Querying new agent at agency where another agent is silent on a full

Random_is_easy

Registered
Reaction score
A while back I queried an agency that has only a general submissions inbox. The query led to full manuscript request, but from an agent I don't think is a good match. What I've read of this agent's clients and interests is fairly different than my work. Seemed odd, but was nice to get a full request. I've yet to hear back, but since my initial query, I've found contact info for an agent at the same agency that I think is a really good match.

Would love to eventually query the new agent, but not sure how to proceed. How long I should wait before querying the second agent? How, if at all, should I acknowledge my dealings with the first agent when I do query the second one?

screenscope

Registered
Reaction score
If this was me... and I have been in the same situation.

I would email the first agent after an appropriate time (two months if no response time is noted on their submissions page, or response time + two weeks if the time specified is reasonable, i.e. 3 months or less) asking if the agent has any further interest. If no, I'd respond with a thankyou and tell him/her that I planned to contact another agent in the agency.

Then I would query the second agent and tell him/her exactly what happened with the first agent.

Good luck with whatever you decide. But the first agent may love it, so you never know!

Random_is_easy

Registered
Reaction score
If this was me... and I have been in the same situation.

I would email the first agent after an appropriate time (two months if no response time is noted on their submissions page, or response time + two weeks if the time specified is reasonable, i.e. 3 months or less) asking if the agent has any further interest. If no, I'd respond with a thankyou and tell him/her that I planned to contact another agent in the agency.

Then I would query the second agent and tell him/her exactly what happened with the first agent.

Good luck with whatever you decide. But the first agent may love it, so you never know!

screenscope, thank you. Seems like straightforward advice, which usually is the best. The agency's response time is for queries only (2 months). I'm not quite at 3 months for the full, but when I'm a little past I'll ping the first agent per your suggestion...