February Challenge - Write Every Day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Finished Chapter 4 of Part III. Though it’s a secondary world I’m using foreign words and items to show how the regions differ as our plucky band travels around. I’ve never had baobab fruit but after researching it I want to try

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Cindy - another goodly total from you. As far as chapter length goes, I do what seems natural. Mine are 2.5K to 3K.

Second moon - um, should I congratulate you on your zero words?

everyone else - well done with whatever you achieved.

As for me, I spent some time putting up a mirror (darn plasterboard fixings, I hate them) and cooking dinner so only had time for 348 words. "Mirror mirror on the wall, how I hope you will not fall."

I decided on a name for the ship that rescues Shana from the sea: "Swiftsure". She's spent most of the last two days vomiting overboard. Next will be a storytelling scene.

Keep swimming :)

Last edited:

xenylic

Advancing to the Castle Age
Registered
Reaction score
This weekend was pretty tough, not gonna lie. My mom had surgery (which was planned), and everything went perfectly and she really handled the whole thing phenomenally, but I was really down about the whole ordeal.

Anyway, still did have some good moments with people over and today I managed to tap into my working zone and saved myself from some serious backlogged homework.

Roughly 600 words of school work written today and tomorrow I get to start back up with my book stuff. Last week I left it off on a very juicy part that I'm really itching to get back to.

See you guys tomorrow!

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
Day 17

Draft - 1030

Keithy - I’ve got chapters that are over 4k. I like the name Swiftsure. The ship in my historical novel is Ship Dunwoody after a neighboring town. It just felt right.

After he sinks the cabin cruiser, Billy and Carolina board his trawler yacht and head for Kitty Cay. He receives a mysterious call telling him that Lola, his ex DEADco partner and girlfriend, is missing. So he turns back toward Miami.

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
Second Moon: Yay for shiny idea!

Layla: Woohoo for 1/2 page and first customer! *High fives fellow Voyager fan*

Keithy: DS9 is next on my list. Congrats for passing that 1k mark again.

Cindyt: I saw royal albatross in New Zealand and those buggers were MASSIVE. Great job drafting again. I like my chapters around 3-5k, but in recent years they’ve moved closer to the 2k mark.

Taylor: Nice work!

xenylic: I’m glad your mum’s surgery went well. Remember to take care of yourself too :Hug2:

Been up since 4 so super snoozy, but I did write 2k of this new project. I just couldn’t stand being on a break any longer! Anyway, we’ll see how it goes…

Day 18: Decent bit; 8 miles; discount pizza

WGough

Registered
Reaction score
Day 18
Drive-by. Revision notes on a half dozen chapters or so. At the 75% mark. Bang Bang Shrimp. Yum! Car issues. Ack!

Hoping everyone has a good week.

xenylic

Registered
Reaction score
Drive-by since I'm so wiped today.

Got 1,300 words done! Not the juiciest content that I ever wrote, but I'm okay with it. Also went back and practiced all the stuff I wanted to for piano.

Tried to finish off with a little fun, but didn't really feel into it tonight. Oh, well. Now to finish up my reading for tonight.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Looks like a drive-by party tonight

Day 18

WIP - 1/4 page (and glad to get to it. I'm sitting a little shaky on the wagon…)
R/SC. more machine sewing; then went to the fabric store to get cloth for the next mock-up of one garment, and thread for another. Read some of the material for the health-care issue. made my lunch for tomorrow.
$$ - a little bit of audio work, a little bit of indy work

Yesterday

WIP - skip day
R/SC - earning service, sewing
$$ - wee bit of indy research

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Cindy, I named the ship swiftsure because Shana is sure she wants to get off it, and swiftly. Your work rate is impressive as usual.

Second Moon - congratulations on your increase in word count. I think it's an increase by infinity, but I'm not sure.

April - yay, pizza!

xenylic - 1300 words down on "paper" is better than none, because some of them can be good, and the bad ones can be made better.

Right, despite some family nonsense, I did 1403 words today, so I am in with a shout of my 50000 words target by the end of this month. I am currently ~5500 short of that mark. Shana has been listening to the ship's men telling tales.

Keep swimming! :)

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Day 18

Draft - 1042

Research - Catheters.

April - WTG on 2k. In Rime of the Ancient Mariner by Samuel Taylor Coleridge, if you killed an albatross it would bring bad luck. In my novel just the appearance of one is a harbinger to tragedy.

Gough - Nice work! I’m a bit pasted the halfway mark myself.

Layla - YaY for ¼ page! I wanted to drive by so I could continue reading about truck stop murders in Texas, but forced myself to the fun grind.

Keithy - That name is clever. WTG. on the word count!

Billy begins investigating the disappearance of ex lover Lola Jordan. He arrives at her cottage on Biscayne Drive before the CSI guys and gathers evidence and hits pay dirt.

Last edited:

KayMitch

Registered
Reaction score
Well I'm 18 days late to the party, but I wrote 226 words today which is the first I've written since like.... Early January so go me. I've decided to try rewriting one of my old manuscripts in first person to see which version I like more.

Other updates on my life. My rescue puppy is officially 8 weeks old today and finally a real puppy. I didn't realize how newborn like he was until recently. I got him at 3 weeks old after someone rescued his litter from being dropped in a river, and he was seriously just a little dollop of puppy that barely moved and needed soft food and had to poop every 30 minutes. Now he runs and plays and barks and knows sit, down, and to ring the bells to go outside to potty. My older dog absolutely adores him and lets him climb all over her and chew on her. And I got my deceased pup's ashes back a week ago and that hit me hard again. It's a little strange still to wake up in the morning and not have his goofy face and giant ears pushed up against me. They say time heals all wounds and since I'm writing again, I guess that must be true.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
DAY 18: Wrote 500 words on my survival novel.

Completed a checklist of things I need to change on my UF. I wrote everything down by chapter then I highlighted each chapter by how difficult it was going to be red for hard, yellow for tricky, and green for easy. It was strange how it played out in the end. My first three chapters were all red, then the middle was yellow, then the ending was green. Only a few chapters needed nothing changed.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Now through Chapter 6, and the level of detail is only growing. My eyes are so tired.

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
WGough: Yay for 75%! Hope your car gets fixed pronto.

xenylic: It’s not always gonna be fun, but you still got a crap-ton of words down, so well done!

Layla: 1/4 page for the win.

Keithy: 1403! Those words are flyin’!

Cindyt: I imagine the bad luck would come from all the albatross’ pals coming to take their revenge. I have nothing to say regarding your latest research topic :p

KayMitch: Sounds like you’re on a real emotional rollercoaster, so any words are a win :)

SecondMoon: Nice work!

starrystorm: I always find the beginning needs the most work. I think it’s because you don’t really know the book when you start out — even if you’ve planned it.

Taylor: I use f.lux on my computer to block out blue light, which might help those peepers?

Wrote 2600 words, mostly exploratory waffle, but I’ll take ‘em. I also did a bit of world building. Gotta figure out ma magic system while sticking to as few rules as possible. Break-shmake.

Day 19: Decent bit; 8.5 miles (I MADE IT TO MORDOR!)*; be still, my beating heart

*FYI I’m doing the Walk to Mordor challenge :) Now I ride an eagle to Minas Tirith, and then it’s onwards to Isengard. Don’t know why the eagle couldn’t take me all the way home …

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
WGough: Yay for 75%! Hope your car gets fixed pronto.

xenylic: It’s not always gonna be fun, but you still got a crap-ton of words down, so well done!

Layla: 1/4 page for the win.

Keithy: 1403! Those words are flyin’!

Cindyt: I imagine the bad luck would come from all the albatross’ pals coming to take their revenge. I have nothing to say regarding your latest research topic :p

KayMitch: Sounds like you’re on a real emotional rollercoaster, so any words are a win :)

SecondMoon: Nice work!

starrystorm: I always find the beginning needs the most work. I think it’s because you don’t really know the book when you start out — even if you’ve planned it.

Taylor: I use f.lux on my computer to block out blue light, which might help those peepers?

April, I have that ap on mine as well, but I’m waiting for my computer to get fixed. I’ve been editing a hard copy for the last several days.

WGough

Registered
Reaction score
Day 19
Revision notes on one and a half chapters of Book II.

xenylic: Nice word count. Rest up!

Layla: Congrats on the 1/4 page!

Keithy: Wow! Great work.

Cindyt: Catheters all around! Nice word count.

KayMitch: So glad to hear from you. Sounds like an interesting writing project. Puppy sounds so fun. And a smarty. Congrats.

The Second Moon: Yes, yay!

starrystorm: Nice drafting. I like your method.

Taylor: Congrats on your progress.

April: Waffle or no, that's a ton of work. Congrats!

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished for the day (and it's been a difficult day)

Cindy - catheters - yikes!

Kaymitch - well done on the 226. Hello to the puppy too.

Second moon - 475, yay from me.

Starrystorm - 500 words sounds like survival (and progress)

Taylor - I'm hoping this computer stays alive for a while longer. It has occasional hiccups.

And well done April for your 2600 words.

As for me, despite more family nonsense, I wrote 2093 words. It's story time for the sailors and Shana has listened all agog to the tale of Captain Dirk and the Black Demon, a nautical tale featuring the Knight of the Spoon and Zareth the Unspeakable, also known as King of the Ocean Demons, the Lord of the Deep and the Sovereign of the Seas. It's really fun to write a story within a story, and this one is a myth that combines traditional ideas with some odd quirks.

Just keep swimming! :)

xenylic

Registered
Reaction score
Keithy: Holy crap! Nice job, Keithy!

WGough: Way to keep on top of those revision notes!

April: Damn, you killed it with word count today! Awesome job, and go wild with that exploratory phase!

Taylor: Hope you can get fully rested tonight. Way to knock out Chapter 6!

starrystorm: That's a cool system! Congrats on the 500 words too!

The Second Moon: Great work!

KayMitch: Long time no see and welcome back! It's so tough to get into the writing groove after such a long break, but you're handling quite well! And that's so cute, with your new pup! I'm sure he will be a bundle of joy for you for years to come!

Layla: Methodical as always, Layla. Great job with all that prep, and the quarter page!

1.1k words done today for me! One more day for this week, and then I've got my long weekend. :D

In other news, went through my classes relatively painlessly today. Had myself a couple hours of genuine fun with video games, and now approaching some of my reading and late night exercises. See you all tomorrow!

Last edited:

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Keithy - good to hear about your 1403 :)
Nice work with the 1042, Cindy
Ah, Kay. Good to see you. You got a lot of room in your heart. Congrats on the 266.
Yay, indeed Moon. WTG with the 475!
Whew starry - revision work and new words - nice work!
Keep on keeping on Taylor!
APRIL! You're back in tha saddle! Congrats on the 2.6K (magic systems are the bane of my existence.)
Nice work, Gough
Dang, back at it Keithy - congrats on the 2K!
Xen! Methodical? You and me both! Congrats on that 1.1k

Day 19
WIP - 1/4 page. I'm hoping to get some clarity about the magic in my world, trying to let it come to me rather than pushing....
R/SC - earning service, called my employer to start a case for help with the insurance problem, sent the person who I spoke to the documents she requested. Did a wee bit of sewing & a lot of reading.
$$ - some review for indy

KayMitch

Registered
Reaction score
Drive by, but hey another day of writing go me. 761 words today <3

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Day 19

Draft - 1027 (3 pages)

April - My MC has been in a coma for three months, so there’s tubes stuck up everywhere, if you can dig that. 2600 words! Wow!

Gough - WTG on revisions!

Layla - YAY ¼ page!

Keithy - 2093!

My editor okayed a Halloween article in March. :Sun: It’s a true ghost story ripped out of my childhood. I’ve titled it The Lurker.

Last edited:

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
Day 19: 1,423 words

That's almost 1.5K! :hooray:

BTW, I've reached the final part of the last short story in this collection. Editing is coming up. I'm so scared. :scared: But I know my beloved characters will stick with me. :heart:

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
DAY 20: Wrote about 450 words to redo chapter two. It feels more like a crappy first draft. Also, I think I might have picked the wrong setting again, but I don't know.

Kay- Hooray for another good writing day!

Cindyt- Wow, 3 pages is impressive.

SecondMoon- Editing is scary at first, but then it just gets annoying. :D Actually, sometimes it's fun since it makes you see your book in a whole new way.

Status
Not open for further replies.