly bites instead of giant over-arching ones. I'm feeling pretty good about that and will continue the pattern in February. My first two goals are unresolved ones from last month - the ball in each case is in others' courts at present, but I'm hoping there'll be some action soon so I can move forward on getting my series back out in circulation.

I'm doing a little something extra this month: participating in InCoWriMo, something that our fearless AW Admin started a thread about. Thanks to social media, it's easy to blast our thoughts and opinions out to the world at large, but making one-on-one, personal contact seems to be a dying art. I'd like to get more of that going from my end, at least - plus I think it'll be fun.

How about you? What are your plans for February?

[ ] Decide what to do with the first four novels of my series (depending on what happens with agent submissions from last month)
[ ] Crowbar final royalty payment from 2018 from my deadbeat publisher
[ ] Write 100 words a day
[ ] Week One
[ ] Week Two
[ ] Week Three
[ ] Week Four
[ ] Week Five
[ ] Read three books
[ ] Continue reading one short story a week
[ ] Get 30 minutes of exercise every day
[ ] Week One
[ ] Week Two
[ ] Week Three
[ ] Week Four
[ ] Week Five
[ ] Hand-write and mail 1 postcard/note/letter per day, as part of InCoWriMo (if any of you would like to be a recipient, PM me with your address)
[ ] Week One
[ ] Week Two
[ ] Week Three
[ ] Week Four
[ ] Week Five

Last edited:

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
My goals... (isn't it still january tho? Don't I still have a day to finish last month's goals??? :roll: No?)

[ ] Write two chapters per week on book two, with a 'two chapter forgiveness' for the month
[ ] Week One
[ ] Week Two
[ ] Week Three
[ ] Week Four​

[ ] Re-start querying in or before week ~3

[ ] Exercise five times per week :)
[ ] Week One
[ ] Week Two
[ ] Week Three
[ ] Week Four​

[ ] Try this incowrimo thing I heard about!

[ ] Apply to Clarion? I keep waffling on this.

Last edited:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Yay!

Gonna sit out InCoWriMo for legibility reasons, though it's a wonderful idea (and I know a lot of the young zine kids who do things like this, some of the presentation they put into it is spectacular).

Umm...

[ ] Finish first draft of my Sisyphus. Hopefully finish the whole thing, which mean finish the second draft and edit too, but we'll see.
[ ] Make a few maps for my video game. Backburner.
[ ] Read two middle-grade novels. Been so bad at reading anything lately.
[ ] Try some Javascript lessons.

How's everyone been? :)

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yay!

Gonna sit out InCoWriMo for legibility reasons, though it's a wonderful idea (and I know a lot of the young zine kids who do things like this, some of the presentation they put into it is spectacular).

I have a Chinese friend that sends out handmade New Year's cards every year, and hers are spectacular as well. I doubt I'll have the time and energy to produce notes as wonderful as hers, but it's the personal touch rather than the execution that matters.

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Happy February, everyone! I did both better and worse than I anticipated last month. Let's see how I manage this month. I'm starting out with a humdinger of a cold, so... the only really firm goal is to get the sisyfus story finished.

[ ] finish sisyfus story
[ ] work on counted cross stitch project
[ ] start notes for next writing project

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh, sorry about your cold, Jaymz. Hope you feel better soon.

Aphotic Ink

Registered
Reaction score
Alright. For the short, sweet month of February, my goals are:

[ ] get a story submission-ready (yes, another)
[ ] submit four times
[ ] finish five books (or magazines; those are usually shorter, and I'm being gentle because I'm starting a new job this month)
[ ] spend another three hours on rehauling my office

[ ] knit another skein of yarn for my sweater
[ ] finish a story draft (or outline)
[ ] export my G+ history
[ ] write/edit on ten different days (possibly more, but again, I'm being gentle with myself)

That's a good start.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
I'm in.

Goals:

[] Loosely plot Immortal
[] Run Blindsight through How to Think Sideways
[] Finish CE of antho story (due 2/1)
[] Do CE of my own story (due 2/15)
[] Oubliette words
[] Manifestation journal entry for Feb (2/5)
[] Feb newsletter
[] BEP: 10 pages

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
I'm going to try for manageable goals this month, since that shift worked well last month :)

[ ] ! Get editor booked for novella I've been sitting on. (Seriously, I need to do this already.)
[ ] Complete five more lessons of Margaret Atwood's Masterclass on writing.
● Decluttering progress:
[ ] Find a place to keep a new give-away box.
[ ] Start to put things in that box.
[ ] Sort and clear out office shelf.​
● Read:
[ ] The Outsider by Stephen King
[ ] The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
[ ] (Bonus) Finish Altered Carbon
● Hit my daily writing goals for the month:
[ ] Week One
[ ] Week Two
[ ] Week Three
[ ] Week Four
[ ] Week Five​

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
My goals don't change that much. Normal reading, daily writing, game planning, etc. I need to finish typing up edits and actually get back into querying with no more excuses. My spreadsheet isn't finished and is no longer in date, but if I say oh, I'll fix that first, it'll be another year before I query again.

Otherwise edit my SS story and write at least one other. Finish typing up the novel edits, get at least a little progress of Ginevra, all the normal stuff.

1. Read five books.
2. Edit SS story.
3. Draft one new story
4. Game planning.
5. Type up edit for S&M.
6. Send at least one query for it.
7. Write Ginevra.
8. Read or write/edit each day, with one dedicated writing day per week.
9. Bake a thing.

eternalised

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
My goals for February:

• Proofread The Sign of The Serpent prior to launch in late February.
  • Write a short story per week (total: 0/4).
  • Finish rewrite of Allegro Academy Book #1: Symphony of the Departed.
  • Figure out what to do with my Angel of Death Series.
  • Write two blog posts on my author blog per week (total: 1/8).
  • Post at least once a week on my Sims4 Stories blog (total: 0/4).
  • Write five reviews for I Heart Reading (total: 0/5).
  • Write another five reviews for I Heart Reading (total: 0/5).
  • Review three books for Ind’Tale Magazine (total: 0/3).
  • Write first draft of YA Warlock Book #1 (total: 0/60k words).
  • Work on the sequel of Ghost Slayer (total: 0/60k words).
  • Related to the two previous goals, write 2k words a day.
  • Come up with story idea for box set I’m participating in.
  • Prepare for the book tour of The Sign of The Serpent.
  • Launch The Sign of The Serpent end of February.

A lot of goals...again. But I'll be happy if I accomplish at least half of them.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Bombed my January goals so February is starting out with those. Let's get things off to a gentle start.

[0/15] Edit on average 5 pages a day.
[ ] Finish act one of the DtS edit.
[ ] Hit my January weight goal.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bunch of good goals for February here - go go go everyone!

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We're only three days into the month, but I thought I'd update since we're technically at the end of the first week.

Got a turn-down on one of the three submissions my agent made back in December; she's still waiting for word on the other two, and announced that she was gearing up for another round of submissions. As some of you know, the rights to my epic fantasy series reverted to me in December (followed shortly thereafter by my publisher tanking), and I am concerned about losing what little readership I have if the series remains in limbo. When I first started the reversion process in September, my agency asked for the opportunity to try to find a home for the series, but didn't start actively looking until after the actual December reversion. I have no confidence my agent has the chops or the contacts in the genre to find a reasonable home for my series (and that's a whole 'nother story), so I emailed the CEO of the agency Thursday to let him know that I while I was willing to give them another week or two to get responses on the outstanding submissions, I did not want my agent to make any further submissions as I was planning to self-publish if the two outstanding submissions are rejected (which I fully expect to happen). The CEO didn't respond, so I'm waiting for that other shoe to drop. He had already contacted my former publisher - twice - regarding the January 31st deadline for payment of my royalties for the final quarter of 2018, but got no response from her. So...I've ticked off the first item on my list, and am in a holding pattern on the second. Meantime, I'm on schedule with my other goals.

[x] Decide what to do with the first four novels of my series (depending on what happens with agent submissions from last month)
[ ] Crowbar final royalty payment from 2018 from my deadbeat publisher
[x] Week One - 504 words (approx. 250 words per day)
[ ] Week Two
[ ] Week Three
[ ] Week Four
[ ] Week Five
[ ] Read three books
[x] Week One
[ ] Week Two
[ ] Week Three
[ ] Week Four
[ ] Week Five
[ ] Hand-write and mail 1 postcard/note/letter per day, as part of InCoWriMo (if any of you would like to be a recipient, PM me with your address)
[x] Week One
[ ] Week Two
[ ] Week Three
[ ] Week Four
[ ] Week Five

Last edited:

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
Okay, so I know I pretty much just posted these, but I do best when I maintain my Monday check-in habit. Besides, I have a little bit of progress :)

[ ] ! Get editor booked for novella I've been sitting on. (Seriously, I need to do this already.)
● Decluttering progress:
[X] Find a place to keep a new give-away box.
[X] Start to put things in that box.
● Read:
[ ] The Outsider by Stephen King
[ ] The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
[ ] (Bonus) Finish Altered Carbon
[X] Week One
[ ] Week Two
[ ] Week Three
[ ] Week Four
[ ] Week Five

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I do the same, bdwilson - although I always update on Saturdays.

How are you liking the Atwood class?

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
:)

I'm enjoying it well enough mrsmig, at least with the few I've done so far, but I agree with you about her delivery and the level of the exercises. I was going to do the whole set of exercises at first, but decided to give myself permission to skip them if they were things I'd done for years. A refresher can be good, but I'd rather put that time elsewhere at the moment.

It is kind of interesting to listen to someone's perspective on the thing they're good at/known for doing. Don't know how many practical tips I'll get out of it, but I do like that aspect.

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
Update time. Well, I thought I'd finished my sisyfus story, but when I sent it to my CP, she sent it back and told me I've got 5 paragraphs of exposition. *sigh* So I need to fix that section and make it more interesting to read. The good news is, I think I'm finally getting over my cold/flu thing, so hopefully my brain is getting more oxygen and working better now.

It's been too humid and uncomfortable to do any sort of crafting stuff, so the cross-stitch hasn't progressed at all, and I haven't started notes on the new project yet either, since I'm not done sisyfus yet, and I don't like to mingle things like that.

[ ] finish sisyfus story – just have to fix the long exposition part

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Week one, and nothing ticked off as yet, but I've made lots of starts.

I've typed up a few of the S&M edits - it always takes me longer than I expect. I've finally managed to start editing my SS story (thank you for the encouragement in the SS thread), and I've done a couple of thousand words on Ginevra. No clue what I'm writing for the short story yet, but I'm happy to focus on that in the second half of the month. For once, no game planning! Normally that's my lazy fallback.

So lots of red, but except for the reading, I'm happy with the week. Reading - well, I've started the second Expanse book so hopefully I'll be reading a bit more. It's been a long time since I read the first, and I was worried about not knowing what was happening, but it summarises the important bits in a bit of exposition. Prior to that I was all 'Am I meant to know about this moon? Do I know about it?' But now I'm getting caught up in the story properly.

Baking is always done early because my D&D games are early and it's the thing I bake for, mostly. Chocolate muffins this time - I was going to do an orange and almond cake, but it was one of the players birthdays and he appreciates chocolate more. Nothing particularly wrong with the cake part - maybe cooked it a little high - but it was the icing that made it.

1. Read five books. 0/5
2. Edit SS story. In progress.
3. Draft one new story. Nope.
4. Game planning. Not really.
5. Type up edit for S&M. Started.
6. Send at least one query for it. Nope.
7. Write Ginevra. Some.
8. Read or write/edit each day, with one dedicated writing day per week. Yes!
9. Bake a thing. Chocolate muffins.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
MrsMig, BD, Jaymz, and Tamlyn--nice to see you all and to hear what is and isn't moving. Go team!

So far I'm on track for the by-week goals, which is good. It's because of this accountability.

[ ] Write two chapters per week on book two, with a 'two chapter forgiveness' for the month
[XX] Week One
[ ] Week Two
[ ] Week Three
[ ] Week Four​

[ ] Re-start querying in or before week ~3

[ ] Exercise five times per week :)
[XX] Week One
[ ] Week Two
[ ] Week Three
[ ] Week Four​

[ ] Try this incowrimo thing I heard about!

Last edited:

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here we are the end of the first full week of February, and I'm already slipping a bit on my goals. I expected this would happen to a degree, as I'm visiting my mother in Tennessee for her birthday and there is a lot of family stuff going on that is taking up most of my time, but yesterday my father-in-law passed away so as soon as I get back home I'll have to turn around and head north with my husband for whatever funeral arrangements have been made. I'm not going to beat myself up about it, but I'd hoped to do better.

I pulled the trigger on my agent and let her know I wasn't interested in her pursuing further submissions, so I will definitely be re-publishing the first four books of my series under my own imprint. I think my agency is going to make one more effort to get my 4th quarter 2018 royalties from my former publisher, but she has not responded to their previous two requests, nor to my personal appeal, so I think I can write off ever getting the balance of what I'm owed. So I'm crossing that off my list.

I finished two books this week - The Urban Bestiary and Congratulations, By the Way. The latter was so short that I'm not counting it again my goal books for the month. I've stayed on schedule with my m/s writing and short story reading, but not with the InCoWriMo writing (although I'm not far behind), nor with the exercise goals.

[x] Decide what to do with the first four novels of my series (depending on what happens with agent submissions from last month)
[x] Crowbar final royalty payment from 2018 from my deadbeat publisher
[x] Week One - 504 words (approx. 250 words per day)
[x] Week Two - 1610 words (approx. 230 words per day)
[ ] Week Three
[ ] Week Four
[ ] Week Five
[ ] Read three books 1 of 3
[x] Week One
[ ] Week Two
[ ] Week Three
[ ] Week Four
[ ] Week Five
[x] Week One
[ ] Week Two
[ ] Week Three
[ ] Week Four
[ ] Week Five

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
I'm sorry for your loss mrsmig :(

I did pretty well with my goals last week. I had planned to listen to some of the Margaret Atwood lectures yesterday, but my the time I went to start it all the video pages on the site stopped loading properly. They're back up this morning, so I'll try and work some in to make up for skipping out the last two weeks.

● Decluttering progress:
[X] Find a place to keep a new give-away box.
[X] Start to put things in that box.
● Read:
[X] The Outsider by Stephen King
[-] The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
[X] (Bonus) Finish Altered Carbon
[X] Week One
[X] Week Two
[ ] Week Three
[ ] Week Four
[ ] Week Five​

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, bdwilson (and to the others who PM'd me). My FIL has been in care with dementia for years, so this wasn't entirely unexpected nor without a certain sense of relief. He was so unhappy and confused. We're headed up Friday for the funeral Saturday.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
Update:

[] Loosely plot Immortal
[] Run Blindsight through How to Think Sideways ~Started
[x] Finish CE of antho story (due 2/1)
[] Do final edits on my own story (due 2/15)~About halfway through
[] Oubliette words
[] Manifestation journal entry for Feb (2/5)
[] Feb newsletter
[] BEP: 10 pages ~4 pages done

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
My condolences on your loss, mrsmig. It's never easy to lose a family member, even if they haven't really 'been there' for quite a while thanks to dementia.

I am still struggling with my health, although I think things are starting to look up finally. With limited energy, I've had to set everything else aside and focus on getting my sisyfus story done. It absolutely HAD to be completely done by the end of the month because otherwise I'd get too stressed. I finished doing the final edits yesterday! :) For the second half of the month I'll be focusing on notes for the next big writing project and making more progress on the cross-stitch.

[X] finish sisyfus story – DONE!

Status
Not open for further replies.