February Challenge - Write Every Day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnus

Registered
Reaction score
This is a thread open to anyone who wants to start, maintain, or reinforce a writing habit. (It can also be about revision, editing, research -- all writing habits welcome!)

The basic idea is that repeating something daily, even if only for a short time, will build a habit that becomes stronger over time.

It's entirely up to you how much and in what way you participate. Post your goals if you like, or just check in when you can!

Here are some tips:

• Set achievable goals – I can't stress enough how important this is. To build a habit, doing something is more important than quantity or quality.
  • Keep up the habit as many days in the week as possible – even if it's just a few sentences or a bit of editing. It reinforces the habit and makes it easier to get started.
  • Mix it up – Try different types of goals, different times of the day, different tricks to reward or motivate yourself. A good habit is what works for you, not someone else.
  • Be patient – It takes a long time to build a strong habit and you'll always be facing new challenges. Get used to constantly adapting and you'll be better prepared for whatever problem comes up next.
  • Don't give up because you didn't hit your goal – When you fail to hit your target, your job is figuring out why it happened. That way, you can find ways to get around your roadblocks (and don't be scared of lowering the bar - doing something is better than doing nothing). If you share your stumbles in the thread, others might be able to help out with tips, tricks, and support! And sometimes, it's okay to just take a break for a day or two, or have scheduled days "off". Whatever works for you!

Good luck, and see you on February 1st!

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Wheee! Thank you Magnus!

BTW - I think the Challenge turns 1-and-a-half in February :D

I'm in as usual, with my daily 3. Most everyone has heard it, but in case for newcomers - I used to have a big problem of writing going out the window when Life got overwhelming, so I realized I had to find a way to keep writing even when Life Happened. My basic three for each day*

1) Add words to my WIP
2) at least 1 action of responsibility or self-care
3) at least 1 action to increase my earning ability

I allow myself one skip day per week in each category.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
Finish my third draft. Then onto the fourth draft. Only this draft is going to be more of a check-list type edit. I think. It's hard to know what I'm going to discover is wrong next.

Magnus

Registered
Reaction score
Right.

In February, my goals are:

#1 Submit a 1,500-5,000 word short story by Feb 10th (rough draft in progress, lots of work still to do).
#2 Submit a 1,000 word flash fiction by Feb 28th.
#3 Write a ~500 word character background I've promised to do for someone's RPG character.
#4 Heavily revise the 5,000 word story I wrote and submitted but didn't make the cut for an anthology.
#5 Prep work on my novel using the new writing book I'm reading (Story Genius by Lisa Cron).

As you can see, I've not been idle even though I haven't been posting here. But I want to press on even harder. It's time to submit more work and pressure myself to produce!

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
YAY!

1. Write every day, inspiration be damned.
2. Daily draft goal: 1k. At least
3. Keep chapter word count between 3k and 5k.
4. Don't beat myself up if I fall below my targets.

Last edited:

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
I've worked hard in January, 16000 words. But those words won't write themselves, so I need to up my work rate.

So that means a weekly target of no less than 3500 words/week. I have at least one dud day per week so I will be doing more on good days (600+). I would like to have one 1000+ day a week. And this is of utmost importance: if I meet my weekly target early, I need to keep going.

Sigh, I feel tired thinking just about it - but if I do this, I will have 50k words down on "paper" by the end of February.

Last edited:

WGough

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for starting the thread, Magnus.

I'm taking a page from Layla's pages and trying for a write/life balance sort of thing.

Goals for February:
1) Finish revising Book II of the saga
2) One domestic responsibility per day, at least (I had dark-chocolate & sea-salt covered cashews for dinner. Not a win.)
3) Read, read, read

Good luck, everybody!

Last edited:

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Finished editing Chapter 8. 35 more pages and Part II is done. Then the real work begins...

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
No goals for Feb -- just the usual plan to check in, and use my qualitative system to judge each day's efforts rather than hitting a specific target.

Well, today was a bit of a damp squib. Couldn't summon any enthusiasm so each word was pretty brutal. (Woo! Great start to the month! :partyguy:)

Day 1: Wee bit; 4.5 miles; ice swans

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Today's effort: 1526 words. Shana and Grog fought the ice demon. Well, more like they ran away.

I'm really tired and need sleepies.

Keep on swim swims

WGough

Registered
Reaction score
Day 1
A sputter of a day. Managed to get Book II printed after too many hours of jacking with the printer. Pink paper. Character revisions to commence in earnest tomorrow. Got some grocery shopping done and roasted a chicken.

Taylor: Congrats on that editing progress!

April Swanson: At least you worked it. WTG! Twirl, twirl, twirl.

Keithy: No wonder you're sleepy. That's some serious word count you got there.

Have a great weekend, folks!

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Happy February :)

Congrats on that editing, Taylor
Ugh. April, those teeth-pulling days…
Whoa, Keithy! Nice :)
Congrats on all the things Gough :)

Day 1
WIP 1/2 page
R/SC - got lots and lots of work done advancing a lot of these sewing projects that I set aside a few uh, years ago… Did chores & errands, then ballet.
$$ did some tech research for my audio project

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Day 1

Draft - 1065

Polished - 1 scene

Research - Body chemical that sexualizes the nerves. .

Submission - For What Was op ed to The North Gwinnett Voice

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Halfway through editing Chapter 9. Finally found some paragraphs that I felt perfectly comfortable cutting from the text. As much as I want to keep adding, I know I can’t if it’s to have a chance of success.

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
Keithy: Wooft, great start to Feb! Get some well-earned sleepies.

WGough: Ugh, printer pain. Still can't get mine to work (I've shouted at it and everything). Good luck with the revision. I'm excited to watch your progress :)

Layla: Yay for a varied, productive day! I did a Jane Fonda workout before lunch and there was a move called 'monkey plié', which was probably a crime against all ballet.

Cindyt: Oo-er! Well done for crackin' the 1k.

Second Moon: Yay, awesome start! (The good news -- February is a short month :tongue)

Taylor: Happy chopping. You and me have opposite problems :)

I've been Thinking and playing lots of tunes, and I'm getting a bit closer to unsticking the story. Because I've not finished a book in two years (MY GOD), I'm having to fight the panic. Deep breaths and wine all round.

Day 2: Wee bit; 1 mile (baby, it's cold outside); sushi and spore drives

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
DAY 1: No writing, but I did start making a checklist of things off the top of my head that need to be fixed in the fourth draft.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Nice work, Moon!
way to go, Taylor
ogod April - I feel you on the unsticking
starry, it's good to spend time with the WIP, right?

Day 2
WIP 1/4 page. I wanted to push, & then thought better. You know sometimes you are trying to untangle a ball of string, and there are times when pulling will bring a bunch of string out of the snarl and times when that will make it worse? Kind of like that...
R/SC - moar crafting and advancing in small steps thru many projects.
$$ - audio project - very wee bit

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
Guys, I'm going to have to bow out for February. Whatever I've got, it's one of those bugs where the phlegm drips down the back of your throat so you're constantly coughing if you take a deep breath. I've been living mostly on fruit and instant oatmeal. This morning I started seeing double, probably because I'm not eating enough.

If it turns out to be bronchitis, as I suspect, I won't want to do much of anything for the next two weeks. Best to just skip this month and see how I feel in March.

I'm going to pick up some wonton soup on my way home. I prefer that to chicken soup.

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Guys, I'm going to have to bow out for February. Whatever I've got, it's one of those bugs where the phlegm drips down the back of your throat so you're constantly coughing if you take a deep breath. I've been living mostly on fruit and instant oatmeal. This morning I started seeing double, probably because I'm not eating enough.

If it turns out to be bronchitis, as I suspect, I won't want to do much of anything for the next two weeks. Best to just skip this month and see how I feel in March.

I'm going to pick up some wonton soup on my way home. I prefer that to chicken soup.
I was like that this time last year. I was offered a writing job and had to turn it down because I so sick all I wanted to do was stay in bed. We will miss you. :Hug2:

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
starrystorm - I already have a list of things to sort out and I've only done 1/3 of the first draft. goodness knows how many issues I will have by the time the 4th draft comes.
Pterofan - good luck to you and get well soon. Sending some of Shana's healing powers to you!
Layla - sometimes you can't push (I know, ha ha) it sort of makes things worse.

I didn't write a thing today - but did jot down a couple of notes about fighting ice demons: "you need a well-constituted shield". Unfortunately Shana has neither the power nor knowledge to create such a thing.

keep on swimming :)

WGough

Registered
Reaction score
Day 2
Book II, read through and revision notes on four chapters. Ran an errand, did some cleaning.

Layla: Nice work. I get the ball of string. Sometimes you just need to be a cat.

Cindyt: Four times a lady!

The Second Moon: Great word count! I'm rooting for you.

Taylor: Cutting is so hard! Congrats.

April: I am familiar with the old monkey plié. If you don't feel like a fool, you're not doing it right. No panic! You already know how to do this. You've got the pry bar in your writer's toolbox, now unstick.

starrystorm: List-makers of the world, unite and take over!

Pterofan: You will be missed. Take care of yourself!

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Day 2

Draft - 1220

Polished - 2 chapters

Research - Old-fashion telephone parts.

April - It took Joseph Heller 8 years to write Catch 22.

Gough - So, you like Lionel Richie?

Status
Not open for further replies.